PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

ztron
05-18-2004, 08:26 AM
i've been having problems with my 88 accord starting after i drive it. it starts up fine in the morning or when it's been sitting for a few hours. i can get it started eventually, but it cranks for about 10 seconds and i have to floor the gas. i recently had the carb rebuilt and wires, plugs and rotor done. the car sat for about 3 months after i got the work done because it still needed cv joints and brake work. just wondering if anyone has any ideas. the starter will click like crazy sometimes after cranking it too.

ztron
05-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Any ideas? Forgot to mention that it also has a new battery. It didn't start having these starting problems until recently, and it only does it after I drive it somewhere. It will start fine in the morning and when I leave work to go home. Right now, if I want to go to a gas station, and shut the car off, I would have to floor the gas while cranking the engine for about 15-20 seconds to get it to start. Any help is appreciated.

BIGEEZ
05-19-2004, 11:03 AM
try some good gas the 5dollar per half gal kind.

ztron
05-19-2004, 11:19 AM
i don't think it's the gas, because it will start up fine, just not after it's been driven. i also sprayed the carb with carb cleaner yesterday. there was a ton of oil just sitting where my air filter is. half of the air filter is also covered in oil...not sure if that can be helping the problem.

k-roy
05-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Check your coolant level. If its running hot it could cause a hard start. Also try cleaning the battery posts, clamps and all the main electrical connections including the ground. Also replace your fuel and air filters. You need to get to the bottom of why your air filter is covered in oil.

ztron
05-19-2004, 11:51 AM
battery posts were cleaned when i installed the new battery. new fuel filters were also installed a few months ago when the carb went...forgot to mention that. i will check coolant level tonight. as far as the oil in my air filter goes, there was a decent amount of oil just sitting in the air cleaner pan, or whatever you want to call it. i just cleaned it all out. not sure if it's coming in from the intake or what, but the intake tube looked like it had oil in it too. there is a hose that must have a crack in it or something that is leaking oil. it has a cloth wrapped around it and is clamped down, but oil is still coming from it. i should get that replaced. i'm not sure what it is for, but can get pictures later tonight.

ztron
05-19-2004, 08:15 PM
coolant level is good. i'm not sure where to go from here without taking it to a shop, which is something i'd rather not do. seems like it's just a warm start problem. i took the air filter and everything out to get at the carb and there was more oil in the air cleaner pan. i was also just checking to see if there were any disconnected lines. i did find a line right behind the carb that looked like it was cut or ripped, but it looks like a breather line. i didn't see another broken line that it could have gone to. not sure if you can post pics on here, but if you can, i will get a picture of it.

ztron
05-20-2004, 12:38 PM
i've been reading through the forums trying to find a solution and was just wondering if it's possible that it could be the main relay? it would be an easy fix if it was. i was checking all of my fuses and stuff yesterday hoping to find something, so i know where it is. any help is appreciated.

on a side note...anyone have any fixes for the gas guage not working?

ztron
05-20-2004, 05:49 PM
nevermind....confused it with the main fuse...guess the carbie doesn't have a main relay???

ztron
05-22-2004, 06:51 PM
alright, well i'm going to try to figure out why oil is getting in my air cleaner. it appears to be coming in from a little box/filter on the right of the air cleaner area, pretty much directly across from the air bleed valves. i'm not sure what it is because i don't have a manual. anyway, my dad and neighbor both think it's the PCV valve that is causing oil to get in there. where exactly is the PCV valve located?

ztron
05-23-2004, 05:45 PM
i've been running the car without an air filter the past couple of days since a new one will just get drenched in oil anyway. the car has been starting fine now whenever i need to drive it, so i'm pretty sure all that oil around the carb is what was causing the starting problem. i bought a new pcv valve, but haven't had time to replace it yet. i'm going to try it tomorrow, but i still don't know exactly where it is. does anyone have a picture or can someone please describe where it is located for me? i'd really appreciate it. also, i guess that box i was talking about before, where the oil was coming in, is where the breather filter is. i'm just going to replace that too. thanks in advance. hopefully i can get this car running good while my dub is in the shop.

ztron
05-25-2004, 12:55 PM
nevermind, i found it...looks like it will be fun to remove.hopefully it comesout easily.

cvergi01
05-25-2004, 01:07 PM
good