PDA

View Full Version : ok i dont know whats going on

bobsaccord
06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
i just put in a new battery, new alternator, and i just put my subs and my amp in, i turned it on for about 5 minutes 10 max to check it out and the ne xt day go 2 start the car and nothing, no lights on dash, nothing at all. whats wrong? did the subs suck out all the battery juice or sumthing? :help:

Vinny
06-07-2004, 11:05 AM
you may have a short to ground causing the battery to drain. Or something is wired wrong. If everything was working fine before you put the amp in then you need to check that wiring. Try disconnecting the power wire for the amp and see if something is still running the battery down

bobsaccord
06-07-2004, 11:21 AM
yea im going 2 check it out in a little bit, i mean i had an electrician my mom knows wire it up for me and it worked fine, but i dont get how the car is off, nothing on at all and it just drains like that?

DanLXI88
06-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Sounds like maybe the amp it not shutting off. Make sure your AMP goes off with the head unit. While you was checking out your system did you have your car running ?

bobsaccord
06-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Sounds like maybe the amp it not shutting off. Make sure your AMP goes off with the head unit. While you was checking out your system did you have your car running ?

thanks ill check on that, and no i had the car on accesories

89dxowner
06-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Is it hooked up direct? You need to run it trough the ignition or head unit. Usually this is done with a remote wire. If your amp stays on when the car is off and everything is off then wire it up with a toggle switch That should be fine. ONLY IF THERE IS NO REMOTE JACK IN THE AMP!

bobsaccord
06-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Is it hooked up direct? You need to run it trough the ignition or head unit. Usually this is done with a remote wire. If your amp stays on when the car is off and everything is off then wire it up with a toggle switch That should be fine. ONLY IF THERE IS NO REMOTE JACK IN THE AMP!

i was talking 2 my friend 2day, he said the car needs to be running bcause the alternator will run the car instead of the battery, thats why its dead bcasue i ran it off the battery, and one ?, what is a remote jack?

DanLXI88
06-08-2004, 12:56 PM
i was talking 2 my friend 2day, he said the car needs to be running bcause the alternator will run the car instead of the battery, thats why its dead bcasue i ran it off the battery, and one ?, what is a remote jack?

It's usually a blue wire sometimes blue with a white stripe from the head unit that sends a small amount of voltage to the remote circuit on the amp and turns it on. Yeah if you’re running a system you got to run the car or you'll drain the battery quickly. They have meters you can install that will tell you how much voltage is left in the battery which is pretty nice.

bobsaccord
06-08-2004, 01:10 PM
o man..my neighbor aka the "electrician" cut that blue wire off, hes like u dont need this f'n thing and cut it right off, then i decided to take it out so i pulled it up and it lead 2 the head unit and i cut it off from there because it was pointeless 2 have at that point, is it like a really thin wire, it was blue too, what does that wire do?

Vinny
06-08-2004, 01:17 PM
its the remote turn on. It SHOULD go from the back of the Head ubit to the amp. That way the amp is only powering up when the head unit is on

DanLXI88
06-08-2004, 01:30 PM
o man..my neighbor aka the "electrician" cut that blue wire off, hes like u dont need this f'n thing and cut it right off, then i decided to take it out so i pulled it up and it lead 2 the head unit and i cut it off from there because it was pointeless 2 have at that point, is it like a really thin wire, it was blue too, what does that wire do?

Some head units come with 2 blue wires (same gauge as the rest) one usually solid blue the other with a white stripe. One is the remote turn on and the other is for a power antenna the kind that comes up automatically when the head unit is turned on. Does your Amp turn off with your head unit? Also it’s NEVER a good idea to remove a wire from the harness it's self it's always better to just cap and tape it off.

89dxowner
06-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Its better to use all the wires possible lol Thats like having extra parts after putting togeather a carburator.

hondamanlxi
06-09-2004, 12:55 PM
word of the wise: EVERYONE THINKS THEIR A MECHANIC! if you cant do it yourself , then get a pro install if possible. There is way too may shade-tree mechanics/electricans/rednecks out there!

BlueBead
06-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Two things:
1) ReRun that blue wire! If you don't your amp will kill your battery everyday.
2) Either get a deep cycle battery, or run the car when you run your amp

bobsaccord
06-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I DID IT!!!!! thanks for the help you guys wouldnt be able 2 figure out what the fuck 2 do if u guys didnt help lol so my neighbor told me hed help figure out what went on and i told him that blue wire shouldnt of been cut hes like alright and sicne hes an electrician got some of his wires and spliced it to the little peice that was left of the blue one :) he connected it to REM remote right? and he also fixed my windsheild wipers, blown fuse so now this car is rockin and sockin he filled up my power steering fluid and brake fluid so the brake lamp light went off, this is illlllllll lol
o yea b4 he did all this he charged my battery, damn that amp runs a battery down quick!!

89dxowner
06-11-2004, 03:57 PM
No problem man, anytime. :)

BlueBead
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
I guess your neighbour felt like a nob after that; must be why he did those extras for you. I'm glad you've got it fixed though, and hopefully this thread will keep others from getting stuck like you were. You're a 'trailblazer' -LMAO