PDA

View Full Version : No Brake Lights!!!!

RED LXI
05-24-2004, 11:32 AM
Do our cars have a relay for the brake lights, cause mine just stopped working all of a sudden. I know it is not the bulbs because the rear light come on when I turn the lights on. I have also changed the switch by the pedal twice but that isn't the problem and the fuses have been replaced. does anyone know what this problem could be. :help: :dunno:

86LXi|JustONE
05-24-2004, 12:06 PM
ehh maybe the fuses arent in the right place?...or maybe the main relay to the tail lights has giving out

RED LXI
05-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know where the main tail light relay is located??? :help:

thegreatdane
05-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Just because the rear light comes on doesnt mean the brake light cant be blown. There are 2 "circuits" in the bulbs, so take out the bulb and check if both of the litle wires inside the bulb is there.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2004, 12:48 PM
thegreatdane is right, I was going to suggest this too. If you have a digital mulitimeter it would help a lot for checking shorts and to see if the brake lights are getting power at all.

-Mike

Mac
05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that is no main relay for the brake lights. Does your horn work? If not check fuse #4 in the under the hood fuse/relay panel.

Does the high mount brake light work? Like stated above the lights have 2 filaments in them, so it is possible that the brake filament to be burnt out and the tail light still work. But usually if a brake light burns out you will get a brake lamp indicator on the dash.

You should have 12 volts on the white/yellow wire to the switch by the brake pedal all the time.

smufguy
05-24-2004, 03:24 PM
i think the gray box right under the radio right above the carpet controls the brake circuitory. So check that out and see whats up with that too.

RED LXI
05-25-2004, 05:51 AM
Thanks everyone, I found the problem, but this just makes the situation more interesting. About 3 months ago I pulled out the horn/stop fuse, because there was a short coming from that fuse that was continuing to kill my battery. After taking out the fuse , my brake lights still worked fine until about 2 days ago when someone brought then to my attention. How is this possible?? I tested the lights myself so I knew they were working after pulling that fuse, but why didi they stop and why after such a long period of time. Also, my rear defogers are not hooked up but whenever i put in the defogger fuse it sparks as if a lot of current is being drawn, ccan I just leave this fuse out without disrupting the circuitry of anything else in the car. :rockon: :cool: :bow:

Mac
05-25-2004, 03:11 PM
That's good that you got the brake lights working again. Was it the fuse in the under the hood fuse/relay panel? If so I can't see how they ever worked with it out.

Which fuse are you talking about with the rear window defogger? The under dash or under the hood?