PDA

View Full Version : '87 lxi stumbling bucking stalling

Pyre
05-02-2002, 10:13 PM
Yesterday my accord started stumbling and bucking while driving and I cannot figure out what is wrong. It drives fine when it is cold but when it warms up it starts bucking and even stalls with intermittent throttle response.

If I let it idle in neutral it is fine, but if I press on the gas it chokes and stumbles as I rev it. I replaced the igniter, but it seems to have made it worse. I also replaced the fuel filter that is located in the engine bay but that didn't help either.

I'm thinking it might be the fuel prefilter on the pump, a bad coil, tw sensor, or the distributor advance.

This is a 1987 Accord lxi 5speed with 200,000+ miles, thanks.

InfinityAudioLXi
05-03-2002, 04:46 AM
my car did the same thing after i put on the header, my problem sounded the same as that. All i had to do was switch the two o2 sensors, i put them on the wrong holes (the left in the right and the right in the left). I would recommend getting new o2 sensors because that sound exactly like what happened to me. good luck:smokin:

flexsource
05-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Better check this device. Many of them seem to fizzle out at this age. The diaphrams in them rupture causing a vacuume leak and deprive the ignition of any advance. Car will act just like you describe.

Just apply a vacuume to each hose on the advance unit mounted to the distributor. Either with a vac pump or just suck on it yourself... WIPE THE HOSES OFF FIRST !

The vaccume should hold on both. If not it is bad. About 60 bucks at Honda or a parts supplier.

Recommend Honda unit since they are so close in price.

88LXiHB
05-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Like this??

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6

rocky2
05-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Try this: it may help.

remove entire air cleaner assembly, Try to look at throttle plate,see if theres carbon around edges or behind it anywhere. If there is you must clean it. You can run carb cleaner though it when running or they sell throttle body cleaner which is basicly the same stuff. I've used straight fuel injecter cleaner poured it slowly into intake at 3-4k rpms...smoke:pimp: out tailpipe bigtime!Ran good afterwords

ssophab
06-03-2002, 11:28 AM
It sounds like your idle motor went bad. Try replacing it.