PDA

View Full Version : Should i do a "how to hollow out your catalitic converter thread?

StillAHondaFreak
05-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey guys, i just hollowed out my Catalytic Converter friday, took quite a few pictires

If anybody would like to see a how to on this subject matter. please let me kow.

Thanx, Tim

A20A1
05-16-2004, 02:56 AM
Safety is the main concern... if you want to make a how to go ahead. We can discuss puting it in the how-to section later.

87AccordsterLx
05-16-2004, 08:59 AM
uh... Well... I did mine as also and all you have to do is beat the insides out with a long screwdriver or something... not to difficult. Im not sure if people would need a how-2 but you are welcome to make one if you like. Also, it's spelled "Catalytic Converter".

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 09:43 AM
it's too straight forward to have a how to, i think most would know how to do it with just 3 sentences, infact i already told some dude how to do it in the "gutting cat" thread. i don't think you really need one, but if you want you should make one just for fun.

SiR
05-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Or just get a straight pipe like me!

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 05:46 PM
dang! everone has straigh pipes, mine is just sittin under the bed waiting to be welded.

zero.counter
05-16-2004, 06:12 PM
A write-up is not needed, test pipe is good.

BTW, what were you expecting to gain by doing so? Sound....1/2HP...notoriety?

It is bad for our already failing environment, but yeah...who cares? :(

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 06:16 PM
yah i only want some sound. i know that's gonna ge me wat?....000003 hp if even any. lol. and i guess it's just the fun of doing stuff to your car. if you care about the environment soo much, i'll respect your wishes and wont do the test pipe, but you must know, lots of people are guttin their cats and doin test pipes, soo i can always be the oddman out if that helps the environment much.

300700'88lx-i
05-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Damnit people, don't gut your cat. It doesn't do shit for power. If anything, it hurts power more than anything. A big empty void in the exhaust piping will lead to turbulance and stagnation, hence leading to restricted exhaust flow and reduced exhaust gas velocity. Not to mention that the process of guttting your cat is bad for your health because of the materials that the converter is made from, and the result is bad for the environment (i.e. pollution). A newer converter that's not all plugged up will only add a couple of psi of back pressure, nothing major enough to hurt performance. If you still insist that your catalytic converter is hurting performance, get a high flow cat, or get a test pipe. Gutting your cat is just a redneck myth for power. Don't do it damnit.

Justin86
05-16-2004, 06:28 PM
OMG why don't we start having how to's on changing you oils or maybe even how to change a spare tire. I agree with crazy hair guy that gutting the cat only hurt performance. I gutteed mine and it was a slug off the line and the top end was the same if not worse. The only thing it did good was make the exhaust sound more aggressive.

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 06:38 PM
OMG why don't we start having how to's on changing you oils or maybe even how to change a spare tire. I agree with crazy hair guy that gutting the cat only hurt performance. I gutteed mine and it was a slug off the line and the top end was the same if not worse. The only thing it did good was make the exhaust sound more aggressive.
:rofl: :lol: crazy hair guy!!!!! test pipe betta. period.
edit. dude how come our muffler runs all the way down to like the cat before you can disconnect it? if it was like civics, we can just disconnect it at the muffler, make it seem like a stock exhaust but it sounds sooo dman domestic.

300700'88lx-i
05-16-2004, 06:40 PM
I agree with crazy hair guy.......
:321: I'll get it cut.....one of these days.........

Justin86
05-16-2004, 06:56 PM
ha ha ha good stuff, I get my hair cut this week when Renee gets back and it's my B-day tuesday so I hope I get a surprise. :D

Deebo 31003: I'll do a how to on masturbation

StillAHondaFreak
05-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Ok, first of all, i didnt mean to piss anybody off, i just figured like everything else in life, there some jackass somewhere who dosent know how to do anything, and i was trying to be helpfull.

And another thing, i wasnt looking for sound (ok mabey I wanted the pasesetter a little deeper) or power, i just knew that the cat was clogged, because the exhaust was really bad when i would go to work in the morning, after about 5 or 10 minnutes (when the cat heated up?????) the fumes would die off, so i knew that it had something to do with the cat, and since the car came from ohio, and is sponsered by Rusty (just kidding, but seriously though, its got cancer bad) Replacing the cat wasnt an option, so i just cleaned it out.

So rather than burn on me or talk shit, if you already know how to do it (and I am fully aware that MOST of you do) Then thats great, i was just trying to help, some people are shy and afraid to ask questions for fear of being burned on. :flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :flipa:

johnwc723
05-16-2004, 07:33 PM
guys seriously dont drill out your cat or even take it off... it turns like 2 hydro-carbons per second into like 200! and for what kind of performance increase? not much, i mean if your CAT is ghetto as hell and clogged than you might notice something but if its alright dont fucking be one more person that damages the environment for the sake of .1 HP ... do something else to your car for that .1 hp or just plain get a better car!

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 07:54 PM
hey dude, test pipes endager the environment too. soo don't do anything. just sit and watch tv. :) only reason i would do something like gutting the cat is just for fun. doin anymods whether it hurts the envo or not is fun to do, but i'd get bored quick and find something else to do. if youre gonna hurt the environment anyways, go with the test pipe. gutted cats will cause turbulance. and hondafreak, no one is bashin on ya man, we're just saying don't to the how-to, and dude, you say people who don't know how to gut the cat jackasses? wtf?

StillAHondaFreak
05-16-2004, 08:01 PM
no, youre reading too far into it, i said:

i just figured like everything else in life, there some jackass somewhere who dosent know how to do anything, and i was trying to be helpfull.

but seriously tho, like Justin86 said, and i agree, this is about as redundant as a how to change your oil thread, but i was in the military with some guys who didnt know how to change a friggin tire, "thats the gas, thats the brake, thats where the gas goes" thats all they knew!!!! It was really funny, cause i used to ask these guys "dude, what the hell did you get on the ASVAB? A 15??" Seriously, theres people in this world that are dumber than a box of dry dog shit.

NOTE, I said in this world, not in this site!!!

I like you guys, im not here to bust anybodys ba11$, im just stating facts

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 08:13 PM
still that's no reason to call someone a jackass, a jackass is like one who's mean to you and stuff. they're more like...how should i put it, car-stupid yaahh! nah jk, hey different poeple have different expertise, they might know alot about computers or something, you never know

StillAHondaFreak
05-16-2004, 08:17 PM
If i offended anybody, im sorry, but for what its worth, these guys werent good at ANYTHING, couldnt run, could barely pass the swim quals, just useless, the RDC in basic used to always tell them they should have joined the marines, atleast they could find a good use for them, as bullet sponges, oh man, those were the days man, damn that guy was funny as hell :lol: :lol: :lol:

88accordhb
05-16-2004, 08:19 PM
hahahahah

Justin86
05-16-2004, 09:33 PM
screw the enviroment, I have no cat and never will. If that cat is so damn important and everyone should have one, then tell me why the fuck are they so damn expensive. I wanted a better exhaust and having to spend $200 for a good damn restrictive cat was not in the picture. It's not just about the hp, it's all about the $$$$$$.

88ebrake
05-17-2004, 07:33 AM
well i dont need a how to gut the sumbitch i need one to get these damn bolts loose they are rusted like hell and pissin me off............youll are funny as hell though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Vinny
05-17-2004, 07:37 AM
If that cat is so damn important and everyone should have one, then tell me why the ---- are they so damn expensive.

You, my brother, just answered your own question didn't you :D

88accordhb
05-17-2004, 09:15 AM
screw the enviroment, I have no cat and never will. If that cat is so damn important and everyone should have one, then tell me why the fuck are they so damn expensive. I wanted a better exhaust and having to spend $200 for a good damn restrictive cat was not in the picture. It's not just about the hp, it's all about the $$$$$$.
i am with you 100% my dear friend. let us celebrate

ChaseR
05-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Down with the evironment!

When it goes down I will play the worlds smallest voilin! As the Treehuggers weep!
:violin:

johnwc723
05-17-2004, 03:44 PM
whatever guys, well one of the reasons why cats are so expensive is because in order for the chemical reaction to take place they have to have platinum in them, platinum isnt the cheapest metal

as for down with the environment.. i guess man definetly bad ass there.. there is no reason to not do a little to help the environment if you can.. its all gonna come back and bite you in the end if you arent dead yet