PDA

View Full Version : VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

88LXiHB
07-17-2002, 12:09 PM
What happens when this goes, I got an ECU code for it last night, but not today, and I notice no difference....

dosh8er
07-17-2002, 03:24 PM
I'm going to take a guess on this one. I'm thinking Speed Sensor, which is mounted on the transmission (auto AND manual), is not working. Here is a picture of one:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_J32.gif

Maybe something is malfunctioning with this? Maybe I'm totally off, and on crack. (i'm thinking the second one would be kinda nice... but I think I'm right :sigh: )

This unit measures the speed of the transmission, i don't really know too much about the specifics of the measurements, but I do know what's inside one, how to get it apart, how to mount it on the transmission PROPERLY (and not break it as I did when I did my clutch, then have it welded, only to find out that the seals inside are fried, and then have to search down some new ones... god what a mess that was), etc. Where the actual wiring is, is a mystery to me. Then again, I might be thinking something else. The speedometer cable runs into this unit, so maybe the electrical stuff is up in the dash area.

shepherd79
07-17-2002, 06:12 PM
well here is what i found out when i was changing clutch last summer. sensor has two lines connected to power steering, which i don't understand why. non of the manuals do explain what it does.
i have a weard thing happening to my power steering.
one day it is so light i can turn with my one finger and the other day it can be hard so i have to use one hand.
what does this sensor do anyway?

POS carb
07-17-2002, 06:55 PM
i didn't think our cars had vss, maybe it's an 88-89 pgm-fi feature

POS carb
07-17-2002, 06:56 PM
btw that picture posted isn't really a sensor it's just a gear and it spins the speedo cable and regulates the flow of the p/s fluid

locknload68
07-17-2002, 08:59 PM
I'm taking a guess here. Maybe it's for the cruise control so it knows how fast the car is going. Try using your cruise and see if it works.

monsonhonda
07-18-2002, 06:49 AM
the reason that the wires go to the power steering is our cars adjust the power steering assist is based on speed, i think.

peace

fussell

dj99
07-18-2002, 07:26 AM
I looked in the manual. The speedo cable comes out of the tranny holder shown above, then comes up to the back of the gauge cluster. There is a "speed sensor" reed switch there that generates 4 pulses per rotation of the speedo cable.

They do give a troubleshooting flowchart that I can scan & email if you want it.

The first thing on the chart is to pull fuse 11 CLOCK fuse under the hood for 10 seconds to reset ECU, then road-test to see if cruise control sets, and if the check engine/ECU code sets again.

shepherd79
07-18-2002, 08:39 AM
so this thing on the picture controls the power steering flow.
ohhh ha, that may explain my steering wheel problem.
well,i will have to get another one from junk yard.

DanG86LX
07-19-2002, 08:21 AM
About #3 thingy in the picture..

I think this was a "nice feature" Honda put it on the car and most likely other car makers too. That might be sort of a steering modulator: as the car goes at lower speeds the steering is made easy (power steering working fully) but at higher speeds the power steering is chocked a bit and make the steering feel harder and the car more stable (no U turns at 100mph!)...
my 2 cents.

BTW mine is leaking fluid, hope from the hoses or it might be that seal DOSH8ER mentioned.

DanG

DBMaster
07-19-2002, 10:26 AM
The P/S speed sensor is not connected electrically so it could not be the cause of a "check engine" light. Mine oozes a little out the tope due to a bad internal o-ring. Only way to fix it is to replace it. It is about $130. My P/S high pressure line also has a pressure switch in it that is supposed to signal the ECU to slightly increase idle speed when the steering is under load. Not sure if this switch being bad would cause a check engine light.

accordlx
07-19-2002, 01:48 PM
DB, Who in the heck told you that it was going to cost that much to replace the o ring. There isnt huge pressure in that thing. It attaches with like 2 10 mm bolts and pulls straight out. I busted mine when I swapped the trannys. i pulled my old one out of the original tranny and plugged it in the new one. It took more time to attach the lines than anything. Just pull the damn thing out and go down to autozone and match up the old o ring with a new one. It'll cost you less than $5 bucks.

There are no electrical connectors to the vss and it is not really a sensor. Its more like a little pump that runs off of the ATF flow inside the tranny and controls power steering boost by the amount of flow in the tranny.

dj99
07-19-2002, 01:54 PM
O-rings are 25-35 cents at the hardware store.

DBMaster
07-19-2002, 01:54 PM
lx, I am not talking about the o-ring that seals the thing to the transaxle case. Mine oozes P/S fluid which is from an INTERNAL o-ring going bad. Supposedly, you can't disassemble the speed sensor, only replace it. Thus, the $130 is for the whole speed sensor.

Sorry if I was unclear as to which o-ring I referred.

rocky2
07-19-2002, 05:58 PM
I was wondering what that thing did?? Do you guys think it could mess up the power steering. My lxi steers harder then my dx.

accordlx
07-20-2002, 12:21 AM
Even better yet, get it on 5 finger discount from the junkyard.

DBMaster
07-20-2002, 07:38 AM
It's a bit large to fit in your pocket. Maybe in the bottom of a big tool box. Some of the yards I go to say "No Tool Boxes" for that very reason.

dosh8er
07-20-2002, 05:25 PM
yo dang omanomanan...wutyoutalkin'bout? (Boomhower style)

DBMaster, I DID DISASSEMBLE MY Power steering assist/speedo sensor holder. I had to to replace the INTERNAL seal INSIDE, because I welded the bracket back onto it (yeah, a real dumbass move on my part to begin with, but I fixed it).

Yes, there is a way to repair that fscking $120 bull crap. There is no way I'd pay that for something like that. I bought 2 brand new seals of the near-exact same size from a place close by. (The place is called Martin Fluid Power (http://www.mfpseals.com/), for those of you who want to do some ordering) They were #6 or #8 o-rings. I think if you look at their online catalog, you'd find the ring there. I'll have to call over there to find out what I bought.

C'mon guys. I'm cheap, I'm brilliant, and if I break it I'M GOING to fix it!

dj99
07-20-2002, 08:26 PM
Go dosh8er!

It's pretty appalling how some folks feel all to easy about separating us from our cash these days. I am all for fixing it myself after too many times letting somebody else do it for me (read rip me off). Especially for a 25 cent o-ring! Good for you. :D

monsonhonda
07-21-2002, 06:31 AM
werd

jtb_116
01-28-2021, 07:08 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but ran into this problem myself and was unable to find any details on sizes for the orings.
For the oring that seals between the speed sensor and the transmission, it's spec from Honda is 23.5 mm ID, 2 mm wide. For the oring on the inner part of the speed sensor, I measured it to be 44 mm ID, 2 mm wide.

Turns out although these seals needed replacing, my speed sensor was leaking PS fluid out the weep holes on the sides of the sensor assembly. This is because the speedo cable has a rubber seal around it where it goes into the sensor and when I removed it and reinstalled during an engine change, the seal got folded over a little and was causing PS fluid to leak past it which, when this happens, is designed to flow out the weep holes. Unfortunately, this was this leaking past my bad oring between the speed sensor and trans, contaminating my trans fluid. My trans was popping out of 1st gear (only 1st) and after fixing the leak by simply flipping the fold on the seal straight and changing the fluid it was back to normal. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Dr_Snooz
01-28-2021, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the update. Did you notice any issues with your steering? I wonder how many of us have the same issue without knowing.