PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what this part is for?

rutterg
06-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Hello,
Does anyone know what the function is of the oilfilterbase connected to the cooling system with two small hoses? The part is not described in the shop manual. No picture i'am afraid.
Last saturday I spotted a leak in the cooling system of my 1986 Aerodeck Exi manual. All I could see that with the engine running warm it was spraying from a small hose near the oil filter on the back of the engine. In fact it was a hose that is on one side connected to the pipe that runs from the waterpump and on the other end is connected to the oilflterbase. There was another pipe on the oilfilterbase going back to the engine block. Both pipes were fossilised, complelely worn out and cracked when I poked on them with a screw driver. It took half a day to replace them because they were almost impossible to reach. The part did not exist on my other 1986 Aerodeck but that is an automatic.
If it has no function I consider replacing the oilfilter base and never worry about it again.

IN_ONE_ACCORD
06-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Prolly oil cooler hoses if they are connected to cooling system. My mazda has one on it.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-07-2004, 08:07 AM
According to the JDM EPC, your oil filter base is actually two pieces. One mounts directly to the block. The other has the coolant hose attachments. Also, it seems that the center piece of the base is longer than on the normal filter base. It maybe a good idea to just replace the hoses and not replace the whole base. Also, there doesn't appear to be an oil cooler on any model of Accord. The reason the coolant hoses are hooked up to the oil filter base is probably for extra oil cooling.
Hope this helps. :)

HondaBoy
06-07-2004, 08:16 AM
that's definately an oil cooler. they sell aftermarket ones, i'm thinking of getting a kit here soon, although my engine runs too cool most of the time, even in the hot texas sun!

rutterg
06-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Yes it is probably two separate pieces, one of cast metal and of one metal sheet "sleeve" with two tubes. Weird place for cooling though, at the back side of the engine just above the exhaustpipe. I would think that the oil would be as hot as the coolant so what would be the point of this. I think I'll better leave it on, since it is fixed now.

carotman
06-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Yes, my B20A has this and it is an oil cooler.

pixiesfan78
06-08-2004, 04:16 PM
my a20 has oil cooler it runs into the radiator i think everybody has it unless its not an a20.the hose runs into the right side of radiator if thats not for oil then i have some seriously bad tranny fluid........lol.

AccordEpicenter
06-09-2004, 07:46 PM
i dont have it... b20s do but ive never seen one on an a20