PDA

View Full Version : Help!

86LXi|JustONE
06-06-2004, 11:41 PM
aite well my tranny is sounding real bad and when i shift there is the smell of clutch burnage.

im planning on adding new gear oil to the tranny but im not quite sure the proper way to install new oil and when theres enough in there and how to get the shift knob off...please help asap.

i know how to bleed the tranny just stumped on where to put the fluid in...=\

help help help!!!

SteveDX89
06-07-2004, 02:07 AM
There is a bolt that has a square recess on the head. Stick the ratchet in there and turn. You have to fill it using a long tube and funnel or with some kind of syringe/hand pump. It's full when the oil starts running out of the hole. To get the shift knob off, push down on the boot at the top. It's clipped onto the knob. Once you unclip it, just unscrew the knob.

Moodybluesr
06-07-2004, 02:35 AM
Whoa.........

MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET THE FILL BOLT OUT BEFORE YOU TAKE OUT THE DRAIN BOLT!

If you drain the tranny and then the fill bolt (17mm) strips on you, you'll have a big problem on your hands. The fill bolt is about 5 inches above the drain bolt and is frequently a pain in the ass to get off, so use a good six point socket and take your time.

SteveDX89
06-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Whoa.........

MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET THE FILL BOLT OUT BEFORE YOU TAKE OUT THE DRAIN BOLT!

If you drain the tranny and then the fill bolt (17mm) strips on you, you'll have a big problem on your hands. The fill bolt is about 5 inches above the drain bolt and is frequently a pain in the ass to get off, so use a good six point socket and take your time.

You can't use a six point socket on the fill bolt. It's round. It has a square recess in the head. Put the ratchet in there and turn. It's gonna take some wrenching to get it loose. I remember busting my hand up when it finally broke free.

86LXi|JustONE
06-07-2004, 03:35 AM
the tranny is accesable(sp?) from the bottom of the car right? i dont have to move anything out of the way to get to the drain plug do i?

also i hear instead of filling it through the fill screw i hear you can fill it through the port where your shifter is basically pull out the shifter and pour the fluid as of what i understand....is this true?

oo and btw how much are one of these hand pump mechanisms to pump the oil into the tranny..and is it likely they are carried at autozone.

hmm and one more question...i hear redline is the best fluid out for manual transmissions any other suggestions on what other good brands of transmission fluids would be?

SteveDX89
06-07-2004, 04:40 AM
Yes, the tranny is accesible from under the car.

Whoever told you you can pour the fluid in by the shifter should kicked in the head. If you do that, you'll just have tranny fluid all over the ground.

I got a little pump thing at Advance Auto for like 5 bucks. You'll have to fill it a lot of times but it works.

Regular motor oil is fine for manual trannies. You can also use Honda manual transmission fluid. It costs about 4 bucks a bottle though. You'll need 3 quarts of fluid.

rutterg
06-07-2004, 06:22 AM
When I change my transmission oil I use a normal funnel and attach a piece of pvc tube at the and with a bent tip. Works good enough. Normal engine oil works good in the transmission too.

Vinny
06-07-2004, 06:53 AM
You can't use a six point socket on the fill bolt. It's round. It has a square recess in the head. Put the ratchet in there and turn. It's gonna take some wrenching to get it loose. I remember busting my hand up when it finally broke free.

You were backwards Steve. The fill you can use a 6 point on and the drain you use a 3/8 drive ratchet alone to get it off

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1861tranny_fill-med.jpg

mzabeefy
06-07-2004, 06:53 AM
The fill bolt is 6 point 17 mm. The drain bolt is the round one with the square recessed head.

SteveDX89
06-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Oops. I knew one of them had the square thing.