PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make performace springs that dont lower?

mike_fx_u
07-16-2002, 05:35 PM
Anyone make performace springs that dont lower?

TeKKnoTeKK
07-16-2002, 07:10 PM
why would you want a performance spring that doesn't lower? The point of performance springs is to lower your center of gravity for improved handling as far as I know, I guess unless you have a rally car that wouldn't apply.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-16-2002, 07:50 PM
TRY THOSE TYPES OF SHOCKS..
THOSE ARE PERFORMANCE SHOCKS THAT DO NOT LOWER UR AUTO!!!

Jims 86LXI HB
07-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
TRY THOSE TYPES OF SHOCKS..
THOSE ARE PERFORMANCE SHOCKS THAT DO NOT LOWER UR AUTO!!!

KYB GR-2's are not performance struts, for proper performance they should not be used with stiffer lowering springs, that of course mean not to use them with stiffer regular height springs as well.

Bilstein H.D.'s are only a meger 15% stiffer than stock. Which brings up the issue of compairing them to tokico H.P.s, which are know for being to soft with lowering springs in the front. I tried the Bilsteins and they suck with lowering springs, to much bounce and not enough control as they let the springs do to many things.
I switched to koni's and tamed the springs. Only my recently revalved Bilsteins outperform the koni's. Konis are not stiff, they do the job of working with your springs by being firm, not stiff.

I know asking for stiifer springs that don't lower seems like insanity to us, but guess what. If you call OPMotorsports, the guys that helped people race 3rd gen accords, and tell them that
you want a setup that can compete on the track. The first thing "blake" will tell you is that you need stiffer springs that don't lower. That is exactly what he told me, quote. Your springs infulence your cars handling more than struts do. The struts are their to control the springs during weight transfers and when the road is less than smooth.

They's not easy way to install stiffer springs and stay at a stock ride height. Their are 2 companies that offer 1" drops. You could buy generic stiffer springs in a variety of stiffnesses and length. But they are not specific to any car, so geting the ride height to match would be really really tricky. Or you could buy ground-control coilovers and set them to stock ride height. And if you wanted you could get them even stiffer than normal, for a extra fee of course. But if you got them stiffer than normal, even the koni's would not be stiff enough.

mike_fx_u
07-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Jim.

Do you know who sells coilovers for our cars(beside nopi.com) and is ground control the only brand for our cars. And do you have any experience with sway bars, tower bars, or know of the best shocks for stock ride height. I want to retain the stock height because i like the look of the same clearance around the whole wheel, i hate the tucked look its gay as hell unless u got airbags to sit it down when parked. Also I read that if you're at stock height, 45mm offset 18s" rims won't rub on inside supension components.

Iam investing $1600 on putting in a new engine(blew the other) in my 89 Lxi so I will be looking in too further improvement since Ive allready made the disicion to stick with this car even though i got the car cheaper that the cost of a new engine due to blown head gasket at purchase.

Thanks For Your Help
Mike
[email protected]

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-17-2002, 07:06 PM
[COLOR=RED]AWWW THATS WHAT I UNDERSTOOD FROM YOU, WHEN I ASKED YOU TWO MONTHS AGO......AND HE STATED THAT HE WANTED ONES THAT DO NOT [B][COLOR=BLUE]LOWERTHE CAR....... SO I SUGGESTED THOSE!!! NOW IF U WANT TO GET ALL PISS IN THE PANTS ABOUT IT GO AHEAD... THAT LIL PARAGRAPH WAS NOT NECESSARY WAS IT? JUST CLARIFY THE MISTAKE .

Jims 86LXI HB
07-17-2002, 09:29 PM
[COLOR=RED]AWWW THATS WHAT I UNDERSTOOD FROM YOU, WHEN I ASKED YOU TWO MONTHS AGO......AND HE STATED THAT HE WANTED ONES THAT DO NOT [B][COLOR=BLUE]LOWERTHE CAR....... SO I SUGGESTED THOSE!!! NOW IF U WANT TO GET ALL PISS IN THE PANTS ABOUT IT GO AHEAD... THAT LIL PARAGRAPH WAS NOT NECESSARY WAS IT? JUST CLARIFY THE MISTAKE .

Ok, I have edited the paragraph that you viewed as offensive to you. In return I have also edited your comments since I took care of the matter. Now lets talk about what went wrong.

I have always said its ok to use GR-2's on a stock accord that you never plan on lowering. That in no way implies they are performance struts. I've also said in the past that they should not be used with stiffer lowering springs. It appeared to me that by pronouncing the GR-2's and the Bilsteins as performacne struts, that you were promoting the kind of advice that I have learned is not a good idea for our cars. And because it is so difficult to get that concept threw to people, I am offten forced to give allot of information that my get taken as a massive put down. But in trying to set the record straight, I rolled right past some simple thinking on my part. LIKE GIVING YOU A SIMPLE CORRECTIVE ANSWER. That was a mistake on my part. I should have know better. And for that I publically apologize. I am sorry.

TeKKnoTeKK
07-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by mike_fx_u
Jim.

Do you know who sells coilovers for our cars(beside nopi.com) and is ground control the only brand for our

Plenty of companies do.....Arospeed, dropzone, skunk2, RSRacing, ground control. They also sell coilover conversions at opmmotorsports that you can use with your existing lowering springs. Also keep in mind that many people have used the 90-93 accord coilovers also. But I thought you didn't want to lower your car?

Also I read that if you're at stock height, 45mm offset 18s" rims won't rub on inside supension components.

That is correct....they won't rub lowered either. I have 18's with a 45mm offset and a 2.5" drop, they have to be 35 series tires or smaller tho.

Goodluck with the engine

Jims 86LXI HB
07-17-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK

Plenty of companies do.....Arospeed, dropzone, skunk2, RSRacing, ground control. They also sell coilover conversions at opmmotorsports that you can use with your existing lowering springs. Also keep in mind that many people have used the 90-93 accord coilovers also. But I thought you didn't want to lower your car?

Your comment on the opmmotorsports coilover kits is half true, you can only use your front springs, the back stock springs are not 2 1/2" so you'd have to buy a pair of 2 1/2" springs for the rear to use the kits in the rear. But since he wants stiffer springs, he's better off getting ground-controls anyways.

Yep, he doesn't want to lower. But,....he wants stiffer springs. What better way to do it then to get at set of coilovers that can be adjusted to stock ride height, some can't so be carefull.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Jim.

Do you know who sells coilovers for our cars(beside nopi.com) and is ground control the only brand for our cars. And do you have any experience with sway bars, tower bars, or know of the best shocks for stock ride height. I want to retain the stock height because i like the look of the same clearance around the whole wheel, i hate the tucked look its gay as hell unless u got airbags to sit it down when parked.

Thanks For Your Help
Mike
[email protected]

Ya know, I could steal your car for 4 hours and return it with tokico 1" drop springs and I doubt you'd ever know it was dropped.:D It takes at least 2 1/2 to even start to tuck the rear wheels. I'm going to post a pic of my car for you to see what I'm talking about. And it would be so much easier on you to go that route and you might even be able to pick up the springs direct from tokico for only,.....$65, they are one a unadvertised direct purchase only clearence.

Only suspension techniques has their sway bars in stock. The addcos are out of stock and they won't make anymore for a long time. Only DC Sports makes front tower braces right now, so its expensive. One of our moderators 88Turboaccord, a.k.a. justin, makes rear tower braces as sort of a side job. Several members have his bars and are quite happy with them. The best struts to run is linked to who stiff your spings are, wheather of not they are lowered or not. The best strut to run with stiffer springs are the koni specials. If you want stiffer than usual springs then revalved bilsteins are a better choice, but they can be revalved to suit any spring rate.

Now look closely at my car, thats a 1.5" drop NO tucking;)

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-18-2002, 01:47 PM
WILL APOLOGIZE TO YOU!!!
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING IN HIS FIRST QUESTION...HE ASKED FOR SPRINGS, NOT SHOCKS.. SO MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS UR REPLY TO MY RESPONSE.. SO I AM SORRY!!!

mike_fx_u
07-18-2002, 02:53 PM
my car is an 89 4 door check the picture if attached correctly or website. as u can or can't see is that the wheel have the same clearance all the way around. lighting makes it hard to see.

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/mikefxu/images/carside.jpg

or website (http://www.angelfire.com/linux/mikefxu/)

Jims 86LXI HB
07-18-2002, 04:41 PM
Here's your car

Jims 86LXI HB
07-18-2002, 04:43 PM
WILL APOLOGIZE TO YOU!!!
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING IN HIS FIRST QUESTION...HE ASKED FOR SPRINGS, NOT SHOCKS.. SO MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS UR REPLY TO MY RESPONSE.. SO I AM SORRY!!!

Yeah no problem, were cool :smokin:

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
07-18-2002, 04:45 PM
KEWL...I AM STILL GETTING THE GR-2'S..OR MAYBE I WILL GO WITH SOME AJUSTABLE TOTIKO OR WHAT EVER THEY ARE CALLED
:p