PDA

View Full Version : Tint Removal

CASH24
07-16-2002, 09:23 PM
I was wondering if theres any special way to take the tint off the rear window. I dont want to mess up the rear defroster or anything, but I want to get my windows re-tinted because they turned purple. Anyways most places want like $100 just the take the old crap off, so Im thinking maybe I could take it off myself. Any tricks or tips to getting the damn crap off would be appreciated.

YK86
07-16-2002, 09:51 PM
A heat gun, some good window cleaner, and lots of elbow grease. Even pro's do it this way which is why they want so much.

89AccordDXHB
07-16-2002, 09:53 PM
I've removed tint from my rear window without hurting the defroster. I was just really careful and I peeled out large pieces at a time. If you use a blade, just don't use it over the defroster lines. You know what I mean.

Anyway, that's not very helpful but I just wanted to say that if you do screw up your rear defroster, they have repair kits for stuff like that at your local auto parts store.

TeKKnoTeKK
07-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Here is my suggestion...I read it on a tint website. Get some ammonia, put it generously on your tint, then cover it with seran wrap. Let that sit for a couple hours and it should make the job of taking off the tint a lot easier. Let us know how it goes.

CASH24
07-17-2002, 11:39 AM
will the ammonia screw up my defroster lines on my back window.

dosh8er
07-17-2002, 09:27 PM
Amonia WILL NOT effect your defroster 'lines'.

Mike89Accordcom
07-18-2002, 12:47 AM
I used a razor blade, and some rubbing alcohol. Took me a while but it worked. There is so much glue, you just scrape it off.

89AccordNate
07-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Use ammonia its the easiest way I found to do it.....as for the rear window glue, ouch thats going to take a lot of scrubbing. The trashbag thing SHOULD work if its in direct sunlight.

Nate.

offthahook
07-18-2002, 06:20 PM
STEAMER for the rear window...

Hondastar
07-18-2002, 09:45 PM
First of all do it on a very hot day. You can use paint thinner or windex with ammonia. Take a black plastic trash bag, cut the seams so it is only one layer thick. Then drinch the window with paint thinner or windex. Cover interior with towels so it will not get wet. Then apply trash bag over windex and smooth it out so the bag is smooth on the window, no uncovered spots. But the window has to be very wet. Keep all the windows rolled up in the hot sun and the glue will let loose and tint will fall off in a couple of hours. Watch to make the windex dosent dry out, and the windex will soak in the tint and let the glue let loose. Then after tint is off, use thinner and a scrub brush to get exess glue off. This should do it the easiest way. O also try not to peel of the tint it might damage the defrosters, let it fall if possible.

StolenKar
07-18-2002, 09:48 PM
Use a normal hair dryer on the outside of the glass pointing towards the part u are working on with a razor blade. Worked great for me. After u are done, use a flat blade with windex to remove any leftover glue.
:flash: