PDA

View Full Version : Bilsteins Front, Tokico Back on H&R or Tokico springs?

Slavic
06-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I need new shocks and at least one new spring since one is sagging. I'd like you to help me decide what to get. I have an 87 Accord with the original Fittipaldi body kit which makes the car very low to begin with and is, other than the price I'm getting them for, the main reason I'm interested in the Tokico springs. They have a 1" drop as opposed to at least 1.5" from any other spring H&R being recommended sprigs around here .

So as far as the springs go my options in the order of preference are:

$50 Free S&H (from the Market Place) - Tokico 1" drop, front 66% rear 63% over stock stiffness
$149 + $25 S&H - H&R 1.5" drop, front 26% rear 41% over stock stiffness

As far as shocks I'm thinking of going with revalved Bilstens in the front, Tokico blues in the back and either Tokico or H&R springs.

Revalved Bilstens in the front due to them being the only readily available shock that can handle aftermarket springs without bounce in the front seeing that Koni Special reds are impossible to find and Tokico blues just don't cut it in the front.

Tokicos in the back because they are cheaper and will, if I'm not mistaken, offer satisfactory performance there.

As you may have realized price is my primary concern. Car is a daily driver and gets 60 miles a day mostly on the highway. I don't race, but I do drive agressively. Unless someone manages to persuade me that the softness and quality of the D&H springs is worth the money compared to Tokicos even despite the 1.5" drop as opposed to 1" I'm going the cheap route.

One thing I'm worried about is this:"Increase the front MORE than the rear and you will have more understeer." as quoted from the sticky thread. Am I going to be happy with Tokico springs in the setup as described? Are Tokico blues going to give satisfactory performance in the back? If answer to both of these questions is no, than going with aftermarket springs is going to be more money than I'm willing to spend and probably more than I paid the car to begin with.

Another option is to replace the sagging spring with a good one from my parts car and just use 4 Tokico blues or any other shocks you may recommend as superior with the stock springs.

Thanks for your input.

shepherd79
06-06-2004, 05:31 PM
i would say just replace stock springs and use tokico blues.
it will stiffen up the ride a lot without lowering.

Project-LXi
06-06-2004, 09:06 PM
I am 100% satisfied with my H&R springs and revalved bilstiens on front and rear.

Mattphi
06-06-2004, 09:14 PM
definatly just got my Tokicos on yesterday...great ride with my weapon r coilovers...DAMMMMMNNNN

thegreatdane
06-07-2004, 01:47 AM
OT: Do you have any pictures of your car? I'd like to see if the bodykit is the same as the bodykit I have.

Slavic
06-09-2004, 05:23 PM
OT: Do you have any pictures of your car? I'd like to see if the bodykit is the same as the bodykit I have.
Pic when purchased. Only one I have.:
http://home.comcast.net/~slavic/87Fittipaldi.html

definatly just got my Tokicos on yesterday...great ride with my weapon r coilovers...DAMMMMMNNNN
Judging by what I red at this forum I doubt you don't have bounce in the front, but if you're satisfied with your purchase I'm happy for you.

I know both Bilstens and Tokicos are good shocks, but I'm interested in opinions of the setup I described.

I am 100% satisfied with my H&R springs and revalved bilstiens on front and rear.

I don't doubt you are. I'm sure I would be as well if I was willing to fork over the money. What I'm interested to find out is if a setup with Bilstens in the front only and a cheaper Tokico rear set will give equivalent/satisfactory performance. As well as H&R @ $175 vs. Tokico @ $50 for springs.

Busted_Blue
06-09-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm 97% satisfied with my Tokico Setup. I have Tokico Springs/Struts all around. The thing I don't really like is it somewhat bouncy in the front. As far as being better at handling, I think its much better with the front stiffer. The rates are aboud 370lbs per inch in the front and 195lbs per inch in the rear. I think the revalved bilstiens will do wonders. On the highway my car doesnt like bumps as it feels like the car hops little more than stock. I know the front has bounce but its almost not noticable unless you are the ultimate nickpick. It still feels soft but stiffer than stock which I'm happy about.

How do you drive agressive? If it is with alot of hard corning, hope this helps. I think my car improved in handling for sure. I upgraded to 15inch tires with 205/50/15 and I'm quite happy with the tokico springs. As far as people being concern saying increasing the rear will increase oversteer, yes , but 66% in the front and %63 in the back is almost a identical raise not like the other springs that increase the rear significantly different than the front. The ride seems to be softer and a lot less bounce than I expected. People told me that there was a lot of bounce with the tokico setup but it isn't THAT bad. I've sat in a CRX with blues and weapon r coilovers and that ride was SHIIIITTTTTTT.

I paid $315 (not adding the $420 for rims/tires) for my total setup so I can't complain that much. If you are really picky, then bilstiens revalved is a must for the front at least. If you don't really mind too much, you can go with the same setup I went with.

Lemme ask you a question, do you think Tokico will make struts and springs that don't work with each other well? :dunno: I figured tokico SHOULDN'T be that stupid and took the risk. I'm happy with my setup and I hope this helps you with your decision. Only reasons I think you wouldn't like it is the small bounce or springs not being stiff enough.

here is a link to my installation :D

final pics