PDA

View Full Version : MSD 7AL-2 on 89 LXi, what else needs to be changed?

jadams
07-17-2002, 06:03 AM
Honda Accord LXi 4door 1989 Fuel Injected, external coil, internal igniter.

I am having what I believe to be spark related problems. I have been dealing with this on another thread.
What I need to know here, is since I already have a MSD 7Al-2 p/n 7224 ignition, what needs to be changed on the engine to support this?

Will the stock igniter and dist cap/rotor work?
What parts do you reccommend? plugs?
wires? magnecor, MSD, or something esle? I would prefer not to have to "build" the wires, but if that is the only/best way then...
I have a blaster2 coil. but should I get the SS coil? something else? I know that MSD has a better coil for the 7AL-2.

Should I run the tack input from the 7AL-2 or let it continue to come off one of the coil terminals? (I believe that is where it comes from on this engine?)

anyway, you get what I'm after. I'm hoping you can save me from other problems I haven't thought of in hooking this up.

thanks,
john

PhydeauX
07-17-2002, 09:24 AM
The 7al-2 is complete overkill for the a20 motor. It wires up same as the 6 series, either with a magnet pickup or the coil - from your old stock ignitor. It'll run with a blaster 2 coil and cant be used with solid core (dirt cheap noname brand) wires just like a 6. Use the tack output from the msd. http://www.msdignition.com/downld2.htm give you downloads of all the instructions. There is no point in buying a 7 over a 6 for a mostly stock 3rd gen. There really isnt much to be gained in running a 6 over the stock igniton either except the rev limiter, but if you already have a 7 it wont hurt.

andy

jadams
07-17-2002, 08:02 PM
thanks,

yeah, it's overkill. It is also BIG. I'm still looking for a place under the hood for it. I have had this around for several years and thought that I would give it a try. I used to have a 69 GTO that would lose fire at high rpm's and a capacitive discharge system (not this one) solved that. then used it on a 73 Riviera. I also have a 6AL p/n 6420 that is going on my V8 '88 custom cruiser wagon.

I am doing this as much for diagnosis as anything else. I have a hard start/hesitation/stall situation and want to see if the fire is the problem. car plain won't run. after replacing many stuffs, I replaced the spark plugs and it got worse so i am looking to ignition.

can I temporarily use use the stock coil, etc? Will stock honda or bosch wires (the better? ones) work? I have those already. maybe I should read the box to make sure thay are helically wound? I used the stock stuff on the gto and riv but they had points in the distributer. If I have to buy, do you recommend MSD superconductor wires? I think you have to crimp the connectors on the wires and I would prefer to buy pre-made wires.

Will the higher resistence of the stock wires cause harm to the 7AL-2? It would cause less current compared to MSD wires, but there would be the higher voltage stepped up by the 7AL-2 which would be an improvement. I guess the insulation could break down and cause arcing.

by the way, what RPM do you recommend for the rev limit plug-in?

john

jadams
07-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Well the problem was spark related.

I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and its running now.
However, with the msd it would probably still have run.

I don't suppose there is an after market coil that doesn't require cutting the coil wires to install?
If I just put the blaster 2 coil on will I need the ballast resistor?

thanks,
john

PhydeauX
07-20-2002, 09:08 PM
You dont need a resistor. You shouldn't need to cut the wires to install the new coil, it wires in same as the old one.

andy