PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my door?

spoon611
05-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I have a 2dr coupe accord and all of a sudden the driver side door won't open!? When I lift on the handle to open it, the door will only open part way, but the other latch catches and it won't open. Any idea what I can do to open it? I tried lifting it while opening it, pushing it, slamming it...I don't know what else to do. And it had to be the driver side door too! :mad:

BMS
05-21-2004, 03:23 PM
maybe the D-shaped ring that is bolted to the body has moved a little and it's catching the latch on the door. long shot, but maybe.

spoon611
05-21-2004, 04:11 PM
maybe the D-shaped ring that is bolted to the body has moved a little and it's catching the latch on the door. long shot, but maybe.
Any idea on how to get this stuck door open? Just keep tugging? Maybe tie a rope to it and pull it with my truck? :rockon:

88accordalltheway
05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
well thats one way to do it, use a truck.

HondaBoy
05-21-2004, 05:14 PM
:rofl: tie a rope to it and pull it with a truck! WTF are you thinking! you'll likely end up ripping the door off its hinge or bending it along with part of the body panel. i'd say if you can, take the inner door panel off, its pretty simple. just a few screws and plugs that hold it on. then you may have access to the inside of the door and hopefully to the door latch.

spoon611
05-21-2004, 05:21 PM
:rofl: tie a rope to it and pull it with a truck! WTF are you thinking! you'll likely end up ripping the door off its hinge or bending it along with part of the body panel. i'd say if you can, take the inner door panel off, its pretty simple. just a few screws and plugs that hold it on. then you may have access to the inside of the door and hopefully to the door latch.

Of course I'm joking about the truck pull...although it's a little humiliating to have to switch to the passenger door to get in and out, I would rather do that than have no door on the driver's side! lol

I thought about taking the panel off, but I can't take it off with the door being closed. It has to be open in order for me to pry it open and I believe there are screws that hold it on that are located around the perimeter of the panel.

I wonder if removing the trim around the door handle (inside) would give me access to anything I needed.

AQcz
05-21-2004, 10:09 PM
You could always use the window to get out

nah but I dunno... good luck

HondaBoy
05-21-2004, 10:17 PM
yeah, use the windows to get in and out of your 3gee. like the Dukes of Hazard. lol.

spoon611
05-22-2004, 03:25 AM
yeah, use the windows to get in and out of your 3gee. like the Dukes of Hazard. lol.
I thought of that too! LOL
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/54/039_11017.jpg

BoneStock
05-22-2004, 04:52 AM
That picture should be posted again in a few monthes, with a pic from the upcoming movie. Jessica Simpson is set to play Daisy.

Bloodlust
05-22-2004, 05:55 AM
I have a 2dr coupe accord and all of a sudden the driver side door won't open!? When I lift on the handle to open it, the door will only open part way, but the other latch catches and it won't open. Any idea what I can do to open it? I tried lifting it while opening it, pushing it, slamming it...I don't know what else to do. And it had to be the driver side door too! :mad:

I have the same exact problem. I thought it was my door lock actuators but that wasnt it. Its something with the latch on the side. Supposedly these things are pretty durable but I guess from 15 years of opening and closing the door it will get its beating and have to be replaced. But im pretty sure its a latch.

PS -

In the meantime to open it you can bang on the right of the door handle and it will eventually pop open.

spoon611
05-22-2004, 08:09 AM
I have the same exact problem. I thought it was my door lock actuators but that wasnt it. Its something with the latch on the side. Supposedly these things are pretty durable but I guess from 15 years of opening and closing the door it will get its beating and have to be replaced. But im pretty sure its a latch.

PS -

In the meantime to open it you can bang on the right of the door handle and it will eventually pop open.

Bang on it from the outside or inside?

Bloodlust
05-22-2004, 08:15 AM
Bang on it from the outside or inside?

Outside. But in the event that the door wont open while you're inside, try unlocking and locking your door. Or bang the door panel on the inside as well.

spoon611
05-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I smacked the door! I ended up stomping on it with my foot and voila! It opened! After smacking it with my hand several times, the only thing I did was get a sore hand, so I tried my foot. Now it opens fine. I wonder when will be the next time it does this again! Thanks

chriskatana
05-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I wonder when will be the next time it does this again! Thanks

In the middle of a torential rain storm it will hang and leave you standing there in the rain kicking your door to get it open again: :rofl:

HondaBoy
05-22-2004, 05:30 PM
hey, if using the window as ways to get in and out of the car gets Daisy Duke every time, i'll be doing that. lol.

smufguy
05-23-2004, 07:17 AM
I smacked the door! I ended up stomping on it with my foot and voila! It opened! After smacking it with my hand several times, the only thing I did was get a sore hand, so I tried my foot. Now it opens fine. I wonder when will be the next time it does this again! Thanks

if i was you, i would be either taking that latch apart and see what caused it to seize or just swap it with another one after thoroug greasing. You dont wanna go thru this shit again and kickin it the second time and something going wrong ;)