PDA

View Full Version : Better Gas Mileage

My 89 Accord Lxi
07-17-2002, 08:47 PM
anyone no what i can do to get better gas mileage i get pretty shity gas mileage in my accord but when i drive the sentra it seems like it takes forever for the gas to run out the sentra is a 1.6 so there about the same size i think there maybe something wrong with my car. when the needle is on half i get like 55 miles on that

TeKKnoTeKK
07-17-2002, 09:32 PM
general tune-up.....new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, 02 sensors, fix any exhaust leaks you might have, make sure you have the proper pressure in your tires.....there are probably more.

shepherd79
07-18-2002, 04:46 AM
K&n filter should help

89accordlxi
07-18-2002, 06:09 AM
What kind of mileage are you getting now?? My 89lxi is getting about 27-30 miles a gallon depending on how I drive. This was after a tune up. Before that, I was getting anywhere between 24-27 mpg. Do all of the above to see if it helps. I did all that but didn't notice much difference until I changed the fuel filter.. O2 sensors are expensive so maybe do those last if everything else doesn't help.

Good luck...

Peace out..

netfreak
07-18-2002, 08:44 AM
I don't know if this will work for our cars, but check it out.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=190012&BQ=jcw2

Hoshizakido
07-18-2002, 09:21 AM
the sentra has a smaller engine and is a smaller car. the question i have to ask is does your driving habits change from car to car you might be a litttle heavier on the gas in the accord or drive it more?

89SE-ICoupe
07-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Don't forget to check the ignition timing. Improper timing (too far retarded) can cause excessive fuel consumption, not to mention poor performance.

Dutchboy
07-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Check your float level!!
hahahhah just joking...

id go and do a tune up....i did one on mine and now i get 30 - 32 miles a gallon depending of course how and were you drive..

things to check....fuel filters..plugs and gap....wires...cap rotor...air filter...o2s...

I did this stuff and it helped alot

and does a exhaust leak actually affect mileage?????? then i better get a new flex pipe....the tin can wont hold out forever

Ben

My 89 Accord Lxi
07-18-2002, 06:39 PM
how much did the tune up cost??

89SE-ICoupe
07-18-2002, 10:00 PM
A certified Honda mechanic told me to spray a can of G.M. Top Engine Cleaner through the throttle body, while reving the engine enough to keep it running. You will see white smoke comming from the exhaust until it is burned off. It cleans the intake, valves, and removes carbon deposits that get built up in that area of the engine. When I did this, the engine ran more smoothly, and had better throttle response. You can get it at any G.M. dealership service department. Yes, it does work better than Gum Out.

ACCORD EX
07-19-2002, 02:38 AM
valve adjustment should help if you haven't done it in a long time !

MIKE

88vert
01-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Seafoam works the same way

k-roy
01-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I say check your driving habits. Do not floor it all the time. Keep it in a low gear if you have a stick. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Its usually around 32psi but it should be stamped on the side of the tires. It sounds like you need a tuneup badly. Fuel filters, air filter, pcv valve, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, timing, valve alignment, etc...

I get about 35 combined city/highway. 30 in the city and 43 on the open highway.

Where in NC are you?

k-roy
01-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Seafoam works the same way

What is this seafoam you speak of? Please explain.

I don't know if this will work for our cars, but check it out.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=190012&BQ=jcw2

Thats a gimmik. only use it if you have a tornado. :rolleyes:

88vert
01-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Seafoam will clean all the carbon deposits out of your intake.It is great stuff 5 dollars a can and worth every penny.You can also put it in your gas tank and oil

Admiral
01-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Im thinking tune up, b/c i could stand on my 3Gee'z (when i had one) throttle through a whole tank and not get that bad of mileage.

honda3geeguy
01-12-2004, 09:55 AM
yeah a basic tune up might help the gas millage a bit. maybe get some of those gas savers in bottles. you put them into your gas tank everytime you fill up. if you want to send about $2 for a bottle go for it. it may be cheaper just to get the tune up. if you are still haveing problems with the gas millage after the tune up you may want to use those.
question for admiral:
hey man what happened to your 3 gee?