PDA

View Full Version : very nice gain!!!!!!

oneslammedlxi
06-07-2004, 07:51 PM
well, i went outside to see if i needed to get a new belt in order to get rid of my a/c and power steering, and found that there on there own belts, so i took them off, and decided to take the car for a test drive...and HOLY CRAP

i felt a VERY noticable gain!
throttle response is AWESOME

i couldnt believe the extra jolt it gave me...

88accordhb
06-07-2004, 08:00 PM
so now you're living with out ps or ac. lol with the performance of our cars, it's a waste to not have these luxuries since they're slow to begin with. unless youre planing to do substantial modifications.

Sabz5150
06-07-2004, 08:05 PM
I was suprised when I yanked my power steering belt. I just got pissed at the thing squealing all the time (had a leak), so I ripped the bugger off. After that I completely removed the power steering system. Glad to see it go, actually. After that my A/C made it's way out. That was enough deadweight and engine bay clutter to kill a person!

And now...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/21000-21999/21859_2_full.jpg

It's an old pic, but look at the space! No more having to be a contortionist to work on your engine!

BlueBead
06-07-2004, 08:22 PM
how does it handle without the PS?? I used to have an old school '80 accord hatch (my 1st set of wheels) and it was a bitch to steer at low speeds. I guess the fact that it needed an alignment in a big way didn't help, but how much did steering change on your 3g???

johndej
06-07-2004, 08:33 PM
i've driven a few cars w/out power steering and it wasn't much of a prob after you got used to it. i drove my friends car (RX-7 w/out PS) and it was great untill i had to parallel park it. oh well, i'm leaving mine on cause if its not broken its still useful and i like my ac.

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2004, 09:13 PM
ive gained about 1-2 tenths just by taking off the ps line... However, i hate to drive the car like that and it pisses me off so i always put it back on

88accordhb
06-07-2004, 10:12 PM
yah agreed, test drove a bunch of cx eg hatches, they were bitchy as hell, steering goin above 25 is no problem but parking and junk totally sucked.

Robs89LXi
06-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Isn't it a bad idea? Don't you lose lubrication to your steering box?

soljaboy2000
06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Yeah I took my PS off because of two leaks but I think since then my arms gotten stronger from driving to work everyday that the steering is not bad now. :)

oneslammedlxi
06-08-2004, 01:10 PM
the car handles fine, the steering is actually a little more responsive actually, i drove my old galant without a p/s pump for a LONG time, and i decided to put one on when i sold it, and everything still worked perfect, so i guess it wont hurt anything, i drove it like that for about 2 years, we dont really need p/s on our cars unless a girl is driving, c'mon guys, it isnt that bad....then again....i do have a hatch

as far as air goes.....i prefer to have the windows down over the air being on any day...so...eh lol

HondaBoy
06-08-2004, 01:18 PM
i think i may take mine off. the P/S rack and pinion went out last year some time, i had it replaced, and it just doesnt work at all. i loved having it when it was the original one. i think i should take that bitch off and have the rack replaced for free because its under a lifetime warrenty. or, i could always just take the shit off and save some weight, but that was a bit of money to spend replacing it before.

unc25
06-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I dont think my car has it...But then again maybe Im retarded?

Sometimes when I am driving at low speeds it feels like I have it but sometimes it feels like I dont. It doesnt really bother me and I dont really care to have it checked out. BUt I have a DX and I figured maybe the thing just didnt come with power steering?

88accordalltheway
06-08-2004, 01:35 PM
about a month after i got my car, there was a bolt on my powersteering pump that came all the way out and was hitting the feakin pully. It scared the shit out of me cause i had just got my car. The bold eventually came far out enough that it hit the pully and knocked it out. NOw my powersteering pully is all wabbly. When ig et enough money im going to replace the powersteering pump and get performance pullys. how much you guys think it might be?(sorry for whoring this thread up)

Bloodlust
06-08-2004, 01:39 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. It is so stupid to remove AC and PS from a car to gain maybe a tenth of a second on a quarter mile. Now ur going to be sweating your ass off on those 100 degree days. :thumbup:

speedpenguin
06-08-2004, 02:07 PM
maybe for 1/4 mile times, but weight is essential for autocross, and the handling does improve w/o PS, especially now that you can really tell what the wheels are doing.
as for lubrication, connect the two hoses so you can keep PS fluid in the steering rack, it'll work fine.

oneslammedlxi
06-08-2004, 07:19 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. It is so stupid to remove AC and PS from a car to gain maybe a tenth of a second on a quarter mile. Now ur going to be sweating your ass off on those 100 degree days. :thumbup:

eh, it would be stupid IF it was ever over 100 degrees here.....its never really hot enough here to make me use my a/c, and i prefer to have the wind blow on the instead (im weird...i know)

but i did get a suprising gain from it, and it is amazing when you can feel a good gain from a car with a slushbox, i cant wait till i can get rid of my daned auto....

oneslammedlxi
06-08-2004, 07:20 PM
about a month after i got my car, there was a bolt on my powersteering pump that came all the way out and was hitting the feakin pully. It scared the shit out of me cause i had just got my car. The bold eventually came far out enough that it hit the pully and knocked it out. NOw my powersteering pully is all wabbly. When ig et enough money im going to replace the powersteering pump and get performance pullys. how much you guys think it might be?(sorry for whoring this thread up)

i'll sell you mine for 20.00

Sabz5150
06-08-2004, 07:28 PM

Air conditioning is for wimps... just roll the windows down, open the moonroof and go!

oneslammedlxi
06-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Air conditioning is for wimps... just roll the windows down, open the moonroof and go!
:stupid: :devil:

88accordhb
06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
we dont really need p/s on our cars unless a girl is driving, c'mon guys, it isnt that bad
wat? you think driving without p/s is a workout? lol damn dude you must be buff as fuck! it's not that were weak and need p/s, it's that we're smarter than the average bear to leave it on...dude it's a 3g, unless you got a car like johnny o, p/s is just the extra thing that makes our car just a little bit better...personally, with many exceptions, i think our cars is not that fast or anything, so why would you wanna downgrade it by removing ac and ps, weight reduction my ass!

smufguy
06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
well IMO the no pwr steering stuff is in the reverse order. Removing the pwr steering is for girls who cant spend extra cash to beef up their car. THey wanna remove every single stuff in the engine bay, let alone connected to their engine and say its quicker. Soon ill be packing more power than i ever thought off, and hell if i wanted to, i can keep my ac and my pwr steering and still pull easy 13s. But my AC is dead anyway so fuck that, and with PS, well im keepin it, cause the so called 'power loss' from it, is gonna be minute to what the grand total would be :) :dunno:

88accordhb
06-08-2004, 10:25 PM
well IMO the no pwr steering stuff is in the reverse order. Removing the pwr steering is for girls who cant spend extra cash to beef up their car.
darn diddly arn 100% right!

oneslammedlxi
06-09-2004, 01:24 AM
well...everyone is entitled to there own opinions, i guess it could be me though, i am a little built, have been weightlifting since i was 11 (my father was a weightlifter)

i dont know...but it doesnt bug me and it gives a little extra oomph for free, and that all that counts i guess..

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 08:04 AM
:cool: cool

cvergi01
06-09-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm gonna do it, because I don't have the money to beef up my car and I like no PS better...you are actually controlling the car instead of turning the wheel

Bloodlust
06-09-2004, 08:26 AM
well...everyone is entitled to there own opinions, i guess it could be me though, i am a little built, have been weightlifting since i was 11 (my father was a weightlifter)

Yeah I play the piano like a veteran, (My dad was a piano mover :D )

I dont know, I just figure if ur looking to lose 20 pounds by removing power streering just to gain a little speed, ill tell you a couple other ways to lose 20 pounds without even having to take it out and drive ur car much more comfortably:

1.) Go on the Hollywood diet. Dont eat for a weekend and run on the threadmill.
2.) Take an enormous shit.
3.) If you happen to do both of these in the same weekend you have lost roughly 40 pounds. :D

Please excuse my earlier comments, Im feeling a little sarcastic today.

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 08:43 AM
1.) Go on the Hollywood diet. Dont eat for a weekend and run on the threadmill.
2.) Take an enormous shit.
3.) If you happen to do both of these in the same weekend you have lost roughly 40 pounds. :D

lol :lol: :rofl:

I'm gonna do it, because I don't have the money to beef up my car
lol i can tell from your coffe can hood scoop. hehe. nahh jk i admire the dedication and good luck with your project car. heeh.

cvergi01
06-09-2004, 08:53 AM
lol, I hate you

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 08:55 AM
lol, I hate you
nooo! man don't hate me, hate leads to anger, anger leads to war, war leads to deathh! or something yoda would say.

cvergi01
06-09-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm sorry man, it was just a moment that I was feeling venerable and that coffee can bit really hit home :crying: :)

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry man, it was just a moment that I was feeling venerable and that coffee can bit really hit home :crying: :)
hhahahhaha....lol YOU SUCK!!!hehe

oneslammedlxi
06-09-2004, 10:44 AM
the power steering pump only weights like 5 lbs...... :d

speedpenguin
06-09-2004, 05:18 PM
whatever.
i'm not taking out the powrsteering for weight loss, i'm taking it out for the better control.

well IMO the no pwr steering stuff is in the reverse order. Removing the pwr steering is for girls who cant spend extra cash to beef up their car. THey wanna remove every single stuff in the engine bay, let alone connected to their engine and say its quicker. Soon ill be packing more power than i ever thought off, and hell if i wanted to, i can keep my ac and my pwr steering and still pull easy 13s. But my AC is dead anyway so fuck that, and with PS, well im keepin it, cause the so called 'power loss' from it, is gonna be minute to what the grand total would be
you only lose power when the AC isn't on. you don't lose the power if your AC doesn't work... in fact if it doesn't work, you might as well take it out unless you're going to fix it.

k-roy
06-09-2004, 08:40 PM
whatever.
i'm not taking out the powrsteering for weight loss, i'm taking it out for the better control.
Amen to that brother. After a near death experience from a quadruple lane change at 100mph I ripped out the belt immediately. The pump itself weighs 9 pounds, the lines maybe 2 or 3 lbs and the damn bracket is at least 10 pounds of cast Iron.

I have not had power steering in nearly 3 years without a single problem. The fluid is pressurized to help turn the rack. The actual gearing on the rack is internally lubricated (verified by a Honda of America employee).

I took the AC out because the condinser, lines and compressor were all shot to hell.

88accordhb
06-09-2004, 09:17 PM
you almost got an acident at 100mph? lol wow some dangerous shit!

k-roy
06-09-2004, 09:21 PM
you almost got an acident at 100mph? lol wow some dangerous shit!
The p/s is overkill in my opinion. I managed to destroy my passenger side mirror because I overshot the line in the slow lane by 3 feet and hit a concrete divider.

smufguy
06-09-2004, 10:47 PM
our power steering is pwr assit as u know. Which means its smoother at low speed and reduces the assist as the speed increases. So if u were gonna crash at high speed, then its your misjudgement. I dont think i would ever will trash my pwr steering, let alone to say i never will. Its something i dont mind having at all. But hey, if u really want no power steering, get a non-power steering rack, its cause the gearing is different on those compared to the power-steering rack ones. SO its better.

oneslammedlxi
06-10-2004, 08:49 AM
hell, im used to the 4th gen civic forum on a/f and the 240sxforums.com where everyone is like a big happy family, you guys feud entirely way too much..
if you dont like it, its alot easyer to not post.....

oneslammedlxi
06-10-2004, 08:53 AM
oh, and before someone says "shutup newb" keep in mind, that i have prolly been around ALOT longer than you, i was posting on the ezboard days as oneslammedlx (i was the one with the black primered lowered lx sedan w/ shaved doors, moulding, and middle taillight section), and from then...the only person i remember from the old board that still posts is carotman

so if anyone has right to "flame the newb" it would be carotman himself

88accordhb
06-10-2004, 09:34 AM
oh, and before someone says "shutup newb" keep in mind, that i have prolly been around ALOT longer than you, i was posting on the ezboard days as oneslammedlx (i was the one with the black primered lowered lx sedan w/ shaved doors, moulding, and middle taillight section), and from then...the only person i remember from the old board that still posts is carotman

good for you man! and you said if you don't like it then don't post, then wat the f' is the whole point of the forum? we're here to share our ideas. and if you can't handle what others say because it opposses your beliefs...well then i don't know wat to tell you, if you don't like what i say, then don't listen, but you can't stop people from posting dude.

DanLXI88
06-10-2004, 09:56 AM
good for you man! and you said if you don't like it then don't post, then wat the f' is the whole point of the forum? we're here to share our ideas. and if you can't handle what others say because it opposses your beliefs...well then i don't know wat to tell you, if you don't like what i say, then don't listen, but you can't stop people from posting dude.

:werd: His entire rant made no sense why did he make it at all? :dunno:

oneslammedlxi
06-10-2004, 11:19 AM
i just wanted to let people know that you get a little more power from doing the things i posted than most would expect by doing so...sorry for being retarded about it, i was just flamed on another forum for asking if nitto 555's were very good, and they replyed "why dont you buy them and see, and quit waisting our time"

i asked so i wouldnt be wasting my money if they are shitty tires...

anyway, yea....i'll shut up now

cvergi01
06-10-2004, 11:59 AM

EDIT: You make a good point, so do you smuf

smufguy
06-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Here we go again, another child fight. dang. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DanLXI88
06-10-2004, 02:03 PM
i just wanted to let people know that you get a little more power from doing the things i posted than most would expect by doing so...sorry for being retarded about it, i was just flamed on another forum for asking if nitto 555's were very good, and they replyed "why dont you buy them and see, and quit waisting our time"

anyway, yea....i'll shut up now
The thread is a good idea ( I am now considering trying it since I need to replace the belt anyway.) I just didn't understand you last 2 posts. They seem to have come from no place :dunno:

oneslammedlxi
06-10-2004, 02:38 PM
lol, i was just being a baby, alot of boards flame the newbies, and i figured i was going to get it here for some reason.....i dunno, this 3geez, 4th gen civic section of automotive forums, and 240sxforums.com are the only places i can stand to be, the guys at preludepower.com seem alright sofar (at least in the 2nd gen section) but oh man....the guys at hondatech at a whole bunch of dirty assholes....i mean...why would you flame a new person asking a legit question....?

anyway, im just rambling on again, so im gonna go outside and start ripping the engine out of my 'cord :D

oneslammedlxi
06-10-2004, 02:39 PM
oh....and anyone HERE know if nitto 555's are worth there price?

cvergi01
06-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Lmfao :rofl:

dXsquared
06-10-2004, 06:01 PM
what is this "power steering" and "air conditioning" you guys talk about???

:)

Travis

88accordhb
06-10-2004, 07:27 PM
lol sorry if i offended anyone, here goes, do wat ever you want whenever you want how you want, as long as youre happy at the result then that's all that matters. :)

SharkyX
06-10-2004, 08:40 PM
im planning on pulling my PS only becasue of the fack that it sucks so much damn juice when im turning at sharp angles and crap, our poor little altenators are bad enough as it is dont need any more stress on them lol gotta save that for my amp, AC dont work no way so may as well go. Ive been driving 91-92 Sentras for a while with no PS and i do get better response without the PS.

AccordEpicenter
06-10-2004, 09:23 PM
there is more feel in the steering when you have the ps belt off... For turning corners hard and for general drivability i put it back on when not racing

Micah 89LXi
06-15-2004, 12:43 AM
how hard is it to remove and replace the belt
...cause i think i may want to try this...ive been wanting rack and pinion steering for a while...when im going around a curve and hit a road seam or something the wheel keeps turning and messes up my steering...and i dont really use the a/c much either...but can i easily remove and replace both these belts?...cause i would like to try this tommorow if i can...wouldnt pulling the fuses for both do the same thing or do the belts still spin?

Micah 89LXi
06-15-2004, 12:50 AM
truely i think it would be good if our power steering ratio was reduced...i mean all i gotta do is throw the wheel and the tank turns...spins way too easy..IMO...once power steering removed...is there a way to make it more like other cars with rack and pinion..cause it seemed way harder to turn than other cars ive driven without it

BlueBead
06-15-2004, 01:08 AM
After all of this discussion, I think I'm going to keep my PS, but remove my AC belt during the winter. I don't use it except for a few weeks in a year, and I'll get better gas mileage without it slowing the crank. Am I going to lose the charge from the AC system if I dont run it often? I don't pay much attn to things I don't use. I'd really like to have an AC system I could put in and pull out easily without recharging, but that would be a project for something a little more deserving ($600 car = beat it with a stick).
When I really want to make power, I'll just go put some insurance on the BEAST
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/598000-598999/598315_1.jpg]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/598000-598999/598315_31.jpg
Series 1 XJ w/ Chev350&350T tranny

BlueBead
06-15-2004, 01:18 AM
micah, the belts are what drives the compressor in the AC (I know that much anyways) and the PS pump. The belts are easy to take off... just follow the replacement procedure in the manual (which someone on here has posted) but taking out any fuses would just Eff the systems up.
Usually all you do is loosen the belt tensioner and any mounting bolts that are keeping the belt on, take the belt off, and then tighten everything back down so it wont be in the way.
I like your idea on reducing the PS ratio, that would be alot better. I don't really want the granny steering, and there is no way I'm going back to 'armstrong' steering in my lazy car.
one thing.. don't throw out those belts.. they might be really handy this summer!

A20A1
06-15-2004, 02:05 AM
No Fuses... just remove the belt... you won't get the wieght reduction... but you'll still have less strain on the motor.

A20A1
06-15-2004, 02:14 AM
well IMO the no pwr steering stuff is in the reverse order. Removing the pwr steering is for girls who cant spend extra cash to beef up their car. THey wanna remove every single stuff in the engine bay, let alone connected to their engine and say its quicker. Soon ill be packing more power than i ever thought off, and hell if i wanted to, i can keep my ac and my pwr steering and still pull easy 13s. But my AC is dead anyway so fuck that, and with PS, well im keepin it, cause the so called 'power loss' from it, is gonna be minute to what the grand total would be :) :dunno:

You got something in that post right, I'm not gonna say what... :D
BTW my ps and ac is gone'rz

oh, and before someone says "shutup newb" keep in mind, that I have prolly been around ALOT longer than you, i was posting on the ezboard days as oneslammedlx (i was the one with the black primered lowered lx sedan w/ shaved doors, moulding, and middle taillight section), and from then...the only person i remember from the old board that still posts is carotman

I've been on sice ezboard#2... :sadwave:
I'm not as popular I guess. :dunno:

smufguy
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
You got something in that post right, I'm not gonna say what... :D BTW my ps and ac is gone'rz
I've been on sice ezboard#2... :sadwave:
I'm not as popular I guess. :dunno:

Get the hell outta here. You are not popular??? Damn, you are the popular-istic, carb-freak, on this forum. You need to hush up mister :).

Hehehe, i got something right on my post, everything is right lil boy ;) btw, i saw your pic in the "how you look like" thread. looking good "OZZY".