PDA

View Full Version : How in the World???

89LxiAg
05-30-2004, 02:31 PM
A few weeks ago I decided to change my brake pads and realized that I needed new rotors too. I ordered new rotors and installed them according to my repair manual's instructions. The screws that hold the rotors onto the hub were very old and the heads were kinda stripped, so I decided that I would order new screws and replace them sometime in the future. Well today I pulled off both front tires to discover two of the four screws holding my rotors onto the hubs were sheared off at the hub surface and the heads of those four missing screws had disappeared sometime ago!!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Any idea what caused this - I can only think that two screws were tighter than the other two and when the new rotors began to expand and contract, it sheared them off. BTW, on both rotors, the screws that were sheared off were not next to each other, they were across the centerline of the rotor from each other. Wierd!! :dunno:

89LxiAg
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
According to my manual (decided to look again to see if I missed something), there may only be two screws holding the rotor on, but I could have sworn there were four screws. Anyone else seen there rotors recently to tell me if there are two or four screws holding it onto the hub? Thanks.

T-Funk
05-30-2004, 03:19 PM
mine only has 2, i thought the other two holes were for threading bolts into to push the rotor off if you cant pull it off

86LXItooFAST4me
05-31-2004, 05:11 AM
T-Funk is correct. the other two holes should be threaded on the rotor and there should be no hole behind the threaded holes from the rotor to "push" the rotor from the hub. there should only be two holes in the hub if i remember correctly. im thinking you stripped them out yourself when you put your wheels on. was there alot of wheel vibration after you installed them?

Blue Impact
05-31-2004, 11:03 PM
There should just only be two screws. I've seen the 3G and other 3G's I've seen only have 2 screws. Good thing I never bothered to get an extra pair of screws otherwise the same thing would happen to me. :D

Gregg86DX
06-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Just to expand this topic a bit, I am pretty sure there is no purpose for the screws that hold the rotor to the hub. They are far too small to add any real strength. I would not worry about trying to replace them.

Gregg

86LXItooFAST4me
06-01-2004, 09:42 AM
they help with the brake jobs, that way when you instal the callips and bleed them you dont have a rotor flopping around.

dXsquared
06-01-2004, 10:04 AM
i dont ever put em back on... busting out the impact driver everytime i need to take the rotor off would be a real waste of time for me

Travis

lightbulblxi
06-01-2004, 06:58 PM
the 2 screws are to hold the rotor on, the other hole are to put a bolt in and force the rotor if u can not pull it off as t-funk stated.