PDA

View Full Version : help, i kinda f'ed up.......

88accordalltheway
05-31-2004, 10:16 AM
ok guys, i was re screwing the wire screen for my air cleaner, and i kinda went too tight and broke the post off. Yea ok, make fun of me later, i already feel it coming, but for right now i need help. I have some jb weld on there right now, do you guys think it will work? what else can i do to fix it besides getting a new carb?

88accordhb
05-31-2004, 10:34 AM
is the airbox holding on there ok? it doesn't need to be that tight...as long as you have an airfilter then you wont have to worry about carb trouble in the future...make sure there aren't any gaps between the underside of the airbox and the carb intake hole...so that no dirt can get in and build up.

88accordalltheway
05-31-2004, 10:38 AM
no, i dont have the civvic air box on their yet, i jsut have the stock one, i over tightened the screw and i broke the post off ont he carb. not fun, im really scared

shepherd79
05-31-2004, 03:25 PM
get vise grips, to go junk yard and unscrew the good one from another car.
put on your car and you will be done.

zero.counter
05-31-2004, 03:28 PM
no, i dont have the civvic air box on their yet, i jsut have the stock one, i over tightened the screw and i broke the post off ont he carb. not fun, im really scared
Don't worry about it, I broke mine off about a week after I got my car back in 96' and it is still running. So fix it or leave it, what have you.

88accordalltheway
05-31-2004, 04:09 PM
shepard, so i can unscrew it?

shepherd79
05-31-2004, 05:15 PM
yes. you can unscrew it. it is like any other bolt.

88accordalltheway
06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
ok, i really really fucked up. i dont have time to tell the whole story, so ill make it short. I was messing with my carb to get rid of a hesitation prob that i had, and a guy named michael cote told me to pull open the choke flap, then look down to see squirts.... so i did that and didnt see any squirts..... blah blah blah.... i was driving my car last night, the throttle was stuck or somthing cause the car was going on its own, and i put it in park, when i did this the rpms went all the way up like i was flooring it, tried to fix it last night, wasnt able to. every time i would turn on my car it would rev all the way....... had it towed to my g/f dads shop today, he was able to fix the reving part by adjusting the carb....... blah blah blah....... my fuckin choke flap is bent its getting fixed tomorow hopefully.
I ahve alot more info im even selling somthing. Ill give a full update later no time.

pixiesfan78
06-01-2004, 07:12 PM
ha yah funny story i drove around for about a year with one of those studs broken off finally i stole a ten mm bolt from somewhere in my engine baythat stayed on for about a year and a half. so finally a get tired of screwing that bolt all the way out. it takes longer the brass nut. so i picked one up at the junk yard you just grip it with some vise grips and twist to get it out. i was happy to get the new one. so i go to install it goes in no prob then i tighten down the other one the original thats been on it since i got the car and the fucker snaps off unfucking believable. yeah real funny those damn honda gods are really screwing with me now.anywyas be sure to get one that matches your year model they very from 86-87to 88-89 model the 88 has a thicker seat on it it will cause an 87 mesh grill to not seat properlly. hope that helps.

88accordalltheway
06-03-2004, 04:27 PM
alright full story....here it goes. Alright i went to the junkyard about 2 weeks ago, and i got the civic air box to start my short ram intake. Getting this made me all excited, so i started to mess with my carb, usually taking the air filter box off to see what i have to mod to make the air box work. I have also had a really bad hesitation prob, so i though it would be a good time to try to fix it as well. Being an arrogant smart ass that thinks he knows what hes doing, i kept messing with the carb. I didnt touch any adjustment screws, all i messed with was the choke flap. All i did was held it open as my dad steped on the gas, so i could check for squirts of gas(did this because this is what i was told to look for if i had a hesitation prob). Bad idea. Well, we put the car back together, and i turned it on to test it. It was ideling kinda wierd, like it was misfiring. I didnt think anything of it. The next day i was home alone so i though id try working on it. I took the lid off the air filter, took the air filter out, and the wire screen off. I started to mess with the flap again, and i looked down the hole, looking down there expecting to find somthing that i dont know what im looking for. After about 5 minnutes, i gave up and started to put the car back together. My friend called me so i was on the phone while i was putting it back together, this is how i broke the post that holds the screen down, by over tightening it, i wasnt paying attention. So first i try to jb weld the little piece back on. It didnt work. So i tried drilling a little hole where the piece was broken off and on the little piece, stuck a cut nail in the holds, and then try jb weld on that. still didnt work. So by then i said f it, and put it back together without the bolt. Later, it was night and i was pulling out of my driveway, i drive down my street, the idle was still messed up, but thats didnt really bother me. I was driving normal down my street, take my foot off the gas, and the car actedlike i never took my foot off the gas, and it goes faster. I was like, wtf. so i pulled over, and i put it in park. It started reving really high, so i kicked it down (normally kick it down when it starts because it starts to idle high after about 15 seconds) and it goes down. I start to drive back onto the street. I take my foot off the gas, and again it starts going faster by itself. I pull over again, and i have to have my foot really hard on the brake cause it wanted to go. I didnt know what to do, so i panicked and i threw it in neurtal. BAD IDEA. It reved to about 7k, so i panicked again, and not really thinking, i threw it into drive, another bad idea. Did a burn out, and now im worried about my tranny. after i did the burn out, i threw it into park. It reved to about 5 or 6k and then i just turned it off. I had the damn key out and the engine was still running, chugging barly. It dieed within 20 seconds. I was across the street from my friend's gated community, which is where i was going. we rolled my car into his community and we poped the hood, and i made the carb air box unbolted and loose, but not out. I jiggled the throttle cable, cause at that time i though i had a stuck throttle. I put everything back together. I got and start the car, it reved immediatly. I turned it off, rolled it back to a parking spot and left it there over night until then next day when i had AAA tow it to my gf's dads shop.
I went with my mom to the shop as we followed the tow-truck. When we got there, He immediatly started to work on it. He first turned it on, and it reved like b4. He poped the hood, and took the air filter off, and started to adjust the carb. Within 10 minnutes, he had the idle where it was suppost to be. He put everything back toggether, and took ot for a test drive, it ran ok, just like it did before(with the hesitation prob and everything). he pulled ot over as if to park it to get ready to let me take it home, and he goes to turn it off. It was off and it was still chugging. So he kept it over night and called my mom later the next day. He told her that the choke flap rod was bent, so we needed to do sothing else to fix it other that jsut a few adjustments.
Hes had the car since monday afternoon(3 days ago). The carb was in such bad shape that he had it rebuilt. I dont know how i could have messed it up that bad if all i did was touch the choke flap, im thinking that there were more probs that i didnt know about. Dosent matter now, cause my car is going to be fixed.
I have the civic air box that i bought for my short ram intake and im going to be selling it because i dont trust myself touching the engine anymore. If i do any mods, it going to be done by a professional, not me who knows nothing about these engines. PM me if you want it, i paid 40 for the box and the tube at a pick n pull. I want to get what i paid for it if possible. Maybe even trade somthing. PM me. Also, im going to be selling my minibike cause i need money to pay my mom back for this rebuilding my carb, you can find it on my cardmain site thats in my sig.

A little advice to anyone; if your going to fuck with your car, especially anything under the hood, make sure you know what your doing or have someone that know what their doing there to help. You maybe harming somthing that you dont know about.
Dont fuck with anything your clueless about. Youll be paying for it later. I learned the hard way.
thanks guys

A20A1
06-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah you could have had a choke problem... but also if there was a vacuum leak to the throttle controller it can cause the car to rev out of control too.
I assume when you took off the air cleaner you disconnected some of the hoses that were on it... 2 of those hoses go to manifold vacuum and could have cause leaks if they were not sealed right... normally a vacuum leak will be bad after the car has warmed up... since when cold the choke is closed restricting the air pulled in even with added throttle from the trottle controller.

The choke is a touchy b!tch especially after 16 years or so.
Holding the choke open and looking down the barrel should not cause problems... the choke should give you little resistance, what did you use to hold it open? It really shouldn't be able to bend the rod if you used your finger... seems a bit fishy.

You could also have had a internal vacuum leak in the carb or a sticky throttle plate or linkage.

88accordalltheway
06-04-2004, 04:21 PM
i used my finger...........

A20A1
06-04-2004, 09:23 PM
do you trust the mechanic... I hope he's telling the truth about the choke.

Michael Cote
06-05-2004, 03:51 AM
Hey K, Sounds like you left one of the vacuum lines off. That'll make em rev up quite high or perhaps you hooked your throttle cable on something and that kept it pulling tight. The reason it kept running and chugging after shutting it off was it was running-on because of the fast idle and drawing fuel in. You can't bend the choke mechanism with your fingers. As for the transmission, you didn't do it any good but if you went from park to drive at high RPM then it's probably OK. If you went from park to rev and/or rev to drive at that RPM you can mess things up. Anyway a rebuild will fix your accelerator pump problems if that was the original proplem. Hope it's not too expensive. TTYL

88accordalltheway
06-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Yea, it was 155 for my carb to be rebuilt. Not that bad really. And yes i do trust the mechanic because hes my gfs dad. He didnt even charge me any labor, he charged for the rebuild parts. The shop hes working in is the ones hes had for 20 years. freakin crazy, hes been working on cars before i was even born or though of for that matter.

Michael Cote
06-12-2004, 04:38 AM
Glad to hear your rebuild wasn't too expensive and it's good to have a reliable honest mechanic in the family. Better hang on to that girlfriend...grin. A little lesson learned is not to overtighten things too much. Some nuts/bolts are meant to be tight and some just snug. Depends what your holding down. As for your intake plans etc. I'd rethink that. If you don't connect or plug the appropiate vacuum lines your RPM will go strange on you. I would suggest you just get a flat piece of aluminum or something and replace the air cleaner lid with it so you have some air space yet filtered air getting in carb. Simular to flipping the stock air cleaner lid but it won't contact the hood. You'll get that honking intake air howl but it won't mess up your vacuum lines because you don't have to touch them. I had one on mine but it makes mine run a little lean (sluggish because of too much air) at low RPM's but pulls stronger and sounds better when I got er to the mats. Now I just leave it stock. It still gets lots of outside air and works better at normal driving. Anyway take care. Don't go too crazy with mods. Remember the Honda engineers did most of the hard work already when they designed the 3geez. Find that happy medium between tweeking/personalizing it a little so you don't do something you regret later and not putting yourself in the poorhouse in doing so. TTYL, Mike

geofstan
06-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I had a similar problem with the car revving high all I had to to do was adjust the bimetalic spring on the side of the carb, someone could of already suggested this I've not read all the stories. Or even someone adjust the idle with the throttle cable not the idle screw....just a thought.