PDA

View Full Version : Condenser fan not working

IN_ONE_ACCORD
05-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Newbie here, and great forum....
I need to know what connections/fuses to check on a '87 accord because my condenser fan (smaller one) isn't running. It should come on when I turn on the a/c, but it's not. It is an LX model (carb.) and the big fan is working fine. I just charged the a/c since it wasn't as cool as it should be, and now it's cooling fine, just think it might improve cooling alittle at idle and low speeds. Thanks for any help

Vinny
05-27-2004, 05:09 AM
The condensor fan runs through the same cooling fan relay as the engine fan. SO assuming the engine fan comes on with the AC on but the condensor doesn't I'd check at the connector on the condensor fan. If the connectors on correctly check for 12 volts. If its there the fan motor is bad. If not the you may have a break in the harness. If you need the schematic I can possible post it later. I'd go more in depth but my electrical service manual is at home on my roll-away

Blkblurr
05-27-2004, 05:55 AM
On my 89 SEi the condenser fan also called the sub-cooling fan I think is controlled by a pressure switch on your air conditioner that turns on the fan relay in the fuse box under your hood (round relay can). The fuse that powers the fan is fuse #5 and is under the dash. My a/c was very low and I had to jumper the pressure switch to make the compresser run. When I did that, the sub coolinmg fan came on as well.

Vinny
05-27-2004, 05:58 AM
^^^^^ Its an 87 NOT an 89. The systems are ALOT different between the 86.87's and the 88/89's

Blkblurr
05-27-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks. That's what I suspected but wasn't sure

IN_ONE_ACCORD
05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys, I'm shopping ebay for a service manual....quick question
Is the OEM service manual better than say---a Chilton that covers many cars?
I'll undo connector tonite when I get home and check voltage. Prolly the
fan went tits up.

Vinny
05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
OEM is MUCH better than a chiltons. If you ever get the chance to get one, they make an electrical service manual as well. I own both and they are the BEST source of knowledge outside the forum. You DO know you can download the service manual right?

Accord service manual, courtesy of Paul (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html)

If it turns out to be the fan motor let me know. I have one for sale in the marketplace now for 15 bucks plus shipping

IN_ONE_ACCORD
05-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I have downloaded just the pages I need at times. Just like having a real book over the shitty Haynes manual, since I'm gonna run her till she dies!
And thanks, I'll let you know if I need the fan.