PDA

View Full Version : r?

coolcatkoko2000
05-15-2004, 06:50 PM
whats better? pushin 2 subs with 230 watts or givin one sub 460 watts?

what will i get more boom with?

AccordEpicenter
05-18-2004, 09:06 PM
that depends on the subs/box/amp... why not give both subs 460w

HostileJava
05-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Really depends on what your after, what's the RMS and Peak for the AMP and each sub?

DanLXI88
05-19-2004, 09:43 AM
As long as we are talking RMS and the same speakers it would be equal. 2 speakers @ 230 watts RMS would be as loud as 1 @ 460 watts RMS.

Vanilla Sky
05-19-2004, 11:02 AM
As long as we are talking RMS and the same speakers it would be equal. 2 speakers @ 230 watts RMS would be as loud as 1 @ 460 watts RMS.
noi, not always... yes, you have the same power either way, but one way you have twice the cone surface...

PERSONALLY i'd go with two of them, and run them in stereo

HostileJava
05-19-2004, 11:40 AM
noi, not always... yes, you have the same power either way, but one way you have twice the cone surface...

PERSONALLY i'd go with two of them, and run them in stereo

I'm with you.

ivanfbi
05-19-2004, 12:46 PM
well, don't forget, that you get more weight in the car with 2 subs in dual box, than 1 in single box...but talking about the sound I would prefer 2 subs

DanLXI88
05-19-2004, 01:50 PM

Yes that is true but with more power going to just the one you are moving it faster and harder, which would balance it out. Try it out. Just keep in mind your box will have to accommodate for the extra airflow

Vanilla Sky
05-19-2004, 05:39 PM
i would still use two subs as opposed to one, just to have the headroom... that way if later on you wanted to upgrade amps, you have the choice without having to replace your current sub or adding another like it...

and i believe two 12's with the same wattage moves more air than one 12... you can only move a single cone so much... if you have two pistons traveling half the distance as one piston, then it would be equal... remember that as a rule of thumb, as you double wattage, the volume goes up by 3dB... doubling you cone surface adds 3 decibles (assuming you apply the same wattage to the second sub)... but here is where some electronics theory and physics comes into play... in theory the single sub gets stressed more and more as you double the wattage... if you double the wattage and add another sub, using that wattage and having the applied wattage same to both drivers, at least in SPL comp, rule of thumb says it would add 3 dB... in a lower wattage system, the subs work more efficiently at a lower power, thus in theory producing more sound... this probably is subject for debate, and most likely can't be measured... that's the theory behind it, though... and i didn't copy that from somewhere, i used my head and some basic physics and electronics knowledge to come to that...

shepherd79
05-19-2004, 06:17 PM
i would go with mono setup for the subs. i think they sound a hole lot better when they hit at the same time.
i hate when subs hit at diff time in stereo mode.

Vanilla Sky
05-19-2004, 06:32 PM
well, when it's supposed to be off balance, i want it off balance...

HostileJava
05-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Yes that is true but with more power going to just the one you are moving it faster and harder, which would balance it out. Try it out. Just keep in mind your box will have to accommodate for the extra airflow

I have tried it, I went from one sub and then got a different box and got an identical sub to fill the second chamber, I much prefer that to the single. The bass is alot smoother and it hits harder when you crank it, if you have any doubts ask the guys who saw me at the CT meet last year with an empty chamber in my box while i was waiting for the 2nd sub I ordered.

DanLXI88
05-25-2004, 12:06 PM
I have tried it, I went from one sub and then got a different box and got an identical sub to fill the second chamber, I much prefer that to the single. The bass is alot smoother and it hits harder when you crank it, if you have any doubts ask the guys who saw me at the CT meet last year with an empty chamber in my box while i was waiting for the 2nd sub I ordered.

:bow: I believe you Hostile :rockon: . Maybe you were over powering the single? Maybe the cubic displacements of the box were not optimal for the single sub. I'm just saying in theory they should be the same.