PDA

View Full Version : please help brake light problem

pixiesfan78
06-06-2004, 04:18 PM
ok ive been bitching to 3 geez members about my brake lamp sensor on the dash for a while now. after replacing the brake lamp sensors and switch and bulbs.and also cleaning all sockets it was still on. so while messing with the sockets i noticed water in the right taillamp so i took it all apart once again and lit the bulbs up while they were out of the lenses only to find out that the center bulbs wich light the upper lense and have a grey socket (the other two are black) do not work. so i got out my test light and checked all the pins on the main harness sure enough there is no power getting to the center bulbs.wtf is that all about? do have a short or can anyone possibly understand this? how can i have powr to the 4 bulbs that are lighting the bottom lenses but none to the two grey socket ones? im sure this is why the brake lamp warning light is on as ive eliminated everything else.and on an unimportant note i had planned on putting one of those circle led bulbs in the third brake light on the rear dash. for some reason the led will not work in the socket its a 1156 replacement bulb wich is whats in there now. a regular 1156 bulb works fine. i also hooked the led straght to battery in case it was bad and it lit right up. explain that one. :dunno:

IN_ONE_ACCORD
06-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Could be something as simple as low fluid. Mine showed brake lamp on dash when I was leaking brake fluid out of front caliper. I rebuilt caliper, topped off fluid and no more prolems. Check fuses too. If that's not it, you may have a short in a wire. Real pita to find. Good luck.

pixiesfan78
06-07-2004, 09:49 AM
thanks in one accord but of course im smart enough to check fluid.there are no leaks in system the light has been on for three years since i bought the car.i know why its on its because the two grey socket bulbs in the center of lenses do not work as i stated in the thread.does anyone have a clue why those wouldnt work but all others do?if its a short does anyone know how to trace it?

momo8517
06-07-2004, 01:41 PM
The 'brake light' indicator has nothing to do with the mechanics of the brake system. I PROMISE. I would suggest you find those wires with the grey sockets, and follow them. See if they connect back to the ECU, or if they are broken or shorted. My guess is that you'll find a break, just because you would be blowing fuses if you had a short. The only way to find a short is to tear into the wiring.

pixiesfan78
06-07-2004, 04:21 PM
thanks momo i geuss thats gonna require pulling the seats carpet and maybe some intierior panels thats realy lame ive already taken out the trunk panels to do sound deadning and custom fiberglass amp mounts where those two little cubby holes on the trunk trim are at. there will be an amp on each side mounted horrizontally.not that has an thing to do with this thread.i sieriously doubt the break light wires lead to the ecu its a carbed lx most people just rip the ecu out.does any body know where the brake light wires lead to is it straght to the engine harness under the dash?this is very lame im considering just splicing the positive wire of the sockets that dont work in with the ones that do.any body know a reeason why thats a bad idea?thanks.

IN_ONE_ACCORD
06-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Like I said, finding a short/wire problem is a real PITA (pain in the ass).
Get a wiring schematic to help eliminate some of the harnesses you don't need to worry about. good luck

Rendon LX-i
06-07-2004, 07:28 PM
I have the same problem i took my car in and said the wire to my brake melted and is tonching the body of the car telling the Brake Lamp indicater that is not working but it is. So i got to find were the wire is that is tonching and tape it up or something so it can stop shorting it self out. Maybe thats your problem. The reason i have this problem cuz i tryed wiring my Wing light to my brake so i cut into bulb and cause some problems lol

kawzone
06-08-2004, 08:08 AM
the best way is take the gauge cluseter out and paint that dumb red light black and you wont see it any more. that light is anoyin....lol

thegreatdane
06-08-2004, 12:30 PM
See page 25-66 to 25-69 in the shop manual. (available at www.pauldesign.ru)

ivanfbi
06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
the best way is take the gauge cluseter out and paint that dumb red light black and you wont see it any more. that light is anoyin....lol

Yeah, also, don't forget to paint the gas, parking brake and PGMEFI indicators and.....LOL :bow: :bow:

pixiesfan78
06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
well thanks for every ones help.i prefer to take the bulb out rather then painting it.so screw it im gonna splice the grey sockets in with the others too cause im deffinitly not trying to trace it i also had a melting problem its the inside of one of the sockets on the right side so ill be getting some new j/y wiring harnesses to.and oh yeah another right hand tail lense because the basterd leaks bad. all i can say about all this is keep an eye on your taillights guys ive probably been driving around for years not even knowing the upper lenses didnt work. thak god its still legal with just the lowers.

momo8517
06-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Yea, I don't mind putting a spot check on the brake lights, I mean, how many cars really tell you that a brake light is out? Just the 86-93 Accords, to my knowledge, so if the system is broken who the hell cares? Rip the bulb out and drive it like its any other car, checking brake lights every time you change the oil.

smufguy
06-08-2004, 10:15 PM
just run the brake light in paralled with the other. If i was you. i woudl not worry abotu anything else than just wired it up paralled to the other brake lamp. If it was the one on the trunk lid its a breeze. but if its the corner ones on the body of the car, its just gonna take a lnog wire, but nothing that cannot be done.

BlueBead
06-09-2004, 01:39 AM
splice and dice man.. those wires can handle the extra load. If your LEDs are rated a lower wattage you'd be better off putting those in whatever you splice in. Luck man!