PDA

View Full Version : ? about air conditioning?

88fasthatch
05-31-2004, 04:54 PM
I have tried the search button and did not find what i wanted. So here is my qeustion. How do I tell if my car been switched over from R-12 to 134A? any suggesttins would be a blessing, Thanks!

Vinny
05-31-2004, 05:00 PM
best bet is to look at the hi and low side charging/testing valves. If they tave a quick disconnect type fitting then more than likely its set up for 134a. The r12 stly fittings just screw on. 134A use an adapter. The High side is on a solid line along the passenger side inner frnder by the fuse box. the low side is on the large rbber line that goes from by the battery tray to the compressor

Mac
05-31-2004, 05:04 PM
If it was done by a mechanic there should be a label stating that it has been converted. Another way to tell is the charging valves are different from R 12. Usually an adapter is just screwed in to the existing charge valve.

grsmnky33
05-31-2004, 08:40 PM
check the valves on the A/C lines....... if the look like the valve stems on your wheels(the threaded part), then you have R-12........ if the are no threads(looks like something should clip on to it), then you have R-134A.

od2681
05-31-2004, 08:57 PM
ima throw in a questoin....my compressor doesnt work, so if i buy a new one do i have to go through convering anything....like the freon gas or somethin..really confused over this stuff

Blue Impact
05-31-2004, 11:00 PM
88 - if you're talking about your 3G then it should be R12 if it's still stock, but it can be changed to R134A.

od - though I didn't do it with the 3G, I did with the G2. After you take the compressor off, the freon will leak out and so you might as well let it all leak out. Then after you put the compressor back in and everything hook up, you can recharge it. If you're still using R12, now's a good time to switch to R134A. Good luck. :D

REMEMBER, DON'T MIX R12 AND R134A CUZ IT'LL MESS UP YOUR AC SYSTEM!!

Vinny
06-01-2004, 04:33 AM
ima throw in a questoin....my compressor doesnt work, so if i buy a new one do i have to go through convering anything....like the freon gas or somethin..really confused over this stuff

That will be up to you. If you want to pay like 60 bucks a lb for 1.88 lbs of r-12 thats gonna be your choice. Its cheaper to convert to r124a but it doesn't get nearly as cold as r12 will

od2681
06-01-2004, 08:25 AM
i mean i dont even know what freon i had in there...cuzz when i bought it the compressor wasnt workin....so ive been drivin for two years in houston heat

Vinny
06-01-2004, 08:34 AM
well if it was professionally done it should have a retrifit sticker and the hi and low service valves will have an adapter on them. If you don't then its still running on 12. I'd take it in and have it checked to see if theres any in the system. its too expensive to waste if it has 12 in it. If you need to know what compressor you have I posted pics of the 3 different types of compressors in another thread. I hate no AC in san antonio, that sucked