PDA

View Full Version : Muffler ROT! Replacement Ideas?

89AccordLX2dr
05-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, my exhaust has been hanging a bit low the last few months and knew the muffler was rotting away. So I grabbed the exhaust tip and gave it a wiggle and just about ripped it right off in my hand. So I gave it a yank and twist and the muffler detacted from the intermediate pipe. So I got the muffler off the hangers and tipped it up and a big pile of rust fell out onto my shoe. Took a peek inside and the sucker is completely hollow! Just the shell, inlet and outlet pipes left.

I'm looking for a replacement and was wondering if anyone here could lead me to any quality mufflers. I want it as quiet as possible, no fart machine, yet not too restrictive. I've heard quiet cars, but I want the exhaust silent :cool: so you think it's not running and grab the starter and eeeerrrrrrtttt shit it's already running!!. anyways, any ideas would be appreciated!

Magny
05-23-2004, 08:30 PM
go to the yard and pick one up from there, best place to get one for cheap. take a magnet with you so you can test the muffler for rust spots.

And yes there is a way to test for rusting weak spots with a magnet. if the metal is intact the magnet will hold strong, if it comes off fairly easy then its weak in that spot. tested my whole car using this method to make sure that the original owner didnt get the car painted with rust spots underneath the paint.

ChaseR
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I have a 3A racing muffler I had installed on my Car 3 weeks before I totaled it, sounds really good on there, if you want I can sell it for $20 shipped....

AccordEpicenter
05-24-2004, 09:20 AM
genuine honda exhaust parts last the longest by far, they also cost the most. If youre going for performance dont bother.

89AccordLX2dr
05-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Ya I'm guessing the yard is my best bet for now. It's not that loud with no muffler as it is now, but I have emissions check coming soon and a muffler must be present. In the future I'd like to find a performance quiet muffler.

Thanks for the offer on the Racing muffler but I'm looking for super quiet. You'd lose money on that anyways, since it would cost more than 20$ to ship.

Any brand names anyone knows of who makes performance silent mufflers compatible with 3g accord?

shepherd79
05-24-2004, 01:44 PM
if you want silent muffler i would recomend dynomax super turbo muffler.
you can get one with hangers and tip welded at advance autoparts store.
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=WAL&MfrPartNumber=17706
the part number:17706
if you still have stock exaust it is the perfect muffler to keep the noise and back pressure down.
or you can get one from here http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=product.asp&d=8&s=666&p=7217&searchtype=ecat

89AccordLX2dr
05-24-2004, 02:04 PM
That looks like a good choice for my application. Yah, my exhaust is stock. I don't really know if I'll upgrade it. We'll see when the rest of it rots away. Maybe goto 2" ID. Thanks for the pointer! :cheers: