PDA

View Full Version : Drive Light not working in gauge cluster...

snapper
07-18-2002, 09:36 AM
My light on D (Drive) stopped functioning. I opened up the gauge cluster and looked at the bulb and it was fine. I even replaced the whole piece (You know P, N, D, D1, D2). It still doesn't work. All the other lights work so I know that entire thing can't be bad. After switching the entire unit I figured it would fix it.

The only thing I can say I did right around the time it broke was clean around the shifter. I have an automatic and I was cleaning the gunk on the little black piece that the shifter goes into. Is there a sensor in there that tells the gauge to light up that I could have broke?

Any clues?

Thanks
Shawn

offthahook
07-18-2002, 03:19 PM
I have the same problem and I think a lot of AT owners do, too. MIne works fine sometimes and other times I can't even get it turn on if I wiggle the shifter in D4. It prolly is the bulb because think about how much time that light spends on vs. the other bulbs. Can you switch the reverse or neutral bulb and insert it in D4??? That would tell you about the bulb and the socket. If there the same bulb, give it a shot. Let us know cuz I think that is a VERY common prob. and it drives me batty sometimes.

snapper
07-18-2002, 07:07 PM
I tried switching the entire unit with another one I had. It still didn't work. That's a good idea about moving that bulb to another spot though. I never think of the obvious. I have a feeling it may be a loose wire somewhere since I recently replaced my entire dashboard and wire harness. I'll play around with it some more this weekend and let you know what I find out.

89accordlxi
07-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Yeah, It is definitely not a bulb problem. I'm pretty sure it is electrical prob or connection prob. I had the same prob a while back. The D4 wouldn't light up on the dash cluster and the lights on the shifter wouldn't work either. If I tapped on the console around the shifter then the lights around the shifter would come back on. Somehow, the shifter light problem fixed it self. I must have knocked something back into its place. About the D4 on the dash cluster... It happened when I took out the cluster to put on my homemade white guages. So I figured it had to be the plug in the back of the cluster. I would take it out, mess with the plug and then it would work. Then I would put it back in the dash and it wouldn't work again. So after many tries, I must have finally got it in the right spot because it has worked fine ever since.
I don't know if this was any help or if it is pure coincidense but I must have done something to get it to work, But I did not have to replace any bulbs. Just check wiring and connections i think thats your best bet.

peace and Good luck...

offthahook
07-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by snapper
I tried switching the entire unit with another one I had. It still didn't work. That's a good idea about moving that bulb to another spot though. I never think of the obvious. I have a feeling it may be a loose wire somewhere since I recently replaced my entire dashboard and wire harness. I'll play around with it some more this weekend and let you know what I find out.

It's possible the new cluster had a burned out D4 bulb, too. I don't know if I've ever seen one that worked in D4 all the time. Try wiggling it, too. :D

snapper
07-31-2002, 07:45 AM
I figured out why the D4 light wouldn't come on. It wasn't the bulb. When I was cleaning the little black strip I must have shorted out the shift lever position indicator. I have to get another one to make sure, but I did the troubleshooting procedure out of the shop manual and it looks to be bad. I just figured I'd let you guys know.