PDA

View Full Version : sounds like rice krispies?

86LXi|JustONE
05-18-2004, 08:40 AM
wtf i was driving the other day and my clutch bites when i throw it into reverse. i noticed when all was quiet there is a sound like griding coming from the engine/transmission (you can feel it when your hand is on the shifter). honestly it sounds pretty bad and today its just getting worse. any one think they can tell me whats wrong.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-18-2004, 08:44 AM
i think your clutch is going out. mine started to do the same thing one time. i was on the highway IH35 and i downshifted and threw my clutch and got stranded. when i changed it out, my clutch was in about 30 pieces

86LXi|JustONE
05-18-2004, 09:59 AM
damn thats insane...what happens to me is that it has a whisling sound in 4th and 5th which is the syncros and it pops out of gear when in 5th...kinda scary when your going 60 and out of no where you here your engine reving and you cant put it back into 5th until it has a chance to slow the high rpm.

is there a low cost fix to this? anyone else had similar problems like this? please share.

AZmike
05-18-2004, 10:44 AM
You can access the fifth gearset with the tranny sit in the car by removing the end cover. You have to drop the tranny and open the case to reach the forth gear components.

Vinny
05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
what happens to me is that it has a whisling sound in 4th and 5th which is the syncros and it pops out of gear when in 5th...is there a low cost fix to this? anyone else had similar problems like this? please share.

If its just recently started doing it check your fluid level and possible look into adding some Lucas tranny fix in it. Its safe for auto's and 5 speeds. MAYBE just maybe you can get it before it goes

86LXi|JustONE
05-18-2004, 12:30 PM
If its just recently started doing it check your fluid level and possible look into adding some Lucas tranny fix in it. Its safe for auto's and 5 speeds. MAYBE just maybe you can get it before it goes
before what goes? the fluid or the clutch?

AZmike
05-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Before the transmission itself goes.

86LXi|JustONE
05-18-2004, 01:54 PM
yeah the mechanic i got said hes gonna add this additive stuff...personally i think the fluid levels in the tranny are low thats why theres that sound but then again what do i know..

88accordhb
05-18-2004, 02:22 PM
umm is it just the reverse, try throwing it into first, then throw it in reverse, that way the tranny slows a bit, i had this problem a while back, and this is all i do, my clutch doesn't grind and it's 15 years old on 114k.

86LXi|JustONE
05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
nono its not just the reverse its when its idle...when i turn on the car, when i shift gears...some thing is grinding and im not sure what...its getting louder as of this morning when i was driving it to the mechanics...

88accordhb
05-18-2004, 04:00 PM
yah dude, it's your clutch, better get it fixed quick befor the whole tranny goes. good luck :thumbsup:

86LXi|JustONE
05-19-2004, 10:23 AM
what about tranny oil? would that make that kind of sound if it were to be low as hell?

AZmike
05-19-2004, 10:26 AM
The transmission will whine in fifth, then in forth, then in third, etc as the fluid level goes lower. The gears wear very quickly without oil (lubrication and cooling).

86LXi|JustONE
05-19-2004, 01:04 PM
hmm if the transmission oil is low, cause by what your saying is exactly dooing that, would it have the sound im describing. like the gears or something in the tranny sounds like a blender on low(it grinds and you can feel it in the shifter). honestly man im shot for answers the only think i can think of is wrong would be the fluid levels.

Raduque
05-19-2004, 11:09 PM
When the fluid in mine was low (just before the 4th-gear synchro died), I heard what sounded like a ticking or clicking from my transmission. I think it was the gears meshing, because I could hear it in nuetral with the clutch engaged, but it went away if I pressed the clutch.

Also, I have a question I've been meaning to ask. Just what DOES manual transmission gear oil do to a Honda transmission? I'm just wonder if regular gear oil is REALLY that bad for it.

89AccordLX2dr
05-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Book says use 10w30 motor oil