PDA

View Full Version : removing top of the carb for cleaning.

Dutchboy
07-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Ive got a 89 lx coupe.. and
I want to take the top of the carb off just so i can clean out the float bowl and all the jets and other parts in the carb,,,

so i was wondering if these carbs have anything that will become out of adjustment, or that i should no of which might stop the top removal.. if all i do is remove the top with the carb still on the car ?????

i did this on my old 2g accords...and it worked miracles for the running abiltity of the car...
This is what im coming down to now since ive gone through almost everything else fuel and ignition related..

Thanks
BEn

shepherd79
07-17-2002, 04:20 AM
well, it is ok to take the top off.
there are no adjusting screws on the top.
you should be fine.

dj99
07-17-2002, 07:15 AM
Let us know what happens.

Mine is original, and as far as I know, my carb has never even been cleaned aside from stp additive type cleaning. I don't want to mess up a good thing. If it ain't broke, you know. :)

ACCORD EX
07-17-2002, 08:29 AM
i don't fuck with a carb as long as it runs fine ! because it will fuck me later ! :D

use carb cleaner if necessary without removing and while the car is running ! ! :)

MIKE

DanG86LX
07-17-2002, 09:31 AM
I had that done at H-dealer for $300 ($200US) for my idle stalling problem (more on that soon on another thread). They claimed the float bowl was very dirty and cleaned the jets... Didn't solve my stalling problem. :mad:

shepherd79
07-17-2002, 11:48 AM
carb cleaner doesn't do didly shit for carb. it will loosen up outside dirt but what is inside no way. you will have to run fuel cleaner or take carb apart ( old trusty way) and clean it.
I rebuilded my carb ones and i never had anyproblem with it.
if you gonna clean, just the float take the top off. if you want to clean everything, you may as well rebuild it.

Dutchboy
07-17-2002, 02:20 PM
thanks for the info..

I did this on my old cars and the bowls were always full of shit and half the jets were plugged...

I know it isnt hard i was just wondering if there were any surprises taking the top off...

I know that when i did this on my old 2g it ran awesome for half a year and then started to run a little bad again just becasue there was so much shit in it so i probably didnt get it all out..but that car also had 350000 kms on it so then what do you expect.?

Well i might be doing this on the weeknd if i can along with back brakes.,front bushings and total vaccuum check..

Ill let you know when i finish..
Ben

POS carb
07-17-2002, 05:27 PM
yes you can remove the top, i've done it many times but it won't come all the way off unless you remove the accelerator pump shaft, you can just hinge it backwards on the shaft instead. just be sure to remember the longest screw goes in the centered location between the barrels towards the passenger side, all the shorter ones go along the perimeter of the lid; if you put a short one in there you will need a magnet to extract it. watch the vacuum lines and the pipe that comes down into the float as well as the float needle (make sure it doesn't fall out of its groove) and be careful with the gasket!!!! it tends to stick in some parts to the top and rip

shepherd79
07-17-2002, 06:07 PM
yeah i agree with POS the gasket sucks.

Dutchboy
07-17-2002, 11:08 PM
thanks POS carb.....

i remember that problem on the older accords too....and i dont think that mine has ever been apart so im sure it will stick...

What do you recomend cleaning it out with...well i mean how??? I always use compressed air and scrape the junk out and get what i can that way...

any suggestions??
Ben

A20A1
07-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Best to buy a new top-hat gasket before taking it off... mine was just a crusty waffer the first time i removed it.

to clean the float bowl and the jets you should remove the carb.
With the carb removed you can unscrew the main jet access cover on the outside of the float bowl. You can then stick the red plastic tube found on wd-40 cans or carb cleaners into the jets and spray all the gunk out. (careful spraying the cleaner since it will squirt out of the carb)
Also spray the power vlave rod pressing it up and down making sure it's not catching anywhere.

remove the air fuel mix screw and spray carb cleaner in there.

with the carb on
Fill the float with some cleaner and move the accelerator pump so the cleaner runs thru the carb.

Completely disasemble the float adjustment srew and clean the fuel passages and float vlave.

just make sure you change the fuel filters first so you dont reintroduce contaminents...

Dutchboy
07-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks..i will probably do that tommoorw..
i already changed the filters too so i wont have to bother with removing them again..

i sure hope that this cures my problems..
thnk

Dutchboy
07-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Well i cleaned it out..

it was very easy.. my top came off like that and the gasket was still good...there wasnt much shit in there thogh...a bit or mabye rubber from the hoses..but all in all it was good so that wasnt bad at all..

I couldnt get the main jets out though.,,,must be screwed in the bottom....but anyway..
it ran good for like until it was warm then it was okay...i think that it may be normal now...
it does feel better now for power especially at high revs.
so thats the jest of it..

seemed to help.
BEn