PDA

View Full Version : starting my new project as of today!

oneslammedlxi
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
well.... to make a long story short, a friend crashed his 89 civic Si
i got his ENTIRE fron clip,tranny and ecu and the full car harness, along with the dash w/ cluster and shit, and the seats.

what im doing as of today is building a go cart out of the engine, tranny, blah blah blah

it is going to be rwd, and the moving suspension shit is going to be aligned and welded so it wont move, i got done an engine cradle, and rear frame to support the struts, springs, and other suspension shit, and i made a steering setup with the help of my friends and my dad. it will be a 1+1 meaning there will be 2 seats, but mounted one in front of the other, will have full rollcage and some ghetto 5 point harness' out of an old dunebuggy.

the front tires, rims bearings are from an old pnumatic tired dolly that i broke a while back and are approx 13" tall and 4 1/2" wide.

i hope to be done with it by the end of next month.

my only real problem i am currently facing is rigging up a shift linkage....that looks like it is going to be very hard.

this is gonna be a hella fun little beast, or a really good deathtrap....depends on how you want to look at it, it is going to be approx 1/2 the length of a rail buggy.

anyway, i will get pics up when my new camera arrives in the mail and i actually figure it out.

what do you all think?

DanLXI88
05-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Holy crap! That thing will be fast and furious :lol: I would suggest putting some sort of a bumper on it just in case. I think the idea is awesome and I can't wait to see some pictures.

deadlight
05-25-2004, 09:09 AM
This is going to fucking rule. I was going to do something to the same extent but with a Yamaha dirtbike 250cc, that plan kind of went nowhere though, just another one of those "really good ideas" you have when you're drunk. Anyways, I'd check out some sandrail sites, I know you can figure out something for the shift linkage, and there are probably people who have done the exact same thing. I know we have a member on SHOforum who has an SHO V-6 powered sandrail, and knows a couple people with turbo'd SHO V-6 sandrails, you can make this work definitely, it will be worth the effort.

88accordhb
05-25-2004, 10:28 AM
i love ef hatch dude, sweet! good luck

oneslammedlxi
05-25-2004, 12:23 PM
yea, i love the 4g civic too, i wish i still had my old one, she was my pride and joy (noflaming, afterall, it IS the best civic in the lineup up to date)

i have an idea for the shift linkage, but i cant try it until the frame starts to come together.

actually, i have already thought about what happens if i crash it, and i would be a dead man! SOOO we are making about a 2 foot crush panel with mild steel and dense styrofoam.

we got the guage cluster positioned and installed todayand i got the car harness shortened down to approx. length, made rear bumper, and mounter the ecu in a steel box, andput some trailer taillights on it.

when im done im gonna take it to the strip and see what she runs lol, there are guys out there all of the time with go karts and 4 wheelers running them just for shits'n'giggles.

anyone got any idea what she will pull? im guessing shomewhere in the 8's or 9's

da da DA DA DEATH MACHINE.....lol

oneslammedlxi
05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
woa, crap i just thought of something.....i am going to ahve to weigh the front down HARDCORE and fabricate some wheelie bars, otherwise im a gonner, the frame wont weight too much, im making it out of chainlink fence steel tubing.

HostileJava
05-25-2004, 12:38 PM
So what exactly are you doing for brakes? I would imagine you are going to need more traction than 4.5" wide dolly wheels, although I'm sure.

DanLXI88
05-25-2004, 01:41 PM
What if you used a wing in the front to keep the nose down ? I think if you get it to run anything over 14's that your a dead man them Flintstone brakes suck at 100 MPH ya know?
Also this is a dangerous idea but what about mounting the gas tank upfront for added weight?

oneslammedlxi
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
i have a 1 gallon fuel cell from a gocart i used to have, so it wouldnt weight it down none, the brakes are something i have been thinking alot about today....i really dont know what to do as far as all that goes....hopefully its not going to be a big bump in getting this thing finished.
my dad suggested friction brakes (a thick piece of metal that rubs on the tires when you hit the brake....but i dont think that would be very effective.
i dunno, any ideas anyone?

NXRacer
05-28-2004, 07:58 AM
just use the brakes from the civic.

how are the sandrails brakes setup?

deadlight
05-28-2004, 08:11 AM
I was gonna ask the same thing as NX, just use the civic brakes if possible, also, *edit* you already have what I said taken care of...

oneslammedlxi
05-29-2004, 02:24 AM
we are trying that, but having a hell of a time using the civic brakes cheaply, im trying to do this project on a budget..as of right now it is at a standstill, i'll keep everyone posted, and my digigcan should arrive monday acording to the punk on ebay