PDA

View Full Version : broken tranny

nismoracer99
05-16-2004, 11:50 PM
im a n00b so im not sure where to post this problem im having. anyways i own a 1989 accord dx with a carb engine. i just bought the car a week ago, while still owning a POS '88 ford taurus lx, that is still in my garage getting its second head gasket replacement (long story).

anyways, the tranny is broken, was taken out by a transmission shop to have a look at it, now the tranny is in the trunk. along with a box of bolts, which is a huge puzzle. i bought the car with the tranny already taken out, so i have no idea where the bolts go!!! there is about 30-40 bolts!!!! i was wondering if its suppose to have that many bolts, cause i bought this car from a mechanic, so those might be bolts from some other car :\ . if anyone wants pics of the bolts, i can see if my camera will work long enough to take a quick pic.

here is a pic of the car. the window was busted out to pop open the hood, so some people can steal parts off the engine. the parts have been replaced though, besides the broken window. btw, im tired, its very late here, so i might not make sense

http://www.mm2x.com/upload/files/newaccord.jpg

momo8517
05-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Any idea as to what's wrong with the tranny? My current feeling is that you should just head to a junkyard and find a car with a tranny in it, and get that one and put it in (keep track of all bolts). Not knowing the story with the tranny thats in the trunk, that's what I'd do, just throw the damn thing out. Also that pile of bolts in the trunk (30-40!!!???) is kind of disconcerting. Hell, it could be a good time for a 5-speed swap, if you're up for it.

Step one, however, is to get out and buy a service manual for the car, because either way, you're up for a good sized job. If you want a list of trannies that will work for your car, just search on it. There's some other cars besides accords that you can swap trannies with...1g integras and 2g preludes, I think...but search.

nismoracer99
05-17-2004, 12:54 PM
yep, it already a 5-speed, and i have a service manual for it now. good idea, i should go to the junkyard, take a tranny off an accord there is see what bolts are actually needed!

unfortunatly, i can't work on my accord until my POS for taurus is out of the garage. :mad: