PDA

View Full Version : air intake/battery questions

AZmike
07-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know the benefits of the stock air intake assembly? I'd like to think that the Honda engineers put it there for a reason. Maybe just to keep it quiet (which i could care less about). What does the 'air box' under the battery do exactly? I'm trying to free up some space under the hood since i've been working on the car so much recently. I'm wondering if there are any known side-effects of removing everything ahead of the air filter box. Is the air behind the engine that it's using now likely to be enough hotter to matter? Since i use the car primarily for long highway drives i'm more concerned about fuel efficency than power.

Also, I've heard that there is a kit to move the battery to the trunk. Does anyone know who sells one or how I could put one together myself? Batteries wear out pretty fast in arizona unless they're kept cool (like in the truck away from the engine).

Thanks

rocky2
07-19-2002, 06:23 PM
Manufacters of cars make air filter housings for cold weather operation basicly. You need less air and more fuel at 20 below cold start. Thats why theres flappers on the air filter housing to draw warm air. You don't need this in hot climate. I suggest going to boneyard and modifiy a air filter housing. Cut out the sides of one around the element base. More air you'll get. Maybe more mpg's .
As far as the battery running cooler in trunk. I think it will be cooler after you shut down then being in engine compartment,but theres no vents in trunk,for the gas's to go.Old vw bugs were under the rear seat. You can get heavy gauge wire to run to the trunk,but youd have to figure out how to vent the trunk. Good luck

rocky2
07-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Sorry I just noticed you have a lxi. You can make a homemade cold air fiter setup. The air filter on lxi's is restrictive bigtime.

kennycm
08-01-2002, 07:57 AM
www.summitracing.com sells the kit to put the battery in the trunk. I'm going to order it next week.

AZmike
08-01-2002, 11:42 AM
kennycm, I checked on summit and they have a number of choices. Which one were you planning to get? I'm interested to know how well the conversion goes, how well everything fits, etc. Please let me know. Batteries last longer here when isolated from the heat of the engine.:flame: