PDA

View Full Version : Help i'm stumped

kidato
05-22-2004, 11:15 AM
I have a 86 accord lx auto. Ive been having problems with this car for a while no w and i need help.

It all started when my cleaned my carb and removed the air filter assembly after that it started dying at stop lights and and whenever you turned a hard corner . well i fixed that by adusting the mixture screw and the fast idle screw. but now the car runs real rough and it shakes hard at a stop.

i checked the spark plugs just to see and they were a sooty black when i cleaned them and replaced them and started the car the car shook really hard for about 5 seconds at 800 idle and then died.

any advice would be helpful!

spoon611
05-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Why did you clean the spark plugs and put them back in? I would've just replaced them with some platinum plugs. Also try getting some new plug wires and possibly distributor cap and rotor. That's what I would start with.

86LXi|JustONE
05-22-2004, 12:55 PM
what shakes? the car or the wheel?

dude get a tune up like spoon is implying...dont skimp on the plugs for a 1.00 each get ones from boch or ngk. hell even get denso like i got. just dont get the ones you see in the bin at autozone that say 99cents.

kidato
05-22-2004, 01:44 PM
the funny thing is i did replace the plugs ,rotor, cap and the plugs they were brand new boch plugs. my 3rd set.

any other ideas?

the whole car shakes and jumps while in park and after a few minutes it dies

spoon611
05-22-2004, 01:47 PM
idle too low?

You said that it idles at around 800 then dies..maybe ur idle's set too low. Mine revs up over 1000, then drops below that. Then again, i have a carb.

Mac
05-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Maybe you should go back to before the problem started. Check the area that you worked in (cleaning carb and removal of air filter assembly). Look to see if anything is loose, off, or broken. Mostly check all the vacuum lines, and wires.