PDA

View Full Version : first Mod

alboy
05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
i have a stock 88 accord lx i was just wondering what i should work on first as far as engine mods cold air intake maybe or exhaust im not sure somthing cheap and that will make a little difference in performance

BMS
05-18-2004, 08:09 PM
alboy, pleased to meet you. this is the Search Button (http://3geez.com/search.php?). it will save you much time and energy. generally everything that you can ask, the search button can find.

smufguy
05-18-2004, 08:34 PM
i have a stock 88 accord lx i was just wondering what i should work on first as far as engine mods cold air intake maybe or exhaust im not sure somthing cheap and that will make a little difference in performance

If you are looking for some cheap performance mods for a 16 year old car, you obviously need to knock on wood ;). CAI cost around $40 if u make it on ur own, including the filter, 180 deg piping and the couplings from Home Dep.

Exhaust just for the cat back with a press bend might cost around $200 and thats just to put it in, then u got a muffler, tip, cat. and not to mention the Headers.

Then all that done, u need the thing to turn, so u need springs, shox and a shop to put it in, if u dont have the tools.

So yeah, use the search button, see what ppl do first off. and then go off from there. If ur looking to be cheap, well u got nothing bro.

Oh almost forgot, you got a carb. have fun with a webber carb, cause thats ur only performance mod besides the intake and exhaust and suspension ;)

alboy
05-18-2004, 08:41 PM
If you are looking for some cheap performance mods for a 16 year old car, you obviously need to knock on wood ;). CAI cost around $40 if u make it on ur own, including the filter, 180 deg piping and the couplings from Home Dep.

Exhaust just for the cat back with a press bend might cost around $200 and thats just to put it in, then u got a muffler, tip, cat. and not to mention the Headers.

Then all that done, u need the thing to turn, so u need springs, shox and a shop to put it in, if u dont have the tools.

So yeah, use the search button, see what ppl do first off. and then go off from there. If ur looking to be cheap, well u got nothing bro.

Oh almost forgot, you got a carb. have fun with a webber carb, cause thats ur only performance mod besides the intake and exhaust and suspension ;)

Thanks for the advice im going over this weekend to the junkyard to find some parts for a cold air intake

Justin86
05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
good stuff is I/H/E you basic and first mods for any engine. Next are the good and cheap mods, aka weight reduction.

alboy
05-19-2004, 06:09 AM
i removed the a/c it hasnt worked in ages took off the belt that ran it and it seemed to run a little better all that crap must have weighted 40 to 50lbs

alboy
05-19-2004, 06:26 AM
my friend told me that it only costs 95 bucks to get an after market muffler welded on to a car that includes all the piping im not sure if thats true

BIGEEZ
05-19-2004, 07:41 AM
the cheap mob i gone with is a short intake that coast $23.00. and a $10.00 lil air filter for the oil ontop of the moto. you can go to your local junk yard and pick up some sweet deals. Go to your advance auto parts store.

cvergi01
05-19-2004, 07:53 AM
The best mod by far, it will give you a ton of horses for cheap....but takes about 3 hours to do.......flip the lid. :D

BIGEEZ
05-19-2004, 08:08 AM
check this link out

http://www.airdynamicracing.com/

and for cheap rim's

http://www.cheapwheels.com

http://www.cheapwheels.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=897&cat=&page=

Cheeseburger
05-19-2004, 08:13 AM
ya a cai would be my first thing you should put on but first you have to do the webber carb,or save up and do an efi swap
by the way where the hell is Half Moon Bay CA

88accordhb
05-19-2004, 10:13 AM
The best mod by far, it will give you a ton of horses for cheap....but takes about 3 hours to do.......flip the lid. :D
hahahaahaha, dude that's great, i hope youre being sarcastic. :lol: :rofl: but flipping the lid is fun, you'll loose alot of power in the higher rpm's. but ummm yah do CAI takes a couple of hours, but well worth it. and exhaust too, get a cheap muffer from ebay and find someone with a lift and a welder. find some cheap piping from homedepot and do it yourself. lol good luck. oh forgot...not really a mod, but plugs and plug wires are some of the best treatment for an old car. NGK!!!

AZmike
05-19-2004, 10:36 AM
where the hell is Half Moon Bay CA

It's south of San Francisco on the coast.

Blue Impact
05-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Being that you're from Cal too, my advice is for you to keep your car near stock, just spend the money on looks. Unless you have someone to do your smog for you, I'd say stay away from messing with the emissions crap. An intake doesn't sound bad. You can get a 92-95 Civic short ram intake and make it fit your car. Good luck.

87AccordsterLx
05-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Flip the lid on that carb air box and get a custom 2.25 inch catback exhaust. Mine was run for under $100 and that included welding the muffler on. Pick up a dynomax or magnaflow exhaust and you should free up some lost hp. Advance your timing a degree or so and report back.

extinctaccord
05-19-2004, 02:42 PM
i know this sounds stupid, but what is flipping the lid......is it literally flipping the air filter lid?????

cvergi01
05-19-2004, 02:45 PM
yes, take off the 2 wing nuts flip the lid over and screw them back on

alboy
05-19-2004, 02:46 PM
i know this sounds stupid, but what is flipping the lid......is it literally flipping the air filter lid?????

thats basically it you flip the lid it makes the intake sound a little different but i like it better stock setup

alboy
05-19-2004, 02:47 PM
im heading over to the pick and pull this weekend to get some parts for an intake i was also looking into getting the ports polished

alboy
05-19-2004, 02:49 PM
my friend also told me that getting the cam reground also helps and how do you change the timing i know you nedd a timing gun right

alboy
05-19-2004, 02:52 PM
ya my car doesnt have any problems passing emissions and i plan on keeping it that way to i think for now an intake and exhaust sounds good then maybe a weber carb