PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fuel pump?

MiGeY
07-18-2002, 07:24 AM
I think I may have a bad fuel pump. I will explain what happened to me this morning.

Ok so I'm driving to work and about half way to work(15-20min) I stall at a red light. I think nothing of it because it has happened before, I start the car up like nothing and keep going. Next red light same thing happens, now this is getting wierd. I start it up again and go. A little ways down my car is idling EXTREAMLY low and I have to keep my foot on the gas peatle to keep it running. It seemed to get worse as I went on. I decide to go to the gas station and fill up with gas just in case(guage said 1/4 gas). Oh yes it seemed to idle fine while it was in park, anything else would idle too low. Ok so I fill up with gas and imediatly after it is a little better but not much. I wait a few minutes and it seemed to be ok. I drove to work fine but there is oviously something wrong.

Anyone run into this before?
Sorry about the long post...

OldSchoolSwap
07-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Replace your fuel filters first (fuel injection 1 filter. Carb 2 filters) about . Also adjust your idle screw.

MiGeY
07-18-2002, 09:45 AM
Thanx Oldschoolswap.

I just changed my fuel filter when I bought the car(1 month ago). Maybe its a bad filter....

I dont think the idle screw will help cuz it works just fine almost all the time...

My dad and I are going to do a compression test on the pump to see if its that...

We shall see

OldSchoolSwap
07-18-2002, 09:53 AM
Pour some fuel injector cleaner. If you still have problems then check your plugs and wires, it could be lack of ignition too.

MiGeY
07-18-2002, 10:14 AM
I have done all that :(

I put injector cleaner when I got the car. I got new platinum spark plugs when I got the car. I changed the wires 2 days ago, along with the distributor cap(because a wire was corroded inside).

Thanx again though :)

offthahook
07-18-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by MiGeY
I have done all that :(

I put injector cleaner when I got the car. I got new platinum spark plugs when I got the car. I changed the wires 2 days ago, along with the distributor cap(because a wire was corroded inside).

Thanx again though :)

Damn noob knows his shit...:D

ACCORD EX
07-19-2002, 02:36 AM
BTW fuel filter ain't something you change by time or milage !! you can buy a filter today and it's clogged the next day !

MIKE

1988starter
07-19-2002, 06:33 AM
have you checked your coil get a volt meter and check the resistances.

MiGeY
07-19-2002, 07:18 AM
Thanx for the info again. I will check my Coil and Fuel Filter when I get home.

Ok an update and more info on the problem.

So it happened yesterday and this morning again :(
But I did notice something those two times. This may help figure out what it is.

Ok so like I said the car is fine for about 15 min. When it started to creep up on me I noticed that when I pressed on the gas the RPMs shot down quickly(not by a lot to start) then the RPMs would go up. So RPMs would go down before going up when I gave it gas.

Very soon after this started happening it went into what I was getting yestday. I CAN NOT stay in drive while stopped or near stopping. It will stall on me very quickly. I did get a way around it though. When I was coming to a red light or something I would just pop it into Neutral and then pop it into drive when I had to go(I had to do it fast or it would stall).

Now another thing I noticed is that after staying parked somewhere in Park(oviously) for a little while, the car would be fine for a bit.

As well, while in park and I press on the gas the RPMs will fall a bit then go up...

Help please.

Thanx guys

MiGeY
07-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by offthahook

Damn noob knows his shit...:D

Hehe, my dad is a mechanic. I dont know much but he knows lots. We are going to look at my car tonight but I just want to narrow down the possibilities. I was also hopping that someone has had a similar problem, that way I know exactly what they had to fix.

accordexi87
07-19-2002, 09:15 AM
hey old school swap ..

how much did you pay for your DTMs?

OldSchoolSwap
07-19-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by accordexi87
hey old school swap ..

how much did you pay for your DTMs?

Do you mean the rims? Those were sold a long time ago. But I got them for about $1000 back in the days. As you can see in the sig pic, I have the Sokudo ADR rims now.

MiGeY,
Try to get a fuel gauge and attach it to the fuel line, make sure the psi is up to specs, I could possibly be your fuel pump. Check all your fuses as well and make sure that the correct fuses are in each slot.

Make sure all vacume hoses are nice and snug and none of them are loose.

MiGeY
07-19-2002, 04:41 PM
thanx bud :D
I will try all that.

DanG86LX
07-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Mine is doing exactly the same, although mine is carb. The only difference is that I get it at 1..2 weeks intervals. I'm fighting this for the past 4 months. I changed all electrical stuff (except pickup coil inside distributor) and the fuel pump. It must be something common to both FI and carb engines. Let keep posting...

DanG

OldSchoolSwap
07-22-2002, 04:19 PM
BTW, have you checked for engine codes in the cpu?

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-22-2002, 05:09 PM
It could be possible that your EGR valve or system is messing up. The shop manual symptom to system chart for frequent stalling after warming up says to check the egr control system. Might be worth a look! If you check your ecu for trouble codes and you get #12 then you've found your problem.