PDA

View Full Version : 6x9's

Brentm
05-29-2004, 07:52 PM
I like 6x9's I have 2 in my car right now, in the back hatch platform dealy, neways i like my music damn loud, so has anyone mounted 6x9's on the front doors of their cars? I really wanna do this cause loud = fun, so if anyone has pictures or suggestions i wana hear em.

Vanilla Sky
05-29-2004, 07:56 PM
IMO, you're better off with round speakers... they just don't warp as badly as oval ones when used... if you want loud, amp a good set of components with just mids in the rear, and put in a good pair of 15" subs

Brentm
05-29-2004, 08:37 PM
yea im not too fond of 15's i like 12's mostly, lotsa bass but still sound nice and tight. im planning on doing 2 500rms 12's, and getting a 600 watt 4 channel amp for my speakers, just a plan right now, not sure if i want components or not, probably there more fun in my mind.

Vanilla Sky
05-29-2004, 08:40 PM
ok, then go for the 12"s... just IMO, you don't need high range in the back, and you really should have a midbass, a mid-range, and a tweeter upfront (3-way)... for me, i'm goin the cheap way and ordering raw drivers from parts express, and building my own crossovers

Raduque
05-30-2004, 02:29 AM
I have round 6.5" coaxial Pioneers (cheapies from wal-mart, 100w max, 20w RMS) and matching 6x9s in the back, and they get painfully loud just running off HU power (40w max, 22w RMS), but no distortion.

Vanilla Sky
05-30-2004, 03:04 AM
well, when he says loud, i assume he's gonna push them with an amp... if that's the case, you want as rigid of a cone as you can get, even if it's not as big... by the way, i have the wal-mart pioneers, and i don't think much of them at all... not dissin you, they are good replacement speakers, but i wouldn't really consider them a big upgrade (i can build a great set of speakers for my car [2 subs, 4 mid-bass, 2 midrange, and 2 tweeters] for like $500 (minus crossovers)... too bad that will take like 5 amps to run the way i want to (one per sub [2], one for the tweeters [1] one for the mids [1], and one for the midbasses [1 4 channel]) it's gonna be nice, but the pricetag is on the high side...

BTW, your speakers are matched well with your amp, thus little (or no) distortion

Brentm
05-30-2004, 08:02 AM
the one guy that works at a stereo shop here has a 98 civic hatch and hes put in 2 layers of soundproofing all over that car, he was hitting in the high 150's with 2 12,s but he cracked his front window. Thats got to be the most loud car ive ever been in, it feels like your going to pass out if you have the windows rolled up

Raduque
05-30-2004, 08:53 AM
vanilla Sky, I consider them a HUGE upgrade from no speakers at all. ;D
Maybe you don't consider them the greatest, but your $500 setup is so far out of my budget it might as well be $5000. I spent $80 on all 4 of my speakers, and they do what I want them to do, and they sound good.

Brentm, that's waay too loud. That's unenjoyably loud. That's also pretty unhealthy, I really don't know why anybody would willingly put that kind of setup into a daily driver.

edit: I also agree with Vanilla Sky. Round speakers generally have stiffer cones then ovals, and they'll be able to handle high-powered amps better. Also, they will sound their best if you match the RMS wattage of the amp to the speakers.