PDA

View Full Version : 02 sensor testing

carfreak
05-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Ok, i've been having some slight/not major engine problems of haveing a rough idle when cold and when warm idle is fine but it sounds like there is a slight misfire. So i look in manual on how to see if all sensors are working correctly and it turns out our ecu has no OBD. So then i read on how to test the 02 sensor for starts. so i do, and i get no voltage. none (yes of course i had the engine running and it was at operating temp). it says in the book that the wire may be broken if you get zero voltage. I checked and it looks fine on the outside. Now for the questions: I have a normal DVOM, that should work fine for testing the 02 sensor right? Also for ground i used the engine block, thats correct too right? also, does a new 02 sensor come with the wire and connector already atatched?

Mac
05-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Yep. that meter should be fine. Just before you check the voltage on the O2 sensor, touch positive lead to battery to make sure that the meter and ground is good. At idle you should read less than 0.4 volts. But at 5000 rpm it should rise to above 0.6 volts. You are checking the side that goes to the O2 sensor, right? The sensor itself produces a voltage and sends it to the ECU. If you check the side that goes to the ECU, I don't think you will get any voltage.

You can get an O2 sensor with the connector already on it.

89AccordLXI666
07-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Ok I have an 89 Accord LX-i and are the O2 sensors located on the manifold heatsheild thingy, if so I have the one on the left side cut off and the other half is still connected to the connector so is that why I am getting the check engine light 2 come on all the time after driving for as little as 2-5 minutes?? Also I checked the ECU under the drivers seat and it's flashing 17 times, but I was told that if it blinks 17 times, it's the Variable Speed sensor, but If it is the speed sensor where in the hell is it located and how do I fix it, also could the ECU be getting a faulty reading because of the O2 sensor??? Any help or how-to's would be great... Thanks guy's Lataz

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:04 PM
carfreak. with engine at normal warm temp.
take the volt meter, pos. on one end and neg on the other end.
the volt should change rapidly.
tap the gas, the volt's should shot up real quick, then fall quick.
if the volt's flunctuates slowly, then the o2 sensor is no good.

and 89accord the fact that the other o2 is'nt connected is a bad thing i say replaced whenever.
the speed sensor is probaly located near the starter on the pass. side behind the engine.
or better yet follow the speedo. cable . . . . . .

89AccordLXI666
07-01-2004, 07:17 PM
carfreak. with engine at normal warm temp.
take the volt meter, pos. on one end and neg on the other end.
the volt should change rapidly.
tap the gas, the volt's should shot up real quick, then fall quick.
if the volt's flunctuates slowly, then the o2 sensor is no good.

and 89accord the fact that the other o2 is'nt connected is a bad thing i say replaced whenever.
the speed sensor is probaly located near the starter on the pass. side behind the engine.
or better yet follow the speedo. cable . . . . . .

Aight man thanx for the tips... Ima replace the O2 Sensor tomorrow and I'm also going to look into the speed sensor as well see If I can figure that part out... Thanks for the help bro... Later. :rockon:

accordlxi2.0
07-01-2004, 07:19 PM
while your a it take off that damn heats shield.
mine's gave me a hard time so i ripped it off . . . . . .

**********3GEEZ 4 LIFE**********

shepherd79
07-02-2004, 03:16 AM
O2 sensor has not effect on carburator.
your problem is something with vacuum lines when the car is cold.

89AccordLXI666
07-03-2004, 02:42 PM
O2 sensor has not effect on carburator.
your problem is something with vacuum lines when the car is cold.

Not sure if u were answering my question or some one elses, please excuse me but, I have an 89 Accord LX-i 2.0 EFI, just in case there was some confusion, sorry if I wasn't be specific... :) But I tired and tried fixing it, and nothing worked, the stupid EFI light keeps coming on and the ECu is still throwing out code 17... now I don't have power stearing and it did leak... suposably the rack and pinion is toast and the boot part is torn and there is a line thats hanging out which I believe is the power stearing line by the front passenger side under neith the car. And also the Cruise control don't work, but the light for the cruise control goes on but the switches on the stearing wheel has no effect at all so Dunno what else I could do to fix it... n e tips? Thanks lataz

Mac
07-03-2004, 03:52 PM
If you are getting a code 17, that is the speed sensor which could be why the cruise doesn't work.