PDA

View Full Version : How to uncrew the exhaust pipe nuts.

Neoniu
06-03-2004, 01:14 PM
I am trying to uncrew those nuts to change the flang but it is too tight and it is also very hard to reach those three damn nuts.

I think I blew the head gasket and it is smoking white right now. So I tried to change the whole set.

Also I tried to change the volve cover gasket but it is so tightly sealed that i could not take it off? How could you guy do it?Do I need special tools?

I just want to get rid of it.

88accordhb
06-03-2004, 01:55 PM
wat part of the exhaust are you talkin bout, use wd44, a breaker bar and alot of force. i have a really long ratchet soo it allowed for me to get it deep in there.

smufguy
06-04-2004, 05:34 AM
these are the tools essential and a must for a do-it-your-selfer.

1/2" drive 18" breaker bar - on sale for $10 at autozone
deep socket set - 6 sided, not the multiple one
Pipe wrench - of different sizes - bout 10 15 bux for a set of three from homedepot

Spray some pb blaster, liquid wrench, WD 40 or what not on the bolts, let em soak for about 5 to 10 mts, use a hammer on the side to get the bolts kinda loosen up, and then use the breaker bar and unbolt it, 100% of the time a badly rusted bolt will just snap off at the end.

Volitech
06-04-2004, 05:45 AM
If you need any help let me know I'd be happy to help!

Neoniu
06-04-2004, 06:55 AM
If you need any help let me know I'd be happy to help!
Hi guys thanks a lot. I think I need break bar.
I will try to change it next week.

Hi Volitech: I appreciate that you would help me. I only have time on weekdays. When are you free? My email address is [email protected].

IN_ONE_ACCORD
06-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Try liquid wrench, a penetrant like WD40 only better. Also, get a 5 lb. sledgehammer and use it to hit the breaker bar or ratchet handle. That always works for me.

88accordhb
06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Try liquid wrench, a penetrant like WD40 only better. Also, get a 5 lb. sledgehammer and use it to hit the breaker bar or ratchet handle. That always works for me.
lol you savage!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Also I tried to change the volve cover gasket but it is so tightly sealed that i could not take it off? How could you guy do it?Do I need special tools?

I just want to get rid of it.

To remove the valve cover, remove all the crown nuts. Then, take out the oil filler cap and stick two fingers into the opening. Pull up and the valve cover should come right off. It may be a good idea to hit it with a rubber mallet (not too hard!).

smufguy
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
or better yet, stick a flat head screw driver just below the valve cover and the head and push it free. u dont have to worry about damagining the head cause its not gonna. ;)

od2681
06-07-2004, 07:39 PM
lefty loosy...righty tighty

88accordhb
06-07-2004, 08:05 PM
du ma!

Neoniu
08-06-2004, 11:12 AM
The air suction tube nut is too tight to unscrew. what can i do? I want to change the head gasket set but I stop right on that nut. :help:
I need help.

Neo

jagojon3
08-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Alllriiiiight more Madison posse! I use PB Blaster religiously, I have found that it works better than WD-40. Get yerself a can of that and thank me later. Seriously though, a good ol' can of PB and a breaker bar work wonders.

AC439
08-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I screwed up every bolt I tried to loosen in the exhaust system. I tried everything that everybody has suggested and nothing worked for me. The single most effective tools is an impact wrench. I got one from Walmart on sale for $15 and this has helped me many times to loosen bolts that seem to be unable in the past. The one I have is a 12v impact wrench (originally designed to loosen the nuts on the wheels). I plug it to the 12v lighter socker and it works like a champ. I bought it couple of years ago and have not seen another one from Walmart. But I think you will find some of those on Ebay.

smufguy
08-06-2004, 10:36 PM
u need a 18" pipe wrench. And u need to get the radiator out before u do this for more leverage. Try unbolting it, if it does not budge, try to tighten it and the nut will break loose and then loosen it. Carotman and myself got that thing out in this manner. but the only thing is, we both used pipe wrenches, they are not that expensive so get urself one from homedepot or walmart.