PDA

View Full Version : G3 Autosport hood

HondaBoy
06-05-2004, 11:52 PM
ok, so if you've seen my hood on my 3gee, you might notice it's dented in a place that cant be bumped out. i cant find any hoods at the junk yards that dont have something wrong with them. but then, why would i want an original hood. i see they have the hood for the 3gee on ebay for $269.99, thats carbon fiber. i looked at an oem hood. it comes primered, but that still means i'll have to spend a few hundred on paint. so pricewise, thats not practical if i can get this cf hood for a bit less. might as well right? so its the summer, good time to make some money and save some for the 3gee. i dunno, i want my 3gee to look a bit better, the front's looks are messed up by the dent on the hood. i think i wanna save up for the cf hood. easy way to lighten up the car i guess. i saw paul has one. i know theres a few of y'all with em. is this the same supplier y'all bought from, G3 autosport? was it legit or did they mess around? i'd like to have it by july. how long did it take to ship? i dunno if it'll look good with the gold paint, but i think i can pull it off.

MoonScryer
06-06-2004, 06:37 AM
princeofauction on Ebay is the guy who makes them - others are selling the same hood. $400 for once isn't too bad b/c it includes shipping.

As to the quality of the hood, hmmm. It is ok. It bows up in the center some, and I get the flapping effect at highspeed if the hood isn't bolted down properly, but for looks it does well. You will probably want to get hoodpins for it, if you do nothing else. Some have gotten them to work fine w/o hoodpins, but I prefer them.

HondaBoy
06-06-2004, 09:50 AM
do you have an idea on how much it weighs? also would you happen to know how much shipping is on it? i dont know how much longer they will be producing these cf hoods, so i wanted to get one before they quit making them if they do stop. as for hood pins, the auction says they send you some for free, those may actually be a good thing to have. i'd rather not have hood pins though, i personally dont like how they look. i'd settle for them though if i was having flapping of the hood.

crwa
06-06-2004, 05:50 PM
I bought one of the cf hoods from ebay and it took about a month to get because they had to make it and then inspect it... It fits nicely and looks good, but I couldn't get mine to latch with the stock latch so I pulled the latch off and used hood pins, I didn't use the ones that came with the hood because I don't trust 3A racing that much (thats the brand they are) so I used my Sparco pins... If you get one you'll be happy with it, but i don't know how good cf will go with gold though... My shipping was $139.99, so the total was $400...

HondaBoy
06-06-2004, 08:55 PM
well, it would kinda go with my car's colors. i got the red and black interior with gold primary body color with the black trim and red accents. like i said, i think i can pull it off, i dunno. i dont remember, but can they put red kevlar in the weave? i was thinking they can, i should check into that. i believe it this is the one that has the option of that, it costs a little extra. i'd be willing to pay for that though. anyone else have anything to say about these hoods? i'd like to see y'alls opinions on this.

Mattphi
06-06-2004, 09:10 PM
crwa lets see some pictures...i was lookin at the hood from that guy...is it full carbon fiber or just a CF layover?

HondaBoy
06-06-2004, 09:49 PM
i believe its a fiber glass skeleton, with the top carbon fiber. not a layover of an original hood, if thats what your wondering.

heres some pix of what they will make
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/op/optionoperator/.mids/Accord8689fvcopy.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/op/optionoperator/.mids/Accord8689frvcopy.jpg

Project-LXi
06-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I have a G3 Autosport CF hood, and have had the same problems with the bowing. When I first got it mounted it had a ridiculous gap! as much as 1" in the center!! To fix this problem, I removed the latch and filed the adjustment holes on it to their max, now I have far less gap, but its still noticable. One reason these hoods have this problem is because the latch on the hood is not made to spec, it is too tall.

Overall however, I am satisfied with the hood, as it is significantly lighter than stock, plus it looks really cool. I will have to get some pix of my car once it is done, which will be soon! I was delayed for a while on the swap, mostly because I quit my job that was the source of funding for the project in favor of a less stressful one.

Drifting off topic a little, I just finished building the motor and tranny. Place Racing sent me the wrong mounts, so it will be a week or 2 before the b18 can go in, which really sucks becuz I am w/o a car! Anyway for anyone who saw the last pix of my car, it looks very different than it used to. When its done I'll post some pix.

Mattphi
06-07-2004, 04:45 AM
hondaboy all i see are x's

HondaBoy
06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
all i see is 2 pix of the same hood. lol. since you cant see it, go here to the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481099472&category=33646

Mattphi
06-07-2004, 09:16 AM
lol thanks