PDA

View Full Version : New Amp= :) , Bad Battery= :(

HondaBoy
05-30-2004, 04:16 PM
i got a new amp today. its a DHD NTX 2007 500 watt. its alright. i got it for about $100. it was easy to hook up, i didnt have to make any changes to my wiring from the old amp. it definatly gives my 12's more bump. then of all days for the battery to go! for one, its sunday evening and the auto parts stores are closed at 5:00 pm. so i'm pissed just a bit. all school year i've had problems with my battery. its old and its a wonder its been able to stay charged this long. guess this summer heat has gotten to it? anyway, last time i took it up to O'reilly's, they said they couldnt get it to charge. so i'm sure thats gotta be it. i'd noticed a few days ago it was getting weak. i'll have to go to Sears tomorrow and buy a new one. hopefully it isnt anything to do with the alternator. i have a strong feeling its the old ass battery. if its the alternator, then i guess i'm screwed for a while. if it is, i'll probley snatch one from the junk yard off the new 3gee they just got. probley get it for cheap, like $5 or $10 until i can get a new one. here's the amp i got, not a good pic but an idea of what it looks like. i mounted it on my seaet back with some self tapping screws. they hold really well.
http://www.sounds-plus.com/mas_assets/full/NTX-2007.gif

HondaBoy
05-30-2004, 07:09 PM
well, i found out the alternator is fine. did the old trick of jump starting the car, disconnecting the + battery cable, and waiting for the car to die. it didnt, so that means the alternator is good because its whats powering the electronics. also when i turned the stereo up loud with the car off, it would cut off. when it had the car running, i can turn it loud and it wont cut off. good way to check the alternator i suppose. i'm going in the morning to sears when it opens to buy a new battery. my grandma is paying for it, so i can't complain. gotta go early because there's going to be memorial day sales! good thing i guess because my battery is on sale!

AccordArizona89
05-30-2004, 10:25 PM
that amp is sweet. i need a better one then my little jensen 220 watt to make my 12 hit harder... did u buy that brand new?

AccordEpicenter
05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
just make sure the heatsink is isolated from the screws, because the amps heatsink is not nessescerily ground and you can get all kinds of little funny problems if the screws touch the heatsink... just use rubber spacers or somthing

HondaBoy
05-30-2004, 10:34 PM
no, unfortuately i didnt get it brand new. i looked at an audio store right before i went to buy it. new was going to be about $180, still not bad at all. but $100 for an amp they tested for me wasnt going to be passed up. i did a smell test on it too. i smelled to see if there had previously been something burning. i swear that has worked every time. my friend gave me an amp. he tried everything to get the burnt smell out but couldnt so he didnt pawn it. instead i have it. also he gave me another one. i should get those 2 fixed. i place here fixes em for cheap, although i guess that can depend on what it needs. anyway, that thing makes em hit hard and deep. the one i had on them before was a 100 watt, supposed 50 watts into 2 channels, it was a bit less. im keeping that 100 watt amp. i got it for $30, and its worked great. before today i hadnt heard of this brand.

HondaBoy
05-30-2004, 10:42 PM
ah, i had thought of putting rubber washers or something on the heat sink. i knew of the grounding problem i could get. i will do that tomorrow because i dont wanna short it out first thing. lol. that would suck ass. i have some rubber washers. but still, wont the screws touch the body of the amp? i may use some industrial strength velcro that i have to mount it somewhere else like up under the rear shelf. that stuff works really good if its the strong kind, i used some to hold a base tube down and it never flew around. ah, i'll figure out something, i always do.

Hash_man_Se_i
05-31-2004, 08:11 AM
Just out of curiosity... what kind of subs are you running with that amp?

HondaBoy
05-31-2004, 07:12 PM
they are Boss 12's. not anything fancy. they can take a lot. i had them in my room powered off my old stereo. that blew out many speakers. today i tried powering an 8 in a bass tube. it bassed for almost a minute and i thought it was going to do alright, but it blew out! lol. i took it out right away because burnt speaker smell is hard to get out of the car. i hooked the 12s back up. i dunno, they sound good and i dont turn the amp output all the way up. i know i can easily blow the 12s if im not careful. i think i will get an equalizer. i'll be looking around for one. i hope to find one that will fit nicely where my front seat ash tray is under the stereo. i can always make it fit. my friend thought it sounded pretty good. he used to have a great system but it was stolen when his car was stolen. i wasnt expecting this much bass from this amp. the power is just right for the subs. i dont think it's putting out more than 100 watts to each of 2 channels. just know it sounds good. i'm glad i bought the amp. i was planning on getting one, not this soon but later in the summer. now thats out of the way.