PDA

View Full Version : Serious Electrical Problem

87LXI Racer
05-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, I have an 87 accord LXI A/T and I drove home from prom last night went to bed when i went out to start my car the next morning i got nothing when i turned the key. I check the fuses and i had a blown 70Amp battery fusible link so i unhooked the battery cable and replaced thge fuse and when i tryed to hook up the battery cable it sparked and blew the fuse. I think it's a short but i thought i would ask anyone else for advice........ :pc:

shepherd79
05-23-2004, 03:52 PM
sounds like alternator problem to me.
but the short can be anything.
check the wires.

Mac
05-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Yep, most likely an alternator problem. Check the big white wire on the alternator. Make sure that it is tight and that it is not touching the case of the alternator. If it is good there follow it back and look to see if it is chaffing on any metal anywhere.

87LXI Racer
05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
cool
i'll do that and let you know if that helps at all.

87LXI Racer
05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
well, i have a serious problem cause it's not the alternator i'm suspecting that it may be the main wire harness but that's gonna be expensive to change. Anyone else have any other suggestions??????!!!!!!! Thanx

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-24-2004, 04:24 PM
The wiring diagram for my 88 shows that besides the white wire to the alternater, the 70 amp fuse feeds two 40 amp fuses. There are three 40a fuses in the relay box. If none of those are open, then that leaves out the rest of the harness and components and it's back to the white wire and alt. It could also be that somethings shorted in the underhood relay box itself. Do you have or can you borrow a multimeter? It would definatly help you find the short.

Mac
05-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Yep I don't see what else it could be but the white wire. I believe that it is just a buss bar that feeds the other fuses. Did you check the single white wire on the alternator all the way back to the fuse box? Not the connector, but the single white wire with the rubber boot on it. It's got to be snug on the alternator stud but not touch the case of the alternator. I don't know how difficult it is to check, but like 88LXi/87CRXSi suggested check the fuse/relay panel. Try to get under it and see how the white wire hooks into it.

87LXI Racer
05-25-2004, 04:49 AM
I already checked the white wire and it is threaded into the main harness and i would have to unwrap the whole thing to check and see if it is screwed up anywhere. I may just take it to an alternator shop and see if they can isolate the problem

DanLXI88
05-25-2004, 06:50 AM
I would also suggest the alternator is bad. Do you run a system in your car? Is this the original alternator?

86LXItooFAST4me
05-26-2004, 05:41 AM
have you done anything to your car prior to the problems? like install a radio.

lostforawhile
12-18-2005, 10:24 AM
you need a meter you can get a cheap one from walmart for under twenty bucks, you need to disconnect the battery,then disconnect the white wire from the back of the alternator,with this disconnected, see if it is showing continuity from that white wire to ground, also with the white wire disconnected from the alternator,check the terminal on the alternator between it and ground. if eithier of these show continuity,you have a short. my guess is you have a shorted alternator diode,this would cause an internal short in the alternator and blow the link. that wire from the alternator to the fuse box is very simple,there is no need to replace the harness for that. If you lived near here I could help you in no time. but i'll do the best I can.