PDA

View Full Version : Cam Shaft Seal

mag_pbg
05-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Im going ot be chainging my timing belt and I thoughtit would prob. be good to change my cam shaft seal except my Haynes manual doesn't really go into detail except just saying I need to remove me cam shaft and my rocker arm assembly wich I don't really want to do becuase I would like this poject to be as painless as possible, so my question is, is there are a easier way to remove my cma shaft seal then to remove my rocker arm assembly¿

A20A1
05-24-2004, 03:58 PM
slide out the old one and pop the new one in... but I wouldn't do it that way... it really isn't time consuming to take off the rocker arm assembly... plus you might as well adjust the valve lash.

Vinny
05-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Its a better Idea to change the front crank seal than the cam seal. Best thing is to do them both. The front and rear crank seal can be atttributed to a majority of the oil leaks on accords.

You don't have to remove anything but the cam shaft gear to change the cam seal. Becareful not to lose the woodruff key when you pull the gear off. I took a sharpened flathead screwdriver, broke the surface of the seal and pried it out. CAREFULLY and EVENLY tap the new seal in. Easy Money.

Crank seal is the same way. Pull the gear off. Don't lose the key. Pop the seal out, lightly hammer the new one in.

OH and make SURE the surface is 100% oil free and clean when you put the new seal in