PDA

View Full Version : hesitation problem

88accordalltheway
05-26-2004, 09:10 PM
i have a bad hesitation problem guys. I step on the gas, and my car almost dies, but it dosent. This happens EVERY time i step on the gas. It is becoming very anoything since i have had the car. I know its not any fluid prob cause all my fluids are normal. It might be a carb prob or a vaccume problem. I honelstly dont even want to touch my carb because im afraid of messing it up. I know nothing is blocking the intake because ive taken the filter and lid off and it still does it, in fact i notice it more when its like that. Help guys, tell me whats wrong!

A20A1
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Shazam. :D
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

88accordalltheway
05-27-2004, 04:06 PM
ill check the venturis....

pixiesfan78
05-27-2004, 06:58 PM
i have the exact same problem my carb has been rebuilt. vac lines removed ac removed. it idles good drives perfect accept on the take off. i have two guesses maybe the air fuel mixture is not correct i have yet to play with that since i set it after the vac removal.or maybe the cat or muffeler is backing exaust up in to the engine then once your moving the exaust is flowing enough to drive normal. am i shakin my ass in the wind here guys.

Brentm
05-27-2004, 08:03 PM
I have this same problem too stupmed as hell, imna take my car to a mechanic to get them to fix my goddamn carb. (probably not the problem but it needs rebuilding neways)

HondaBoy
05-27-2004, 08:08 PM
i'd say check your vacuum lines on the carb. you dont really have to do much. maybe just visually examine then and feel them for holes or cracks. mine had a hole in one. i replaced it and it fixed my hessitation

ACE_14
05-27-2004, 09:47 PM
I had a similar problem with my F.I. It was a vacuum problem. Vacuum on distributor wasn't being advanced. I went through and replaced some vacuum lines and it doesn't do it any more.

A20A1
05-28-2004, 12:17 AM
I just point out the venturi problem each time cause it's often overlooked.

88accordalltheway
05-28-2004, 08:25 PM
venturis are good, imma check the vaccume lines next.....

88accordalltheway
05-28-2004, 08:47 PM
did visual check on the vacume lines, noting wrong that i could see. Is there anything that i could spray on the vacume lines to check for leaks? maybe carb cleaner? Im thinkin if its not the vacume lines its going to be that i either need to adjust my carb, rebuild it or even get a new one. Help please. It seems like everyone has a similar prob bot no one has a rea answer. Is it too general a problem to fix?

pixiesfan78
05-28-2004, 09:03 PM
come on people lets get a solution here i have romoved most vac lines and the only ones left are new maybe a vac leak at the sael between carb and manifold i often wonder if you can remove that plastc thermal thingy between carb and manifold anybody done that?

A20A1
05-28-2004, 10:01 PM
you can't remove that... the thorttle linkage needs it for clearance

pixiesfan78
05-28-2004, 11:09 PM
did visual check on the vacume lines, noting wrong that i could see. Is there anything that i could spray on the vacume lines to check for leaks? maybe carb cleaner? Im thinkin if its not the vacume lines its going to be that i either need to adjust my carb, rebuild it or even get a new one. Help please. It seems like everyone has a similar prob bot no one has a rea answer. Is it too general a problem to fix? carb cleaner is pretty harsh i would think it would cause premature failure of the vac lines though it is good to check around the base of the carb once in a while. in fact im gonna try that tomorrow. but it seems like the last time i did that it act like a leak around the throttle shaft anybody ever had that happen if so how do you fix it?also i did have the air cleaner off while i was spraying i thought maybe the mist went in to the barrel. the change in idle was so slight it just seemed to not do it cosistently. this is a really annoying flaw to live with if i could figure it out it would make my week any suggestions at all will be apprieciated.

Brentm
05-29-2004, 12:38 AM
my friend has a huge 4x4 and if he goes thru massive puddles then stops after and goes to drive his truck, he finds he has water in his dist cap, and seeming as my car only has this problem in the rain, im going to check my dist cap next time this happens, then ill silicone the thing like pamela andersons boobs exploded in my engine.

Michael Cote
05-29-2004, 04:33 AM
First of all you have to make sure your accelerator pump is working. With engine off, air filter cover lid removed and screen. Look down carb making sure choke is open, pump throttle linkage or get someone to step on gas peddle while you look down into carb. You should see squirts of gas everytime the peddle/throttle is pushed through primary barrel. If no suirts are present then you have either dirt in outport or accel pump is gone. It's probably dirt so find out from someone familiar with location of port and blast carb cleaner up there with bent tube that comes with the cleaners or take something (wire,straightened paperclip etc.)and run it up port to loosen dirt. Don't drop wire down carb. Good luck.

88accordalltheway
05-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Look down carb making sure choke is open, pump throttle linkage or get someone to step on gas peddle while you look down into carb. You should see squirts of gas everytime the peddle/throttle is pushed through primary barrel.
what does the choke look like? can you get a pic?(sorry i know nothing about carbs)

88accordalltheway
05-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Michael cote, what exactly do you want me to clean?

Michael Cote
05-30-2004, 06:21 AM
OK I'll try to explain this as best I can but your probaly going to have to at least talk to someone in person with your car or same in front of you. When you have air filter cover lid off and you look straight down through the screen you will see a square flat flapper in one of the two sides of your carb. It has to be straight up and down in order to see past it. If it's closed you'll have to take the screen off (two 10mm nuts) and remove screen and hold choke open with screw driver etc. With engine off, have someone step on the gas peddle WHILE you look down carb (you may need flashlight)to see if you see a squirt of gas coming out of a little hole in one side of carb. If accel pump is working properly, you will see the squirts no problem. I can't remember exactly where squirt comes from but it's on this 3geez website (find picture of inside top of carb somewhere here) plus others on site reading this may be more presice with location of it. I cleaned mine out with carb cleaner by cutting the end of tube/straw that comes with the spraycan at an angle and by bending the tube to squirt up accel pump port where the squirt comes from. I used thin wire to run up hole to clean mine. You should have someone more familiar do this but not some service joint as they will want to rebuild etc. etc. if you can't see squirts during test. If you do see squirts then during the test then that's not your problem unless very weak squirts which means partial blockage of port. You may flood engine a bit after doing this so may be a little hard to start. If so hold to floor while cranking over till it catches. Don't rev too high once it starts. Good luck.

Michael Cote
05-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Hey, All thev way.
Got a question for you. Does the car hesitate or hick-up a little while holding steady pressure on gas peddle or maintaining speeds say 40-50mph or just while your pulling away etc?

88accordalltheway
05-30-2004, 10:42 AM
ok, when i step on the gas, it starts to go, then it almost dies for a second (theres a point when there is silence) then it goes. it only happend when i go from a stopped position. the rpms are about 1250 to 1500 when it almost dies. once past this hesitation it is fine. Id say its more of a hick-up. ok, yesterday i was looking down the one thing with the square flap, and i was wondering how far down and on what side is the squirt of gas coming from? cause i didnt see it(i kinda couldent, it was all smoky from carb cleaner i had squirted doen there)
thx for the help

Michael Cote
05-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm going to try your own e-mail address provided in your profile to send you some links and a hand drawing. If it doesn't work e-mail me at [email protected]

pixiesfan78
05-30-2004, 08:26 PM
ok people i screwed with it some more today this is a list of the things i have eliminated as the problem. venturi jets are tight' no vacume leak for sure i used sealent inbetween carb and thermal heater and inbetween thermal heater and mani. all new vac lines even though thers only 4 or 5 of them' acceelerator pump works great' fuel filters have less then ten thousand on them' oh i also did the manual secondary conversion today nice boost! i played with the air fuel mixture it was a little off but did not help the hesitation' oh i just thought of something i dont know what you call it but the diaphragm that adjusts the throttle stop screw on the left side of the carb has a leaky bladder its a very fine leak i disconected the line to it and sucked on it it engages but does not hold pressure.i dont know why but when i rebiult the carb the kit did not have this bladder. could this be it? i geuss i can pull the line and plug it then drive see if thats it. that shouldnt mess up normal driving operations right?if theres anything else anyone can think of let us know i think were getting close i can taste it. p.s. noone has answered my question about the exaust if the muffeler or cat were backing exaust up in to the engine would this cause a hesitation the cat is only about 8 months old but i did not replace the muffeler due to lack of funds it had tons of shit comin out of it when it was taken off i think i got most of it out but it still bothers me. im not gonna replace it though untill i can afford a new header and 2.25'' sraight back to the muffler.haha no emissions rules i can basterdize this car untill im blue in the face. help please.

pixiesfan78
05-31-2004, 06:08 PM
i was reading last night in the kehien mods thread that a lot of people get that nosedive off the line problem after the vac removal and or secondary conversion. im sure sean probably knows how to solve it. im thinking maybe we do need a small upgrade on the fuel pump after the emissions craps gone and factory intake. that all leads to a big squirt of air get blasted down the barrels i feels to me like the engine chokes on its own breath for a second im just kind of hoping a new exaust and muffler will help at this point. but what about the fuel pump thing anybody?