PDA

View Full Version : Ive Got The Engine Noise Too!

dXsquared
07-16-2002, 06:15 PM
i just installed a 4 channel amp for my speakers and now i have engine noise! and lots of it. it sucks! at loud volumes you cant hear it but when the deck is idle or quiet it is so annoying. isnt there a filter you can buy to kill this? I THOUGHT THERE WAS? and if i make the ground wire shorter will that make less noise. jeeze i need help! thanx.
:wtf:
Travis

TeKKnoTeKK
07-16-2002, 06:20 PM
I have the engine noise also....I bought a noise filter from radio shack to try to correct it but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I am not sure, it is an annoying and tough problem.

shepherd79
07-16-2002, 06:46 PM
do you guys running power and speaker wires on one side?
because half of the problem with noice is that people run power and speaker wires on one side.

89accordlxi
07-16-2002, 07:04 PM
True, running power wires and signal wires on opposite sides of the car will help. If you have already done so then make sure the ground is tight and touching bare metal.. And yes, a shorter ground is helpful (no longer than 18"-24" if possible)

Also check the gain on the amps. Make sure they are not turned up too high.

Hope this helps.

Peace out..

dXsquared
07-17-2002, 03:33 PM
my ground is 12 inches long and it may not be a good ground ill check and get back to you guys. i will also be trying the Fusion Ground Loop Isolators to see if they can help. if not ill just bring em back. and to the guy with engine noise beside me, do u have an amp for ur speakers? just a question.
Travis:stick: :werd: :flipa: :flip: >alternator noise

TeKKnoTeKK
07-17-2002, 04:46 PM
Yeah I have an amp.....it didn't seem to start doing it until I got my new H/U, maybe it has something to do with being 4.5 v pre-outs. But I do have the speaker and power wires on the same side, I think I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion but keep em coming cuz I don't think that's it.

86LX-ihatch
07-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Dont buy filters to try to solve the problem because they are just a crutch for your problem. Unhook the RCA cables on your amplifier and if the noise is still there it somewhere between your amp and speakers. If it stop is between your RCA cables and your power source (battery). Ive very rarely seen the power wire running close to the RCAs cause the problem but it can happen. Ive had to go as far as running like a 14 gauge ground from where the head unit was grounded to the amplifier ground to get rid of a ground loop problem. I dont envy you with this problem.

POS carb
07-28-2002, 09:46 PM
filters are bullshit jsut follow thse rules and you should be fine

1. use good rca cables if you can
2. run power on one side of the car, signal on the other, try not to cross them, plan ahead
3. ground all components to the same point. i cannot stress how important this is, if you have multiple grounds in your trunk you get ground loops and all sorts of popping and whining starts appearing.

if anything my system is my backup for this, i have 2 amps a cap and a crossover and no noises good luck and stay away from those filters if possible

89bumblethumper
07-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Hey POS carb....i was told that you DO NOT want to run your Ground for your cap and your ground for your amps to the same ground....is that how you have it on your system??? cause i have my ground for my cap to my neg battery post, and my ground for my amps to the chassis of my trunk.

kennycm
07-29-2002, 11:24 AM
I used to have that exact problem and I fixed it by rewiring my entire system. I think that the problem was that I had a bad connection because a negative and positive terminal for my speaker were resting on the frame of the car.

POS carb
07-29-2002, 08:42 PM
the cap is grounded with the amps

GreenMachine
07-30-2002, 09:49 PM
My deck is grounded under the passger seat about 4-5feet long but it is grounded with my other amp. So I have those 2 grounds together and my sub amp is grounded in the truck. I shouldn't have a prob with my deck ground should I ? sounds fine ?
I use to have 3 seperate grounds - now only 2. never had a prob before so in theory it should be better corect ?