PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord sounds like diesel

spoon611
05-19-2004, 05:25 PM
My Accord sounds like a diesel when I take off or accelerate to pass someone (which is many many times by the way). It makes a clackity noise kinda like if you were to start off in 2nd gear, but I start in 1st. Is there something I can do to get rid of this noise? Is it normal? :dunno:

edit: It's a carb, manual, DX model...umm white

shepherd79
05-19-2004, 06:06 PM
when was the last time you did the full tune up?
it may be vise to check spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, change oil filter and PCV valve.
the noise can be anything.
do you nottice the power drop?

spoon611
05-19-2004, 07:06 PM
when was the last time you did the full tune up?
it may be vise to check spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, change oil filter and PCV valve.
the noise can be anything.
do you nottice the power drop?
Last July I replaced spark plugs (bosch plat 4), dist cap/rotor this winter, change oil about 2 months ago (about to change this in the next couple weeks)...haven't touched the PCV valve yet though...still need to hit the air filter too. I've always had this sound though.

k-roy
05-19-2004, 07:12 PM
I bet your carb is dirty and all out of wack. Try picking up some carb clenaer, fuel filters (2), air filter and a pcv valve. A fresh set of plugs is not a bad idea either.
Install the new parts and get the inside of the carb all nice and shiny. Then read this How do I adjust my carb?? (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=117) and try this only if you do not have to have emissions testing How to remove carb vacuum lines ? (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067)

ChaseR
05-20-2004, 06:06 PM
before I did my motor swap I had a Motor that sounded like a diesel all the time, the valves were bent!

spoon611
05-21-2004, 02:27 AM
It only sounds like that when I accelerate in gear. When it just idles or when I accelerate in neutral it sounds just fine.

k-roy
05-21-2004, 02:46 AM
It only sounds like that when I accelerate in gear. When it just idles or when I accelerate in neutral it sounds just fine.
Tell ya what, make it to the Atlanta meet tomorrow evening and you can get a hands on diagnosis from myself and Vinny.
Official N. GA Barrett Pkwy meet! (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=33959)

Moodybluesr
05-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Sounds to me like the valve clearances may be out of spec... when was the last time you checked those? Every 15k miles!!!

spoon611
05-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Sounds to me like the valve clearances may be out of spec... when was the last time you checked those? Every 15k miles!!!

I looked at the haynes manual and it didn't seem too difficult to do. Is there anything I should watch out for when doing this? How long should it take me to do this..I'm pretty decent around the engine.

89AccordLX2dr
05-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a ping problem to me. I have an 89 carbed aswell. It pings under load, under 3000rpm. I checked timing and it's way off, and I can't get it set. Something is sticking and keeping the timing advanced. I hope to replace the advance diaphragm and that should take care of that problem..... I hope. How's your timing?

HondaBoy
05-23-2004, 05:18 PM
you put bosch platinum +4's eh. just a thought, check em out because it seems like on our engines they dont last for shit. you said you have a chattering noise i guess. that could be your fuel isnt "sparking up" correctly. i know when i changed to a regular plug they last longer and dont end up fouling out. also, your valve could be gunked up, just an idea. they have fuel treatments. one i like really well its Barryman B12 Chemtool, that shit works great for me. made my knocking go away. if you got a clicking it could be the air suction valve thing. i know mine makes a clicking and increases in noise when the engine is reving up. thats what i'd think it is.

spoon611
05-24-2004, 02:22 AM
I was wondering if my timing was off, but I don't have access to a timing gun. I will have to check that at another time.

Since it's time to look into getting some different plugs I'll give regular plugs a shot and at the same time I'll throw in some fuel treatment. I'll have to wait till next weekend for that though...payday ;)

johnwc723
05-25-2004, 05:19 PM
mine does that and my timing isnt off, alot of people have that problem with our cars, try putting a little premium in it if it stops that its the same problem that i have, which is rediclous cause our engines have like no compression as it is!

how the hell does one fix this problem anways... rrrr

lightbulblxi
05-25-2004, 06:56 PM
is there a hole in ur exhaust pipe?

johnwc723
05-25-2004, 08:13 PM
haha of course not its engine knocking man me exaust is new anyways, does it happen on your car once it gets hotter more (it does on mine)

spoon611
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Nah, it does it as soon as I put her in gear and take off. It has the same sound as if you were starting off in 2nd gear and giving it more gas to go faster. Know what I mean? Kinda clackity like diesel engines make, but not as cool! And it's only when it's on the lower end of the RPMs. It also only does it if I'm trying to give more gas, like when you want to pass someone. I hope I'm making sense here.

89AccordLX2dr
05-25-2004, 09:16 PM
ya, sounds the same as with mine as I wrote earlier. Everyone tells me to put premium in it, that'll fix it. Uhm, no, the engine is designed to run on 87 octane. So I knew something was wrong. First thing I did was check the timing, and it was so far off the line I couldn't even see and was like wtf, there's no lines. So I was moving the distributor around seeing if I could make a line appear and finally a line peeked out at the very top when I had the distributor turned all the way down toward me (clockwise). So I left it there and went into brainstorming mode... timing belt off a tooth? plug the wrong lines? what gives? So I took it for a rip, and the ping wasn't as bad and power was up a bit. I noticed after I hit 3000rpm the ping would disappear, so it hit me that the advance timing is stuck on advance. I took the cap off one day and there was red power in it, and that tells me the bearing is going, so I figure that dust is what seized the advance mechanism... I think I'll yoink a whole dist from the boneyard and see what result that brings. Sound good to you?

88accordalltheway
05-25-2004, 09:53 PM
I have the same prob some times. I think its just the carb. I have a whole in my exaust somewhere too. I also have the bosh 4 and i dont like them, and they were freakin expensive. The sound dosent bug me though.