PDA

View Full Version : Snapped rear strut lower mounting bolt!

thegreatdane
06-06-2004, 07:12 AM
I used my air wrench to loosen the bolt but it's stuck inside the bushing so It just snapped the head off the bolt... Dammit... :mad: I need to get the bolt out so I can install my new struts. Anyone tried the same?

shepherd79
06-06-2004, 07:24 AM
it is very common problem with our cars. i had the same problem.
you can cut the bolt out as long as you going to replace the strut.

thegreatdane
06-06-2004, 08:37 AM
I removed the nut welded to the strut and I got the strut removed. But the bolt is still stuck inside the bushing. It sticks out enough on the side with thread on it to get a nut on it, but the thread in the nut just gets destroyed when you try pulling it out by tightening the nut against the bushing. I tried pressing it out with a puller but nothing.

shepherd79
06-06-2004, 09:08 AM
well, spray some rust penetrating oil. let is sit and try to hammer it out.
just be careful don't push the bushing out.

HondaBoy
06-06-2004, 10:57 AM
would drilling it out be a good thing? i've broken scres and stuff like that on my engine that i just drilled out. gotta be pretty careful.

Moodybluesr
06-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Cut it out with a close-quarters hacksaw. I am in the middle of swapping my rear suspension right now and the same thing happened to me. The cam bolt for the front control arm is also frozen inside of the bushing, which is giving me a little more trouble...

thegreatdane
06-06-2004, 01:30 PM
I've removed both hubs now and I'll get 2 new bushings pressed in instead. Those bolts are some stubbern POS. I'm installing Koni struts and 40mm lowering springs. It was just supposed to be a 2 hour job for the rear.. boy was I wrong..

thegreatdane
06-07-2004, 08:34 AM
So... I got those sons a bitches replaced with new bushings. So small and yet cause so much trouble :D