PDA

View Full Version : Transmission stumbles

accordlx
06-01-2004, 06:06 PM
I seem to have developed a problem in my auto tranny. When you accelerate from a complete stop, the transmission seems to studder or stumble like something is slipping. This only happens occasionally. I took the front end of the car apart yesterday and the brakes are not seizing. Also the tranny fluid is at spec. After the car is put back into neutral and then back again into drive, it seems to work fine. Also, when you turn the car full lock at a slow speed, it seems to have the same problem. Again, this is only occasionally. There are absolutely no symptoms after the car passes like 5 mph. The car has sat for a while though without being driven. It worked fine when it was put up. If someone has a clue as to what is happening, please feel free to throw in a suggestion.

Thanks,

Chris.

PS. It also happens when you start from a stop in 2nd gear. It never happens n reverse.

momo8517
06-01-2004, 06:25 PM
OK...the first part kinda sounded like old automatic transmission. My mom's van does the stuttering between 1st and 2nd gears. The part with the full lock steering producing the same symptom bugs me... How sure are you that it's the tranny slipping and not the engine hesitating? If it's the latter, you may have a power steering pump or alternator on it's way out. Does it make any funny creaking / squealing noises when you crank the wheel over? I would have the alternator / ignition system checked, and well as keep an eye on the P/S fluid. If the P/S is leaking from the seals. you can get some great stuff to fix that -- it's called Lucas Stop-leak for Power Steering. I was skeptical of this since Hondas require special fluid for the P/S, but it worked wonders on the leaking rack that was gonna cost me 700 dollars to fix.
SO, things to check:
Power Steering fluid level, as well as seals and hoses if it's low.
Ignition and alternator, just because parts of this system can do all sorts of wierd stuff on their way out.
Tranny, if everything else looks ok (this will not be easy, so look at the easy stuff first)

HostileJava
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
You sure it's the tranny? May just need to replace your fuel filters if the car has been sitting for a while.

accordlx
06-02-2004, 12:49 AM
The filters are fine. There is no loss of power from the engine. In fact, it doesnt miss a beat. Both filters were changed b4 the car was put up. Also, the power steering does not leak.

accordlx
06-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Bump >> Still looking for help on this topic. Thanks.

SiR
06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
It might be the tranny linkage cable, since you mention it going to N then back to D4 and works fine from there.

Im gonna guess that your idle is in spec too.

accordlx
06-04-2004, 03:48 PM
The idle speed is in spec also. The more and more I think about it, I may be guessing that it might have something to do the valve body sticking or something. Anyone have any experience with this?