PDA

View Full Version : once again.. Stock Struts????

87AccordsterLx
07-17-2002, 07:54 AM
OK I have had my sprint springs sitting in my room for 2 months now and i cant seem to save enough money to buy the tokico's... How many people are running stock struts on a 2.25in drop??? I wouldnt mind running it for a month or so untill I can get the money situation straight.... But if they are going to go out before then even then Im not sure if its worth it.... Any Ideas??? I want to get it droped sooo bad... it looks like shit with the 205/40-17's on there... It seriously raised my car 1 - 1 1/2 inches and I just hate looking at it like that.... (POS) would you still be interested in helping me out with this... as well as the control arms??? Let me know if you're still in town and I'll PM you as well... Well what do you guys think??? :)

Jims 86LXI HB
07-17-2002, 09:12 AM
Hey if ya can't afford them and you just can't wait. Go ahead and put the springs on. They aren't that hard to install. And you'll get to see how weak struts drive with lowering springs (wink wink), hey it's just for a month or so I'm sure a little bouncing won't kill ya.

Justanothermike
07-17-2002, 10:34 AM
HAHA a little..........

Jims 86LXI HB
07-17-2002, 12:16 PM
Huh, I was just telling it like I was in his shoes. I don't think I'd want to wait either.:p

87AccordsterLx
07-18-2002, 09:07 AM
so is it really that bad..??? Like terrible??? Im not down to be hitting turns at 40 and fliping that shit..... lol... really though... give me some examples.....

tyne89
07-18-2002, 07:31 PM
we did that to my cousins 91 integra and i smacked my head against the ceilling everytime he hit a pot hole or a crack in the road. makes for an intresting rideand im sure youd get used to it. he didnt get a camber kit for it and after a few weeks the wheels looked like this // \\

Jims 86LXI HB
07-18-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
so is it really that bad..??? Like terrible??? Im not down to be hitting turns at 40 and fliping that shit..... lol... really though... give me some examples.....

Well not handling as well is only a small part of it all. When the road is smooth and you have no bumps, you'll swear nothing's wrong. But in the real world, you won't have a smooth road for very long. Every time you go over a bump the car is going to bounce up and down. And if you go over some places in the road that have some rises or undulations, the bouncing can get really bad. It may not sound like a big deal but it gets real annoying fast. You'll begine to avoid certain roads because of how the car acts. But since you only talking about a month or so I think you'll be able to put up with it. Especially if you don't put very many miles on your car.

AND be very carefull going into driveways and stuff because you stock sturts don't have the power to prevent the suspension from bottoming out like better struts would. And the sound it'll makes when it does bottom out will make you wince, especially if you love your car,....... makes you feel real guilty, lol:lol

88socalaccord
07-19-2002, 01:10 PM
I am no expert, but I was told that you will wear the springs out faster and possibility of sagging.. I recommend buying my Tokico's which are brand new and never installed.

87AccordsterLx
07-19-2002, 02:35 PM
you've got my attention... where are you at in so. cal??? Im south of Santa Monica in Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach area.... How much do you want for them??? I dont have a lot of money ( if I did we wouldnt be having this thread) but im curious...

Jims 86LXI HB
07-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 88socalaccord
I am no expert, but I was told that you will wear the springs out faster and possibility of sagging.. I recommend buying my Tokico's which are brand new and never installed.

In over 10 years of being interested in the subjest, I've never heard that. But curiously I think their may be some sense to it. But I'd think it would apply more to springs that are as stiff as say H&R and neuspeeds race springs. But then again if I bought springs and for any reason they stopped being a well,...spring
I'd think thats a crap brand, and you can bet you ass their R&D guy would get them back on his desk with a angry note saying "these failed,...WHY!!!. It's supposed to spring and compress, I mean DEFINE the word SPRING

I think I'll call my buddy at Eibach and run this on past him.

Big Body LX
07-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Okay... here's the deal. You CAN roll on springs on factory struts. The only catch is your struts need to be in REALLY good shape. I put 2.5" drop springs on my 5th gen on good struts and it rode better than factory! No bounce at all...

Then I put coilovers on factory struts... BAD CHOICE!!!!

The moral of the story is.. if your struts are good then go ahead and do it until you can afford your aftermarkets... otherwise, deal with the gap for another month or two until you get the money... trust me... your back will thank you.

87AccordsterLx
07-24-2002, 04:41 PM
well.. thanks for all of the replies... I think that I'll wait and do it the right way.... but as far as tokico goes Jim.... I thought that they were a good namebrand... arent there a lot of people on the board that use them without a problem?? What would you suguest as a price effecient replacement for use w/ a 2.25in drop???

Jims 86LXI HB
07-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Tokico is a good brand, but tokico has choosen not to offer their Illumina strut for our cars, that strut does have what it takes for duty with stiffer lowering springs., the tokico H.P's don't really have that, at least not in the front, they are to soft in the front. I can sort tokico users into to 2 groups. Those that don't know they are to soft in the front with lowering spings or won't admit it. And those that will tell you so. Even with the softest spring made for our cars, the neuspeeds, members have said their tokicos are to soft in the front. And that is the other reason I say to never use KYB GR-2's with lowering spirngs, it the tokicos are less then perfect their no way the GR-2's are going to be getter let alone equal. The tokico's should be ok in the rear however, so get koni's in the front and save money with tokico's in the rear.

I don't recommend koni's with the attitude that you get what you pay for, that's not it. I recommend them because I know they work. If it was up to me I'd make KYB offer their AGX strut, it's double adjustable, cost's less than the Koni specials and works with the mild spring rates that are common on our cars.

87AccordsterLx
07-28-2002, 10:38 AM
Wow Jim.... That was very informitive... where is the cheapest place that I could find koni's... ??? Thats definitly what I'll do then... Thanks....

Jims 86LXI HB
07-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Their are a number of places that are real close in price. But shipping will likely be different. www.tirerack.com www.shox.com
and www.ground-control.com shox has been saying they they will ship koni's for free, I don't know it that applies to buying less than 4.