PDA

View Full Version : k so i almost broke my car

T-Funk
05-26-2004, 08:50 AM
driving to work down whyte and this old guy starts turning in front of me like he didnt even see me, although i had my headlights up and on too, while im doing like 60 so i slam on my brakes and slide through the intersection swerving around him.

my problem is this.
my brakes, im assuming driver side rear drum has been scraping when braking and sounding like a train stopping, i know the shoes on the passenger side are worn really bad so i can only assume driver side is worse
after i stopped i smelled horrible burning and there was smoke everywhere
do u think it was just my tires from stopping so fast?
i know im probably screwing up my drum driving on it but i have no time to do these until friday and ive been trying to avoid braking too hard.

but heres another question, would it be the back brakes if it doesnt make the scraping sound when i use the ebrake?

86LXItooFAST4me
05-26-2004, 09:03 AM
are the lx models drum all the way around or disk in the front? very rearly do the rear brakes ware before the front. what shape is the front in?

T-Funk
05-26-2004, 09:09 AM
drum just in back
i checked my front brakes about a week ago just before i took the car in for service on my cv joint, and they were in really good condition, lots of pad left.
checked the rear passenger drum and shoes on monday after the scraping started and it was worn to all hell, i really should have checked the driver side just for piece of mind

86LXItooFAST4me
05-26-2004, 09:13 AM
well when ever you get a chance, change the shoes ASAP, lol. the drums maybe salvageable but i would just buy new ones. i think they run from like 15 to 30 bucks. if you dont wanna do that you could turn them at most auto part stores. be carefull driving though, with your brakes like that the rears will lock up so i wouldnt be rideing anyones ass or anything. have fun!

T-Funk
05-26-2004, 09:18 AM
yeah they locked up quite nicely, kinda frightening, ive never slid that far on a dry road on a sunny day lol
the drum actually looks fine on passenger side, maybe i should jack up my car in the parking lot after work and check the driver side

89dxowner
05-26-2004, 09:19 AM
quit ebraking so much. lol

T-Funk
05-26-2004, 09:21 AM
rofl no i dont ebrake at all, ive just tried avoiding using my real brakes on slow residential streets with the ebrake also to see if it makes noise when i use it.
this little old man trying to kill me incident was all normal brakes

DanLXI88
05-26-2004, 09:30 AM
rofl no i dont ebrake at all, ive just tried avoiding using my real brakes on slow residential streets with the ebrake also to see if it makes noise when i use it.
this little old man trying to kill me incident was all normal brakes

LOL when you pull the E brake you are using your real brakes your rear brakes that is. This might be why your drums are so far gone since they are not designed to be the only thing stopping the car.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-26-2004, 09:35 AM
yeah, if its your rear brakes that are bad, pulling the e brake wouldnt help this situation very much :rofl:

T-Funk
05-26-2004, 09:35 AM
haha nooononono ive used my ebrake like once in the winter and never until these last couple days
i just havent changed my shoes in like forever
ive used the ebrake sometimes these last couple days because then people dont stare at my car going EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHH

speedpenguin
05-26-2004, 01:32 PM
disc brake swap!
disc brake swap!
disc brake swap!

T-Funk
05-26-2004, 01:45 PM
oh how i would love that, drums are stupid