View Full Version : Doing propane injection now need help

cvergi01
05-28-2004, 01:39 PM

cvergi01
05-28-2004, 01:41 PM
forgot to say...should I hook it in through the fuel line or the intake....carb

HostileJava
05-28-2004, 01:55 PM
I would tend to think it gets hooked up similarly to nitrous but that being the case do you have somthing to limit how much propane is going into the intake? If your not careful you will more then likely lean the engine out very quickly you need some way of getting more fuel into there with the extra propane.

cvergi01
05-28-2004, 01:56 PM
I've got ....now I know it's bad....a valve inside the car, Kinda like a spigot

cvergi01
05-28-2004, 01:59 PM
this is how I have it...I think it might push the fuel out of the way...there's a lot of pressure

........................F
........................|
p----------------|----------carb

Propane would only turn on when I open the valve
but I can jus turn it on a tiny bit and go from there

cvergi01
05-28-2004, 02:10 PM
ok, I guess I'll just try it...if I die it's been fun yall

87AccordsterLx
05-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Did you die? Just curious...

86LXItooFAST4me
05-29-2004, 06:37 PM
dude, you hook it up like N2O. if he just shoot it in by a strait line in from the bottel and just turn it on i bet he is dead, or hurt. hope your ok man! i guess if you gotta learn, the hard way is always the fun way.

customandsound
05-29-2004, 07:05 PM
bad idea

shepherd79
05-30-2004, 04:11 AM
propane with fuel on gasoline engine is bad idea. plus you have carb which make it even worst.

cvergi01
06-01-2004, 08:34 AM
ok, I didn't have a chance to do it...I was about to hook it up and my roomate called and said we had to leave for LK. Chelan right then, but I've been thinking, I've got the line all hooked up and ready to put into the fuel line but since propane is about -50 degrees to just put it in through the air intake. I'm gonna try it today, let me know what would be better, mixed with fuel or air. and bear in mind this is my experimental accord that I can play around with and not worry about getting to work the next day.

Oyvind Ryeng
06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
...Sooo, propane is like a poor mans nitrous? Why not use nitrous in the fiirst place? Its's after all proven time and time again to WORK!

customandsound
06-01-2004, 05:41 PM
just hook up nos and save the firedeptment from coming to put your bon fire out !!!!
i read some where you can do propane on a desil but still is a bad idea

cvergi01
06-01-2004, 05:55 PM
well, I've kinda got it hooked up like nos, only I'm carbed so I have it like

. F P
. \ /
. Y
. |
. CARB

have the fuel running constantly, and just hit the propane in there. I'm not using nos because 1) it's expensive and 2) I KNOW I'd kill myself

Oyvind Ryeng
06-01-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm not using nos because 1) it's expensive and 2) I KNOW I'd kill myself
So instead of using a small nozzle for like 30 horesepower with the nitrous system, you use a for the most part uncharted system where it's all about trial-and-error?

shepherd79
06-02-2004, 03:44 AM
propane is fuel. where Nitro is Oxygen.
so what you are trying to do is add extra fuel without adding more air.
here is my prediction: you will get the car going. flip the switch and boom your car stalls or loses a hell lot of power because of too much fuel.

cvergi01
06-02-2004, 08:15 AM
so should I lean the mixture or rig up some hood scoop that shoots air directly into the intake? but then it would probably be too lean when there's no propane. hmmmm mabye i'll go to the hardware store and see what kind of regulators / gauges they have, but I want to make sure it works before I spend more money I know that the 0-300 psi gauges are like $30.

Dibbs
06-02-2004, 08:55 AM
propane is fuel. where Nitro is Oxygen.
so what you are trying to do is add extra fuel without adding more air.
here is my prediction: you will get the car going. flip the switch and boom your car stalls or loses a hell lot of power because of too much fuel.

:bow: :bow:

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Considering the fact that the flammability of propane is 5-15% concentration, this is probably not a good idea. Like Alex said.....it's fuel....not oxygen. If you dump too much fuel into a carb it either stalls out or runs like crap.

A side note....the company trucks at my new job have been converted to run off natural gas :rockon:

cvergi01
06-02-2004, 09:16 AM
it's not just the flamability...it's 110 octane and -50degrees. If I could get the right mixture and adjust my carb to accomidate it, it should give me something. At least better gas mileage.

cvergi01
06-03-2004, 09:33 AM
OK, I tried it and just as we all thought it bogged the engine down. So the next likely idea was to cut a giant hole in the hood that I'm gonna put a scoop on and have a direct short ram into the carb. Now that I've turned it on and didn't blow up, i'm gonna run the line through the car, lean the mixture, hook up the scoop, and only open the bottle when I'm movin fizast.

tatmark1
06-03-2004, 09:40 AM
propane is used on diesel engines like nos is os gas engines

superaccord
06-03-2004, 10:13 AM
This thread is a very interesting one...

Jokez
06-03-2004, 10:43 AM
There are 4 basic parts to a propane system.

1) The tank(pressure vessel). You want a good, NEW tank,or one with no rust pitts deeper than.025" .The tank MUST be ASME approved with the clover stamp clearly visible and have the following: a pressure relief valve,filler valve,bleeder valve(liquid level gauge), a manual shutoff valve,and a fuel level gauge(visual) along with a vapor outlet and a liquid outlet. Automotive propane tanks are very heavy duty, since tank pressures vary from 40 to as high as 275 psig, depending on ambiant/fuel temp.

2) The Fuel Lock: These valves operate by vacuum, engine oil pressure or electrical solenoid.

3) The Vaporizer/Regulator: Also called a converter this little bugger converts high pressure liquid propane into low pressure vapor.

4) The Air/Fuel Mixer: This is a very simple carburetor that mixes air and fuel into the engine. There are three basic types: air valve mixer,the venturi principal mixer,and the mechanical metering mixer.

Of course you will also need fuel line to run from the tank to the fuel lock as well. You need to use triple steel braided line that can easily handle the high pressure, minimum 250 psi. Also a must is a Hydrostatic Relief valve in line between any shut-off valves.

cvergi01
06-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Ok, I'm gonna print out this page and go to the hardware store today and get it all. but how does this sound: one of the little camping propane cylinders (green), a hose going from that to a shut off valve, then to the fuel line.....I'm assuming that is not enough. :)

cvergi01
06-07-2004, 09:46 AM
here's my "intake" to get more air

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?p=412881#post412881