PDA

View Full Version : Stripped wheel stud

89cordlx
06-06-2004, 06:40 AM
ok, I somehow managed to strip a wheel stud. it's the very beginning of it and I can't get a regular lug nut on it now, and the lock will only go on partially now. I looked in my haynes manual to see if I could find anything about replacing a wheel stud and couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-06-2004, 06:51 AM
Most shops would charge you at least $60 to replace it. If you want to do it yourself, you will need to loosen/remove the axle nut and then disengage the top ball joint. This will allow you to move the hub/knuckle outward enough to remove the old stud. The studs are pressed in, so you'll need a hammer to bang it out. When installing the new stud, you will need some washers and a nut. Put the washers on the stud, followed by the nut. Tighten the nut until the stud is fully pressed in. After this, reassemble the suspension and tighten the axle nut to the specified torque.

P.S.: A shop charged me about $100 to replace a snapped wheel stud. I have heard of other places doing it cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
06-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I had the same problem but I couldn't get the damned supension apart to replace the studs (I broke three), I used a pickle fork and everything. I just cut a shallow channel in the hub, bent the dust shield back and pounded the broken studs back through the holes and then reversed the process to replace them, bent the dust shield back and threw the wheel back on.

If you take your suspension apart you should probably get your alignment checked anyways, you should just take it to an alignment shop and get it done.

Neuspeed87lx
06-08-2004, 07:06 PM
hundered bucks ?! wow that isnt cheap... 89cordlx.... do it yourself its not hard....

88accordalltheway
06-08-2004, 07:19 PM
why dont you try fixing the stripped part with a screw driver or somthing? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

89cordlx
06-08-2004, 10:19 PM
I would be more into doing it myself if I could see it in a manual.

Andrew
06-08-2004, 10:37 PM
I would be more into doing it myself if I could see it in a manual.

It' s expensive because you have to take most of the frickin suspension apart to do it, the stud itself is worth about 99 cents. It's a real pain in the as$$!

tozza6
06-09-2004, 12:20 AM
i just had a new set of tires put on and tried to pull a wheel off a month later and one of the nuts were stuck on the stud. I took it back to the place i got the tires from and they snapped the stud off while trying to get the nut off. im driving with 3 studs and nuts till they get a replacement stud for me. Im not happy.

blazin3gen
06-09-2004, 12:35 AM
edit :D

BlueBead
06-09-2004, 01:10 AM
man, if its just on the end you can try using a file or grinding disc to shape the thread (rechamfer) This will allow it to get started and after that should go on fine. If its stripped too far in you better go get a new one and fixit the hard way. Threads only need 2-3 revs to reach max holding power, but remember that those are completely meshing full threads, not the tapered part at the ends of the bolt or lug. Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

89cordlx
06-09-2004, 09:23 AM
good idea BlueBead. aren't there rethreading kits somewhere?

BlueBead
06-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Actually, If you want to rethread it, you want a tap and die set, in metric (its the die you'd use, but they generally come in sized sets w/ both). Just use the rigth size and make sure you're in the old grooves so you can use the existing threads. If you don't you'll end up with what is called cross-threading, which sucks ass. If this is going to be under much stress (less than 3 full threads of the original thread), I'd highly recommend just putting in a new stud.
I know that Wlamart here carries a cheap Tap& Die set, but I'm not sure if they have it in metric.
Hope this is still useful!

Mattphi
06-19-2004, 08:19 PM
yeup....its a pain in the ass to replace yourself...Tire Kingdom said they wanted $60 Per...i went to Autozone and paid $1.60 each and BOOM...done...but yea installation is a bitch

ag bullet
06-25-2004, 03:28 PM
yeup....its a pain in the ass to replace yourself...Tire Kingdom said they wanted $60 Per...i went to Autozone and paid $1.60 each and BOOM...done...but yea installation is a bitch

There are kits you can buy to chase out the threads. We use them at work when we mess one up. If it isn't too bad you can get a new lug and some Ez Break compound (just a little on the stud) and try to thread the new lug on nice and straight. Other than that find a shop or DIY.

nswst8
06-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Tap it out, pull it through 9 times out of ten you don't have to remove the hub. Just remember to not beat the stud, the reason they like to press these in and out is you can bend the hub if you go crazy with the sledge.
My air impact hammer does great.
But this can be done as described.
Phil :cheers:

89cordlx
06-26-2004, 07:58 AM
There are kits you can buy to chase out the threads. We use them at work when we mess one up. If it isn't too bad you can get a new lug and some Ez Break compound (just a little on the stud) and try to thread the new lug on nice and straight. Other than that find a shop or DIY.
Any clue on what a kit like that is called? I don't want to replace the stud because it's only the very beginning. I am tempted to cut off the end, but then it will be shorter and that could be bad.

ag bullet
06-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Any clue on what a kit like that is called? I don't want to replace the stud because it's only the very beginning. I am tempted to cut off the end, but then it will be shorter and that could be bad.

The kits we use are similar to this one (Some are under the brand name Sav-A-Stud):

http://www.handsontools.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_2/6989_9259_full.jpg

http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=6989

They are pricey but nice to have on hand when needed.