PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Installation problems!

Zer0
05-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Well im trying to change the pressure plate and clutch disk and I have got some of the things out of the way so i can get the transmission out so i can do what i have to, but i have run into a snag. In the how to section of the how to replace your clutch, it says "Remove the lower arm ball joint bolt from the right side lower control arm, then using a puller to disconnect the ball joint from the knuckle.", i thought ok shouldnt be anything difficult well for some reason i was wrong. I had a ball joint remover from removing the tie rod ball joints, but that doesnt seem to work and the puller i had didnt seem right cause it didnt get it off, as a matter of a fact it broke(but it didnt look all that strong in the first place). But i was just wondering if anyone who has done this can help me out please! Thank you in advance.

AccordEpicenter
05-24-2004, 10:33 PM
for the lower ball joint remove the 17mm nut on there and cotter pin then use a pickle fork to break it loose, put the fork between the knuckle and the lower arm and hit it with a 5lb hammer... a few hits will get almost any bj out in a hurry

Vinny
05-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Pickle fork and a BFH (bug Fackin HAmmer) Take the nut and cotter pin out, slip the fork between the lower arm and ball joint and knock the hell out of it. Careful that will rip a balljoint boot

ChaseR
05-24-2004, 10:58 PM
it is so much easier to just pull the engine, I am so glad I have always had the resources to do that

Vinny
05-25-2004, 05:09 AM
it is so much easier to just pull the engine, I am so glad I have always had the resources to do that

I can remove and reinstall a transmission as well as swapping out the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate and be back on the road in in under 3 hours. Your telling me you can pull the engine, THEN seperate the tranny, replace the clutch, and be done in the same amount of time?????? I seriously doubt that.

mzabeefy
05-25-2004, 07:10 AM
I've just used a big hammer and bang on the side of the lower control arm where the balljoint is.. there's a small bump that sticks out. the Pickle forks tend the tear the balljoint boot. Banging on the lower control arm gets it out without hurting the boot, it takes a little more effort though. But banging stuff with a big hammer is always fun.

skull1441
05-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I can remove and reinstall a transmission as well as swapping out the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate and be back on the road in in under 3 hours. Your telling me you can pull the engine, THEN seperate the tranny, replace the clutch, and be done in the same amount of time?????? I seriously doubt that.

3 hours ?? wow :bow:

shepherd79
05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
i have done it in 1 day with breakfast, lunch, dinner and swimming pool breaks. when i swap the tranny or change the clutch i am not in a hurry. i take as much time as possible, this way i don't have to do the yard work.

Vinny
05-25-2004, 01:46 PM
i have done it in 1 day with breakfast, lunch, dinner and swimming pool breaks. when i swap the tranny or change the clutch i am not in a hurry. i take as much time as possible, this way i don't have to do the yard work.

Alex I just earned much repect for you my man. I have a 13 year old so no yard work for me. Plus I've swapped out 6 trannies so its almost second nature

89AccordLX2dr
05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Hey you guys want to do my clutch? :lol:

Vinny
05-25-2004, 04:46 PM
yeah sure bring it on down here to S GA and I'll hook ya up :D

unc25
05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
seriously vinny if I come down how much would you charge me?

Vinny
05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
We'd have to discuss that Unc, Just depends on what you need done and what shape the car is in. I can get mine done so quickly becuse its a FL car and has never seen road salt and such. I'll get with ya

Sean
05-25-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah vinny ill drive down from michigan and you can do my clutch and a how to as well ;-)

Vinny
05-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Well I've learned from some of the best :D Nice to see ya round still, teach

shepherd79
05-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Alex I just earned much repect for you my man. I have a 13 year old so no yard work for me. Plus I've swapped out 6 trannies so its almost second nature

i learnded from the best, my dad. he told me: " more drinking, less working."

ChaseR
05-25-2004, 09:19 PM

where did I say it would take me three hours? i think it ended up taking 4, 5 Hours tops, and thats working strait through...