PDA

View Full Version : lude tranny

nismoracer99
05-22-2004, 08:47 AM
i have an '85 Honda Prelude Si Dual carb 2.0L 5-speed that stopped running, and i want to use it as parts. my question is, will the tranny from the Prelude fit on my '89 accord DX 5-speed??

i hope it can, sure save me a lot of time, and a whole lot of money :)

PhydeauX
05-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Something doesn't make sense here. Mostly the Si with dual carb part, unless you've converted to carbs and I though they started making the Si in 86. If it is a Si with an a20a3 motor then you can use the tranny in the accord. If its a 1.8 with dual carbs then you're going to need to do something about the axles too.

andy

nismoracer99
05-26-2004, 06:39 PM
crap, im having a hell of a time finding the engine code.

it is and Si, on the door the date is late 1985, like nov. or dec., so it might be an 86 :sad2: .
i never drove the car, its not mine, just a friends car. i can't get a hold of him though!

edit: the motor and tranny in the lude looks the same as my motor and tranny, but the lude has its valve cover off, and i can only tell that they look the same by looking at the the repair manual, and noticing that the valve are the same. so is the 1.8 litre lude engine a 12 valve too??

PhydeauX
05-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Yes they are both 12 valve. If it is an Si is should be fuel injected, not dual carb. Look on the front of the block next to the trans near the timing hole. The engine code will be stamped there. If it is an 86 then the code will be either ET (1.8 carbed) or BT (2.0 efi).

andy

nismoracer99
05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
the prelude is a dual carb 2.0si.

the rear end says its a 2.0si, and it has dual CV Carb, i think thats what it says.

im assuming it will work, so im going to try in a few days or so. :)

PhydeauX
05-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, someone's been messing with something then, and you need to get it strait before you comit to doing anything. All of the 2.0Si preludes came with the early BT/a20a3 motor and pgm-fi injection (the i in Si stands for injection). The cv carbs came on the base 1.8 modles only. If the car is a 1.8 then you're going to have to either swap the diff with an accord on or find out if you can swap the 1.8 hubs onto the accord. The 1.8 has smaller axles then the 2.0. If the car does turn out to be an 85 1.8L then its worth the hassel for the better ratios. If its an 86 or later 1.8 then you might as well junk it and find a trans from a 2.0.

andy

Justin86
05-31-2004, 09:38 PM
well how about looking at the code on the tranny.......... to see if it is carb or EFI. You can use the carb tranny but you will ahve to do more work. Need to change the differental and the main and counter shafts. Then you will have some slight clearence problems with the presure plate. You will have to grind a little bit off the bell housing to ensure for good clearence.

nismoracer99
06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
i have some of the tranny code, part of the sticker is missing.

it says: GM- 339397

the rest i dont know.

nismoracer99
06-02-2004, 03:37 PM
sorry for double post, but where is the engine code on the 1.8 dual carb motor, or on the body of the lude?

but something does not seem right with an Si with carbs, so today im going to talk to the guy that owns the lude :sad2: .

nismoracer99
06-02-2004, 08:01 PM
i went to the guy's work, didn't find him there, but i looked at a computer, and has nothing for a 2.0 carb for both 85 and 86. so i might just sell my taurus and get money from it, and then buy a tranny with the money.

i believe it an swaped engine, or someone just wanted to look cool and put the 2.0Si on the back.

thanks anyways guys!!!!!!!!! :D

nismoracer99
06-07-2004, 03:05 PM
ok, the prelude is now mine, he is going to sign the title over to me soon.

i was wondering, if i take the diff. on the original accord tranny, and put it on the the lude tranny, would the lude tranny be able to fit on ok?

well what exaclty would i need to do?

Justin86
06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
well if it the Si tranny you don't have to swap the diff, but if you do use the accord you will also have to use the accord shafts for the gears to match up I belive. if you have the carb tranny you will have to swap the accord tranny casue the axles won't fit in the carb diff.

PhydeauX
06-08-2004, 02:55 PM
To swap the diff you have to take both trannys completely apart. You need to swap the ring gear from the prelude diff to the accord (you'll need an impact wrench and remember they are reverse thread). If you want your speedo to be accurate you need to swap the speedo gear from the prelude to the accord dif housing as well (its pressed on and a pain in the ass to get off with out breaking). If you dont care about the speedo being off by a few mph then you can swap the accord speedo drive into the prelude case. Its not really a job for the faint of heart. You'll need to check the gear mesh etc as well when you put the new diff in.

andy