PDA

View Full Version : cheap theft protection?

AZmike
07-16-2002, 01:31 PM
I'm thinking about conecting a switch in series to the clutch interlock circuit and then hide the switch somewhere under the dash or seat. So if i put the toggle switch to open every time i get out of the car, it wouldn't ever start for anyone else. Leaving the switch open would be the same as trying to start the car with the clutch engaged.

I thought it would be a cheap, effective way to keep my car from disappearing. Sure it doesn't protect my stereo, but if some one really wanted my car they'd have to tow it (and who would bother to tow an old stock 13 year-old accord?).

So has anyone else tried this? What do you think?

pimp86LX
07-16-2002, 01:33 PM
yeah tha'd be neat man, but if they really wanted your car they'd take it ;-) but like ya said y would they want a 13 yr old accord, lol

TeKKnoTeKK
07-16-2002, 01:57 PM
sounds like a good idea....you could also do the same thing with the starter.

pimp86LX
07-16-2002, 01:59 PM
ok if u have an auto..would it be easy to do the same thing with the park gear thing?

AZmike
07-16-2002, 03:31 PM
i thought about the 12 V on the starter first, but i didn't want to bother running the wiring through the firewall.

you should be able to set up somthing similar for an automatic as long as your car won't let you start out of park or shift out of park without having the brake pedal down. all you need to do is find any switch or sensor that says 'it's ok to start the engine' and connect a switch to is so even if the car should start it will think something is wrong and won't turn over ith the switch turned off. i'd like to be more help, but i'm not as familiar with the safety interlocks on automatics.

pimp86LX
07-16-2002, 04:08 PM
got a system? if ya do just run it along the same route as your primary, through that rubber thing

Bobs89LXi
07-16-2002, 07:49 PM
I have a guaranteed way to prevent punks from hot wiring your car. Remove the ECU fuse. It's quick, easy, and costs you nothing. :D

87DXHatch
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
I know this was tackled before, but I don't remember an answer...

Would that work on a DX?

TeKKnoTeKK
07-16-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Bobs89LXi
I have a guaranteed way to prevent punks from hot wiring your car. Remove the ECU fuse. It's quick, easy, and costs you nothing. :D

I don't know about that one Bob.....While I was working on my stereo one day I blew a fuse and didn't know which one. Finally a couple days later I got around to checking it out and the fuse I blew was my ECU fuse, I was driving around for days like that :D

Shagen
08-03-2002, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a great cheap Idea...More information for Auto's would be good though

netfreak
08-03-2002, 08:16 PM
Get a 12V blinking LED and wire it somewhere below the steering wheel area and put fake security system stickers on your window. You can find the LED at radio shack.

Dman87LX
08-08-2002, 09:35 PM
fake leds eh? what happens when the thief wants to test it by accidentally bumping into your car really hard? :)

Thats like the same as me putting a Type R sticker on my car to add 20 HP. hee hee hee

netfreak
08-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Hahaha